[Archive] Against Vampire Counts

ross_lionheart:

:slight_smile: I’m just looking for some advice when facing off against the evil and twisted Vampire Counts in 2k game…

I was thinking about using 2 units of 24 CD warriors with level 1 sorceer with 2 dispell scrolls with FCMD, 15 Blunderbusses and either Big Un’s or Black Orcs…Hobgoblin wolf riders and Bull Cents, both units will have a solid character within it… As for long ranged weapons…the usual 2 bolts, one death rocket and one earthshaker cannon…

I’d like to know…

1. Whats the best units to use against VC’s?

2. Whats tatics should be used? Offensive? Defensive?

3. Is it wise to use a sorcerer lord as the general of the army when he is going to be outclassed everyturn?

4. What should I be concerned about??

metro_gnome:

1. units with additional HWs mow down skellies like nobodys business… even hobbies out class them in combat…
    2. best to go offensive… otherwise they just sit at the other edge of the table getting bigger…
    3. i like the S. lord… 8 dice will see a spell off… and 6 dispel dice will tone him down a little…
    still a quick BC lord can get to those casters and turn it into a non issue…
    4. being outnumbered… bring lotsa troops…

qwe50:

the "normal way to winn against VC is to take out his “fast stuff” like bats, dire wolves, and ghouls - and if u can stop most of his magic thats a big help

A 4.level (2x scroll) and a unit big uns with mork’s spirit totem will give 7. dispel dices!

the black gem can be usefull against the vamp - so u can get his unit so small, u can take him on combat resault. 3x bull heroes so u can take his fast stuff (one can take gaundlet + sword of striking)

metro_gnome:

you may not take the spirit totem… EVER!

how many times must i say it…

black gem is useful tho… i use agaisnt greater daemons all the time…

itz standard equiptment for a sorceror lord…

Hashut’s Blessing:

Take a lot of small units of BBs (get as many shots as possible. S3 minimum will kill LOTS of them). The obligatory Earthshaker. They’re pretty slow anyway though. Definitely a few bolt throwers. Maybe a few HGs with shields and bows (a little extra shooting and they get a 5+ save in combat. Bye bye skellies). Flying Lord is best (preferably Lord not S-Lord. Take 3 sorcerers though!) to breathe fire and maybe charge his general. REMOVE THE GENERAL! And DEFINITELY go offensive! Take BCs because they have 2 attacks (if you play that they can use AHWs, use those too! Invaluable against skeletons. Get as many rear and flank charges as possible!).

qwe50:

I think u need to tell why u can’t take the spirit totem or any other banner for u black orc or big uns units ?

U bye a unit from another army list - they follow the rules they have in there book and can take whatever thay can in there book. Thats it.

(it’s much like DoW)

If u are thinking about the “US Grand Tournament and Games Day Tournament season” FAQ renember that it only count for some american tournements and are no way an official “new rule” for the Chaos dwarfs

Revlid:

I think u need to tell why u can't take the spirit totem or any other banner for u black orc or big uns units ?

U bye a unit from another army list - they follow the rules they have in there book and can take whatever thay can in there book. Thats it.
(it's much like DoW)

If u are thinking about the "US Grand Tournament and Games Day Tournament season" FAQ renember that it only count for some american tournements and are no way an official "new rule" for the Chaos dwarfs

qwe50
First off:
No "u". Use "you". It's two extra letters.
"bye" does not mean the same as "buy".
"there" does not mean the same as "their".
The rest of your post is of a decent standard (a typo or two notwithstanding), so it's just these little things that drag it down.

In any case: It has been established (by the Ogre Kingdoms FAQ) that units available to an army that can take magical banners take them from the list it specifies in their unit entry.
RAW, Black Orcs can take a Magical Banner worth up to 50 points from the Common Magic Items or Orcs and Goblins sections.
Fluff-wise, they shouldn't be able to, and they can't in this tournament.

metro_gnome:

gentlemen what could possibly be unclear about this:

You may choose magic items for your characters and your units from the following list and/or the common magic items in the rulebook.

Ravening Hordes page 33
Orcs are not Ogres so Ogre FAQs do not apply…
Orcs are not DoW so DoW FAQs do not apply…

Ravening Hordes applies…
and as the Big 'Un upgrade or Blorc unit entry do not state where the standard comes from…
you default to the availability of the army…
RH is black and white…

Revlid:

Ravening Hordes also states that you choose your Orcs, Black Orcs and Goblins from the Orcs and Goblins book (7th Ed).

So unless your argument is that you can’t take any of the options, be they command or weapons, O&G can take Magic Banners from the O&G list.

I agree with you on principle, I’m just reading as written.

Hashut’s Blessing:

What metro said was that because the entries don’t say “May use a banner from the O&G list” they can’t. The RH list says magic items for your characters AND UNITS (I.e. greenskins…) must take items from the RH list. So, Warbanner or Banner of Slavery it is.

Lord Zarkov:

Yes, the O&G book just says you can take a magic banner with no reference as from where.��Thus it may take any magic banner allowed by the army.��the army is CD’s and CD’s have access to 2 banners.

If it said may take a magic banner from pxx of this book then they could take one, as it doesn’t then it defaults to one of the army ones.

DOW & Ogres are hirelings, not part of the army (and thier FAQ only applies to them, not CD Orcs), O&G in the CD army are a standard part of the army and take CD banners.

That said, IMO it is not really characterful to take any banners on O&G units; but you can if you must.

metro_gnome:

Revlid: you are not reading as written… you are adding phrases that simply are not there…
“from the O&G list” does not appear in the unit entry…
nothing from these unit entries gives access to the shiney stuff… only and O&G army has acess to O&G magic items…

the Ogre FAQ only applies to Ogres… and even then one unit of Ogres (iron guts)… and even then only when acting as DoW…

i don’t know how uncharacterful it is to use this tho…
in the case of the banner of slavery it might even seem appropriate…
the CDs place the magic banner with the orcs because it has magic binding powers…
it makes the Orcs more steadfast (better leadership tests) because they are magically held in place against their will…
people always look at magic items as giving some benefit to the unit… when in fact they are giving benefit to the army instead…

regardless… it not a particularly good tactic anyway… considering the cost of the unit…
unless your army is crawling with green…

Monty:

Back to the original question on how to beat VC’s - I think this universal analysis taken from Charles Blacks (one of the best fantasy players in the world) notes is extremely usefull.

Undead Observations

Not rocket science but I now win far more than I lose against the Undead. I now think of the Undead as being a twofold army.

Magic Strong:

Here YOU MUST kill their lesser necromancers.

Here are my general tips vs Undead:

1. Assassinate all non-general characters first (unless he has a

weak general) these are easier to kill and give the Undead their

extra punch. Be it casting dice or extra combat punch. Use

character assassins and/or hit unit with multiple units to dissolve

quickly.

2. Know what to dispel and what toleave. Generally let him raise

units but NEVER let him use movement spells.

3. Try to take 1 or 2 fear causing units (or fear resistant banners)

and use them to minimise the effects of psychology tests by

using them where the critical combats will take place

4. If you are going to charge a unit, try to double charge it with units

that can win the combat during the first round both for unit strength and in case 1 fails

5. Always have 1 character with a cheap magic weapon (for

ethereals)

6. If he/she has a lot of magic try to approach with two parallel

combat lines so that if he does raise behind or in the flank you

can counter charge.

7. Kill the general if you can!

qwe50:

Hey man! give him some advice he can use, don’t just read up from some stupid useless GW tactic post

1. Wizard hunting are naturally a good idea, but Chaos dwarf are just not good at it, “Use

character assassins” ??? well normal characters are no good because he can just challenge and u loose because of CR, the best is a goblin chariot with 4 crew but we don’t have anything like that.

And a good VC player use the “zombie behind skellies” anyway so don’t think u can wizard hunt.

As before get a lot of disp dices - take out his “fast stuff” so u can isolate and multi charge his units (start with the ones with no vamp in) , use earthshaker / death rockets / bolts on his blocks especially the one with the vamp in, (so he have to use some of his magic to add to that unit), bolts on black knights (just take a few so BC’s can take them in CC)

I’ll say take

A 4.level (scrolls), a unit big uns with mork’s spirit totem and 3x Bull heroes.

metro_gnome:

and again you give illegal advice…

at least wizard hunting is within the rules…

ross_lionheart:

and again you give illegal advice...

at least wizard hunting is within the rules...

metro_gnome
:D hehe, most of qwe50 advice is legal..its just the magical standard thats not...I dont understand why people cant accept that we can only use 2 magical standards :(

Monty:

Hey man! give him some advice he can use, don't just read up from some stupid useless GW tactic post

qwe50
I take it you didn't actually read what I posted then?

Firstly this isn't taken from a "GW" tactic post... As I stated its from Charles Blacks notes.

And secondly VC's are, in my experience, a good match up for CD's. Earthshakers mean we can slow down the necro bunker so as to isolate them from the vampire/skelly screen then we have great fast cav to pop the bunker with rear/flank chargers. We also have access to Lore of Shadows meaning you can fly suicide Hobgobbo Heros into the lesser Necromancers.

Anyways my best advice is to play lots of games against VC's they are a very predictable army so once you can execute a plan against them you'll find its them and not you fighting the uphill battle.

Cheers,
Mont.

metro_gnome:

and again you give illegal advice…

at least wizard hunting is within the rules…