[Archive] A pair of questions about War Machines

Karring:

How exactly works the increase of Toughness and Wounds of a Hellbound war machine?

I think the war machine still use its resistance (7+1) only against shooting attacks but, what about that extra wound? Have I to treat it like the WM had an extra crewman? Or does this wound belongs to the machine, and enemy has to roll against the WM resistance? What wound is lost first?

Quite confusing for me, sorry…

Have Machines in a Steam Carriage to be deployed at the same time, included the Iron daemon?

Do Magma Cannon and Deathshrieker Rocket lose Flaming Attacks if they become Hellbound?

Thank you very much, men:hat off

Thommy H:

The answer to the first question is: no one knows. There’s is actually no way to increase a war machine’s Wounds value without adding additional crew, because the two things - Wounds and number of crew - are completely, irrevocably synonymous in 8th Edition. Forge World just seemed to have missed this part of the rules. The Toughness is fairly easy - you add it to the actual war machine’s Toughness (to give a total of 8, usually) which is then used against everything but close combat attacks (which will affect the crew’s Toughness instead).

I think the only way to really play it is to give the machine a “bonus” Wound, which it has to lose before you start taking off crew models.

For your other questions:

• Yes, all war machines are deployed at the same time as usual. The Iron Daemon isn’t a war machine of course (it’s Unique), so you actually have to deploy it a separate time from anything on a steam carriage that it’s pulling. I don’t believe they become a unit.

Karring:

Exactly, is that “crew = wound” which confuse me. So… we hope FW clarify this fact.
So, crew increase their toughness in close combat to-for T5?

Why would they?

Thommy H
As special rules section of Warhammer Rulebook mentions, attacks made with magic weapons do not count as flaming. My game group use to interpret this like “magic attaks never can be flaming unless its rules specify it was flaming and magical at the time” (flaming rune of Dwarfs, magic weapons giving flaming attacks, etc).
However… I think is ridiculous you pay 25 points for losing an ability. And Rulebook says “attack made with magic weapon”, no “magic attacks”.

Thommy H:

So, crew increase their toughness in close combat to-for T5?
No, just the war machine. The machine is Hellbound, not the Chaos Dwarfs firing it.
As special rules section of Warhammer Rulebook mentions, attacks made with magic weapons do not count as flaming.
What that means is, if a model has the Flaming Attacks special rule and wields a magic weapon, Attacks made with that weapon aren't Flaming (the same caveat applies to spells cast as well). That doesn't mean that magical attacks can never be Flaming. Magical attacks aren't the same thing as a magic weapon.