[Archive] Aaroon's Tiny-Hat Blog of Shame [Updated 10-18-13 Paint Test 1.1]

Aaroon42:

No real picture update tonight. Got all ten Infernal Guard washed with sepia then highlighted with Hashut again. Got the preliminary Sycorax edging done on two models before I called it a night.

I’m going to have to make a decision real soon on one of my main waffling points with the color scheme though. I can’t decide if the gold trim on the shoulder guards is going to clash badly with the rest of the model since I’m doing the scheme with normal metallics. Hopefully I’ll have enough of the colors blocked out soon to get a good picture and get everyone’s opinion.

Speaking of which, looks like I need to get cracking on 23 more shield cut-outs. :smiley:

Aaroon42:

Alright, got Sycorax and Runefang Steel highlights on one guy, plus blocked/washed/highlighted the iron colors.

The colors (yet again) look a little off on the ipad camera. The biggest thing I’m trying to figure out is what I want to use to for the accent colors for the shoulder plates/elbow accouterments.

Gold too gaudy? Iron too boring? I think I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and paint one each way… :~

Fuggit Khan:

Gold too gaudy? Iron too boring? I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and paint one each way... :~

Aaroon42
Gold is always a tough call...I've seen armies painted up in shades of gold and they looked wonderful, but I think there is a fine line where too much gold starts to look 'pimped out' for my taste. But by all means, go with the gold, it looks good pretty good so far...and just experiment with accents and highlights/secondary colors to get the 'feel' you're looking for.
And I like the fact that you get as much paint on your fingers as I do ;)

Admiral:

The metals are good, although I would have broken up the large upper body gold block with some iron and non-metallic parts. I’m not sure if this might help you in any way at all, but if you want to do something out of the ordinary for the gold’s shading you could always take a look at the painted Dwarfs of Fire Canyon from Russian Alternative for inspiration.

Nicodemus:

I like it. I think you’re on the right track and once you finalize a colour for the shoulder pads and elbow trim it will help the overall scheme. For these you almost need something bright and vibrant, or go dark but use a sharp bright highlight along the edges, sort of like an obsidian look.

Yodrin:

Looks good I think. LF to seeing it done;)

Aaroon42:

Got some iron on them.

Everything seems to be moving right along. Been an INCREDIBLY shitty week though… think I’m gonna go blow $120 on some K’Daai… :hat

Abecedar:

I’ll add my applause for your efforts. As a “Helm & Mask” devotee, I don’t believe in Hat-Envy. But I have to admit they grew on me too and fluff-wise had to delegate that the big hats be the more important / senior warriors and leaders as the army got bigger

Bloodbeard:

The ekstra iron on the shoulders work!