[Archive] Added some Magma Cracks to my Infernal Guard

tvandyke:

I finished my two units of Infernal Guard but noticed when on the tabletop that they seemed somewhat dull with the dark red coloring.  It’s amazing the difference between what my artist lamp shows in terms of detail and what you can see from the naked eye, 2 feet away under normal room lighting.  Anyway, in order to give them some pop, I thought about adding some magma cracks to the armor.  Similar to whats in the Tamurkhan book.  Here’s my first try.

Karring:

I miss some front pic but magma cracks looks awesome.

May be they should be more gradient (some of them, specially at shield, looks a little abrupt). Try to thin the paint down and use several layers.

Anyway, that IG looks great, man. Keep up the good work.

Skink:

It. Looks. Amazing. Its brilliant seriously. Make a whole unit like this and show us please.

tvandyke:

I miss some front pic but magma cracks looks awesome.

May be they should be more gradient (some of them, specially at shield, looks a little abrupt). Try to thin the paint down and use several layers.

Anyway, that IG looks great, man. Keep up the good work.

Karring
Thanks.  The cracks look more subtle to the naked eye (at least mine).  My wife is a professional photographer and she uses a macro lense that pics up every detail.  She can even enlarge it to show every brush stroke.  It's actually pretty awesome except for the fact that I can see 150,000 mistakes that I normally wouldn't notice.  Sometimes I ask her if she has a crappy camera she can use.  :-)

CopperPot:

Theirs me thinking I havn’t seen this yet and here it is nice job dude.

fairoaks024:

Hi tvandyke!

This looks awesome. If you come up with a whole unit painted with this style it would be a real eye-opener.

Herby
what Herby said! awesome work,

regards

jim

Lava Lord:

That turned out very nice. And yes, more pictures as you go. I need to get into that. Thanks for the example…

Animatone:

Looks incredible! Really brings more to the eye. I like it a lot!

Feel free to post some pictures of the unit once you’re done! Can’t wait to see that.

Thorgar:

This looks great, I was planning on doing something similar with magma cracks. But with slightly different armor colors/placement.

Also, in the artwork you can see smoke billowing out of his upper back. It would be cool to stick on some steel wool or clump foliage rising up to look like the armor is literally smoking. Though I think I might attempt this I also may not, kind of ballsy and it could turn out bad.

Abecedar:

very nice work, way beyond my capability. and so agree about good camera’s. You think something looks good but doesn’t look any good on film.

tvandyke:

This looks great, I was planning on doing something similar with magma cracks. But with slightly different armor colors/placement.

Also, in the artwork you can see smoke billowing out of his upper back. It would be cool to stick on some steel wool or clump foliage rising up to look like the armor is literally smoking. Though I think I might attempt this I also may not, kind of ballsy and it could turn out bad.

Thorgar
Lol, yeah, I noticed that too. I'm basically trying to match the color scheme on page 169 except I used copper for the scale instead of the silver/steel color in the picture. The armor in the picture looks a bit more burgundy than mine, but oh well. I have 60 of these painted without the magma cracks. I simply didn't have time to get that part done prior to a tournament I was getting ready for a couple of weeks ago. So at least I don't have to paint them all from scratch. Having said that, painting magma cracks on 60 models is going to be mind numbing. My buddy pointed out the billowing smoke and fire coming out of the armor in places (especially noticeable on the champion on the previous page) and suggested I try modelling that as well. I said he's nuts. As awesome as that would be, there's no way I'm doing that for 60 models. Magma cracks are enough. It might be cool on a single model though, maybe a Castellen?