[Archive] A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones from LOTR Models

Sticklander:

[align=center]~ Sticklander’s A Song of Ice and Fire Blog ~

Introduction[/align]

Peter Jackson’s LOTR trilogy was released in a pivotal point in my childhood, and so became my number one obsession(along with Star Wars, Pokemon, Warhammer, action figures hitting my siblings with sticks, tag, dogs, cats, Lego, the idea of me being a cat, friends, trees, the beano, etcetcetc…)!

Already possessing more than a passing interest in Warhammer this resulted in me (and my brothers) culminating a wealth of GW LOTR miniatures, many of which have scattered to the four winds, simply vanished, or been eaten by a small child/dog.

Those that have survived through the years I now treasure as relics of my past (albeit, not too distant past, but past is past no matter how past it is). However, I have no drive to paint them, which means they get left to no use, and merely take up space. I have sold some which didn’t hold much of a place in my nostalgia, but those I wish to keep I have put to a better use: trying to turn them into A Song of Ice and Fire characters with as little conversion as possible. ASOIAF holding the coveted position of my current number one obsession(amongst Warhammer, Chaos Dwarfs, painting, acting, writing, money, my girlfriend, boardgames, Shakespeare, George R R Martin’s health, etcetcetc)!

So without further ado, here are my first completed models!

[align=center]~ Asha and Balon Greyjoy ~ [/align]

[align=center]‘I am the Greyjoy, Lord Reaper of Pyke, King of Salt and Rock, Son of the Sea Wind, and no man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price. I will take my crown, as Urron Redhand did five thousand years ago.’ - Balon Greyjoy

‘Asha Greyjoy did not intend to be taken alive. She would die as she had lived, with an axe in her hand and a laugh upon her lips.’ - Asha Greyjoy [/align]

[align=center]

[/align]

Original models are Eowyn and Denethor.

For these two, and future Greyjoy models, I stuck to a sea theme, so blues, greens, greys.

Their capes especially look like water, though Asha’s is a bit too bright I think. I was also pleased that I managed to get their House sigil, a golden Kraken, on with little hassle for such fine detail.

I had thoughts of making Asha’s hair closer to the length it is in the books, but the conversion would be beyond my skill. Changing her sword to an axe would be easier, but I have another Eowyn model with which I mean to convert her hair and give her an axe.

Overall, I really like how these two came out, and I’m looking forward to completing Euron Crow’s Eye, and starting work on Aeron.

I’m having a hard time choosing a model to convert for Victarion. I was thinking of using Grimbold. Have any of you read ASOAIF, and can think of a good LOTR model to use?

All feedback is welcomed! :smiley:

MadHatter:

Nice and well done!

Haven’t read the books but I love the series. The Greyjoy’s are my favourite house :slight_smile:

Bloodbeard:

We do not sow!

Your Greyjoy models are great Sticklander, what a brilliant idea. Fantastic. And Denothor is perfect for Balon bot in model and similar to the LotR character. Now give me the real badass Greyjoys - the brohers of Balon.

…George R R Martin’s health.

Sticklander
This is one of humanities top priorities as a race. Being his age and size ombined with his “I take my time on my books” - doesn’t give great odds for a finished book series.

I do respect his choice as an author - but as a fan I’m still anxious.

And how his gonna finish up all the story lines (and combine the major ones) in two books is beyond me. Especially with statements like “book six will take us farther beyond the wall than ever before, we haven’t seen nothing here yet.”

Sticklander:

We do not sow!

Your Greyjoy models are great Sticklander, what a brilliant idea. Fantastic. And Denothor is perfect for Balon bot in model and similar to the LotR character. Now give me the real badass Greyjoys - the brohers of Balon.

Bloodbeard
Thanks, Bloodbeard! Denethor and Balon definitely share similarities, but I think Balon is more of a man of action than Denethor was. But at least Faramir doesn't come to a fate as worse as Theon's...
Euron and Aeron are next in line, and Victarion shall follow soon after, once I decide what model to use for him.
...George R R Martin's health.

Sticklander
This is one of humanities top priorities as a race. Being his age and size ombined with his "I take my time on my books" - doesn't give great odds for a finished book series.

I do respect his choice as an author - but as a fan I'm still anxious.

And how his gonna finish up all the story lines (and combine the major ones) in two books is beyond me. Especially with statements like "book six will take us farther beyond the wall than ever before, we haven't seen nothing here yet."

Bloodbeard
I believe he will release TWOW just before the next season comes out, as I think there will be material from that book in it. That way everyone will rush out to read it, not just because it's the next book, but because they don't want the show to spoil the books for them! However, ADOS will be longer in the coming, he just won't be able to have it out in time for the next season.

I have faith he can wrap up the series in the next two books, I mean they are big books, haha!
Nice and well done!

Haven't read the books but I love the series. The Greyjoy's are my favourite house :)

MadHatter
Thanks, MadHatter!
My favourite house moves between Stark, Martell, and Greyjoy. Oh, and Bolton ;)

torn:

I am a lannister fan, Although i did read the books a while before the tv show was announced. I like how they are making subtle changes between the books and tv shows.

As far as your models go i think they are great. There are some official game of thrones miniatures but they are old so not based on tv actors, and also quite expensive. I tried using lotr rules to play a game of thrones skirmish game and perry miniatures medieval stuff works very well. I cant wait to see what else you do.

As for georges health, fingers crossed. Worst case scenario someone else can finish it. I think Joe abercrombie would do a good job.

Grimstonefire:

I think Gollum would make a good Reek.

Dînadan:

Grimstonefire
He'd be far too small - he's only Hobbit sized.

Sticklander:

Grimstonefire

Dînadan
Yes, I thought that was an idea. Even if he is Hobbit sized, that could show how much he's been changed, perhaps? But that's the point of this project, make what I can with what's offered from the LOTR range.
I am a lannister fan, Although i did read the books a while before the tv show was announced. I like how they are making subtle changes between the books and tv shows.

As far as your models go i think they are great. There are some official game of thrones miniatures but they are old so not based on tv actors, and also quite expensive. I tried using lotr rules to play a game of thrones skirmish game and perry miniatures medieval stuff works very well. I cant wait to see what else you do.

As for georges health, fingers crossed. Worst case scenario someone else can finish it. I think Joe abercrombie would do a good job.

torn
I wish I had read the books before the series came out, but I was fortunate enough to see the first season when it came out, and could have all the other books to experience the story for the first time! I do appreciate some of the changes they make, but most changes don't seem to make much sense. However, I shouldn't complain, as it's a great series.

Thank you! Darkforge miniatures make them, I believe. I was interested in them, but as you said they're pricey, and not the best sculpts in my opinion. I had thought of using Perry miniatures too for units, but at the moment I'm looking to just use LOTR miniatures for characters.

I don't know many other contemporary fantasy writers really, so I can't say who would be able to take the ASOIAF torch.

Dînadan:

Grimstonefire

Dînadan
Yes, I thought that was an idea. Even if he is Hobbit sized, that could show how much he's been changed, perhaps? But that's the point of this project, make what I can with what's offered from the LOTR range.

Sticklander
That's one scary torture Ramsey's using if he can make a person shrink by two-three feet without lopping legs off :o

Do you have a Gollum? If not I can snap some pics of one next to other LotR minis so you can judge whether it's worth investing in one.

Sticklander:

Grimstonefire

Dînadan

Sticklander
That's one scary torture Ramsey's using if he can make a person shrink by two-three feet without lopping legs off :o

Do you have a Gollum?  If not I can snap some pics of one next to other LotR minis so you can judge whether it's worth investing in one.

Dînadan
Vargo Hoat might have had a hand in this it seems ;)

I've had plenty of Gollum's in my time, but at the moment I have only the one of him sat on the rock, with a fish. If I did decide to use him as Reek, I'd probably get a new Gollum.

Dînadan:

Grimstonefire

Dînadan

Sticklander

Do you have a Gollum?  If not I can snap some pics of one next to other LotR minis so you can judge whether it's worth investing in one.

Dînadan
Vargo Hoat might have had a hand in this it seems ;)

I've had plenty of Gollum's in my time, but at the moment I have only the one of him sat on the rock, with a fish. If I did decide to use him as Reek, I'd probably get a new Gollum.

Sticklander
Are there any Gollums not on rocks? ;p