[Archive] A Tamurkhan/Mantic army!

Sandy Death:

Hi Members,

Often I though of putting together a Chaos Dwarf army just for the fun of it. ( I have several units of CDs I picked up years ago from a friend ) But prices for the OOP GWS units and the new Forgeworld CD line are exorbitant to say the least.

But doing some searching around I found the Tamurkhan book at a pretty decent price and picked it up. What seems to be the case is this contains an official approved GW WFB Chaos Army list. Plus it’s pretty interesting. Is this true?

Like I said GWS and FW models are real expensive. But then I discovered the Mantic (UK) site and they have a line of nice CD models at a very reasonable price.

Has anyone put together a Mantic CD army? Or a mixed GWS Mantic unit army? Have you encountered any problems in using them?

Lastly the Mantic line has a unit of half breed calvary that comes on a 25 x 50 mm base. I believe this could be a nice alternative to the Bull Centaur Renders. Especially pricewise. They’re about $25 of a unit of TEN. The Forgeworld guys are 3 for about $85. Can anyone tell me if these Mantic guys could be used as a replacement? Also what is the base size of the FW BCRENDERS?

Thanks

Samanos:

the problem with the halfbreeds is they are too small compared with the fw bulls.

fw bulls come at 50x75 bases and they are HUGE (no really huge!)…

I fear the halfbreeds will look very spaced out in those bases.

Sandy Death:

the problem with the halfbreeds is they are too small compared with the fw bulls.
fw bulls come at 50x75 bases and they are HUGE (no really huge!)...

I fear the halfbreeds will look very spaced out in those bases.

Samanos
Wow! A chariot base is 50 x 100mm so the FW BC RENDERS are huge. And you're right, to put that small of a model on that large of a base would looks rediculous. For a while I thought of using GWS Dragon Ogres but even those guys, whose base is 40 x 40mm wouldn't look proportional on a 75 x 50mm base.
How did FW ever come up with that size?
Yeah, I was thinking for $58 I'd pick up 20 halfbreeds and be able to place 2 nice units on the table.

Sandy

Samanos:

some people used bloodcrushers and minautars/ogre parts to make them. you might wanna try this but i dont know if its cost effective

gashnag:

some people used bloodcrushers and minautars/ogre parts to make them. you might wanna try this but i dont know if its cost effective

Samanos
I made mine from black orcs and boar bodies to make mine before fw released theirs but I'm happy with their size. They fit fine on 50x50 but I could put them on 50x75 no problem but with 24 bull centaurs it could take some time to do so

Geist:

The one problem I have with the mantic range, is all the odd weird bits they put on every single model. I swear one of the mantic chaos dwarfs has a car head light on his helm. Really? WTF?

Blackspine:

The one problem I have with the mantic range, is all the odd weird bits they put on every single model.  I swear one of the mantic chaos dwarfs has a car head light on his helm.  Really?  WTF?

Geist
I have to say, it's the oddity that makes them amazing. They're more chaotic than the FW ones, that's for sure.

Everyone has different tastes, and some people may want mantic's. I have a ton of the Abyssal Dwarves, and just haven't gotten around to assembling them yet. There's some pretty amazing stuff in there.

The "warmachine" that's a demonic mouth and tongue is pretty amazing. Could make a great budget "death shrieker"

Far2Casual:

I use Mantic Miniatures for Infernal Guards & Hobgoblins (their new Goblins are perfect), and it works nice. It makes the army MUCH cheaper and let you concentrate on the beautiful miniatures from FW instead.

I use the machines, the characters and the monsters from FW/GW. As long as you keep your color scheme uniform, it poses no problem to mix them up. Plus Mantic actually has an option for Blunderbusses, GW AND HW/shield. And it’s possible to make an “okay conversion” with Mantic CD shooters + some halberds bits.

burock:

i have a mainly mantic-based CD army currently. you can see them on my blog.

good luck…