[Archive] Aaroon's Tiny-Hat Blog of Shame [Updated 10-18-13 Paint Test 1.1]

Aaroon42:

Alright folks, time for me to start pulling progress over here. Some of you may have seen my first fledgling posts over in “Ideas and Advice”, where I started asking for help on my BSB. I’ve started getting into enough of the meat of the army that I’m going to start a blog over here to hopefully keep myself spurred into action.

So for those of you who hadn’t seen it. I can to the CDO forums with a BSB that looked like this:

And left with one that looked more like this:

Now, that guy still needs a lot of work and I’ve really got to get my courage up to tackle the green-stuffing portion of that conversion (as well as figure out what the devil he’ll be holding in his right hand).

Anyhow, here’s the beginning’s of the 30-man block of Infernals that will house the BSB and the Sorcer-Prophet:

And the beginnings of the Bull Centaur unit, complete with Taur’uk, that you can see behind it:

Currently, one of my many delimas is the command and great weapons for the Bull Centaurs, since it needs to be big but also not shoddy (what with them being fane guardians and all). So I think I’m going the route that a lot of people have probably taken:

Big star = banner, Minotaur GW = GW, horn is… well a horn.

I’ve really only just gotten started and it’s still pretty daunting, especially after seeing all of the insane armies on the forums here; but, as you can see, I’ve still got a ways to go:

Bloodbeard:

There’s nothing shameful about a thirty man strong unit, nothing shameful about a bull centaur herd led by a taur’uk and there’s absolutely no shame in a castellan wielding the Inferno Battle Standard of Hellfire!

You should rename the blog. I’m looking forward to following your blog and seeing those banner designs in paint.

Admiral:

Exemplary use of Chaos bits for Chaos Dwarfs. It brings home the Daemonsmithing and ties to the wider Chaos hordes. As for the log name, does it refer to the Infernal Guard’s shamed status as the equivalent of Dwarf Slayers?

Yodrin:

This is a great start, I am gonna watch this blog!!!

BABIS:

nice models

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Sticklander:

I have to admit, even the FW infernal guard are growing on me, thanks to thia blog and others!

I shall have to watch this space!

Aaroon42:

Thanks for the kind words folks, I hope to do some justice to these little guys and stay on track with an army for once. I just got a 10-man unit of Infernal Guard with Fire Glaives pinned down to some wood blocks last night so I can start testing the color scheme I want to do. Basically, I’m shamelessly and whole-heartedly stealing Ravenwood’s color scheme. However, since I have hands made of stubby uncontrollable meat and not the slender, precise hands of an automaton (as I assume Ravenwood does), I’ll be trying to pull it off with normal metallics.

I’ve sprayed a few test panels:

I’m thinking a basecoat of Brass Scorpion with some Hashut Copper highlights is going to get me where I’m going. Hopefully, the airbrush magic is going to help me do most of the work.

As for the log name, does it refer to the Infernal Guard’s shamed status as the equivalent of Dwarf Slayers?

Admiral
I guess that’s really the root of it. What it boils down to is that I was pretty stoked about these little guys and thought they were pretty awesome looking, so I came here for some inspiration. Then I see all these amazing 5th Ed. armies with all these big, glorious hats all over the place and I just kind of looked back in shame at my little, tiny, no-hatted beardies. Long story, short: Hat Envy. :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S.- Ravenwood, if you’re reading this, just remember that theft, er, imitation is the greatest form of flattery. :smiley: But in all seriousness, I think everyone can agree that you have one of the most stunning armies on this forum. I’m just trying to adapt it so that we mere painting mortals might enjoy the same scheme.

Fuggit Khan:

...Long story, short: Hat Envy. :P

Aaroon42
Hat Envy! Hahaha! I love it!
Anyways, based on your incredibly creative BSB, I think your army will show no shame :cheers
Looking forward to seeing more here

Sticklander:

...Long story, short: Hat Envy. :P

Aaroon42
It's alright, i'm sure we're all just over-compensating for our lack of proper war machines!

Aaroon42:

Alright, so, broke out the airbrush when I got home to work on the Infernal Guard with the bang-bang-death-sticks. So, Step One, Prime Black:

Step Two, Zenith Highlighting with Grey (looks white) Primer:

Top = Very bright.

Bottom = Still very dark.

What this will accomplish is brighter metals on all the high, raised areas and darker metals in all the recessed areas. It’s also a nice medium to priming all white or all grey because this way if you miss a spot with paint you wont have this bring white/grey dot staring out at you; it will be black, sneaky shadow.

So, once that’s done, everyone gets some Brass Scorpion:

They’re still drying right now, but when they’re done I’m going to do another Zenith Highlight with Hashut Copper (NOTE!: I misspoke earlier in the thread and called that middle test panel Sycorax Bronze. That was not the case. It was in fact Hashut Copper. I set the wrong pot on top of the panel.)

Aaroon42:

Alright, Hashut highlight and a better light which equalized the colors WAAAAY better. The last picture made them look much more yellow than they were.

On to washing after this. Thinking something a little different for once. Maybe Sepia or Flesh… hmm…

Aaroon42:

Also, what do you guys think about this to spice up the Infernal Guard shields?

Too much? Just enough?

Nicodemus:

Looking great - “Just enough” from my stand point. You’re on the right track with the shield embellishments for sure. I started doing that with by IG conversions to Big Hat castellains (but using etched brass pieces). I liked it so much I want to do it for all of their shields, but the etching is too much work and have been toying around with plasticard like this. What thickness did you use for them, and did you have crazy glue them down? Also, what did you use for the rivets? Are they just coin-sized bits from a rod or did you trim them further?

~N

tjub:

Looks like a great start, and I like the shields a lot!

Soulassassin:

Shields look great! I also have to say I like your thorough research, I work in a design profession myself and know the importance of making color tests :slight_smile:

Aaroon42:

Looking great - "Just enough" from my stand point.  You're on the right track with the shield embellishments for sure. I started doing that with by IG conversions to Big Hat castellains (but using etched brass pieces). I liked it so much I want to do it for all of their shields, but the etching is too much work and have been toying around with plasticard like this.  What thickness did you use for them, and did you have crazy glue them down?  Also, what did you use for the rivets?  Are they just coin-sized bits from a rod or did you trim them further?

~N

Nicodemus
Made sure to text it to myself before I left for work this morning. :D

The plasticard banding is .015 and the rod to make the rivets is .035, though I think .030 could possibly look better (but I didn't by that, so screw it). I did crazy glue them down but it's not hard if you're careful. Just stab the piece you're going to put on with your exacto, get a nice thin layer of glue on the other side with a toothpick (or brass rod like I do) and then carefully apply it to the shield.

One big thing to keep in mind is to "pre-bend" the cut-out to the shape of the shield before you put it on. That way you only have to push it down onto the model once to get it to stick, instead of holding it down and waiting for the glue to hold.

BABIS:

super nice shields!

Yodrin:

Love the shields!!!

Admiral:

Excellent progress. You’ll have a Chaos Dwarf force to be proud of once this is over. Continue with the shield experiments, the two variants already made are ace!

Bloodbeard:

Small but very effective little conversion. Those shields are very good, and the lightning bolts are a great way to honour all the old big hats.

Thanks for bringing the word “hat-envy” into existence - it’s perfect. I myself have started to suffer a bit from hat-envy. some day I’ll make some.