[Archive] Airbrush advice(1)

Mad Dave:

Hi Guys

Im finally taking the plunge into airbrushing but i need some advice on what to look for and where to get the stuff from in the UK. If anyone knows of any sites or can recommended stuff for a beginner id be grateful.

JMR:

This is what I bought:

AIRBRUSH KOMPRESSOR KOMPLETT-SET MIT PISTOLE & REINIGUNGSSET AS189 & BD130 & 777 | eBay

First of all, it’s a cheap chinese knock-off. If you want a proper brand, you’ll be paying much much more. Depending on your financial situation, that may not be worth it when starting out.

The airbrush itself is dual-action and gravity fed, which is what you’d want to get for wargaming miniatures. It also comes with 3 needle sizes, 0,2 / 0,3 / 0,5. I have to say I only use the 0,2 and 0,5, but it does make a big difference to be able to choose between sizes.

The compressor comes with an air tank. Theoretically, this will allow your compressor to switch off every now and then, but in practice the tank is so small that it’s still nearly always running. If I recall correctly, it should also help decrease the chance of getting moisture in your air. The air tank is the only thing I might’ve done without, in hindsight. Ofcourse I have no experience useing a compressor without a tank, so I don’t know how that’d work :slight_smile:

The yellow spray pot also acts as a holder for your airbrush when you’re not using it. I’m glad I bought a kit with this included. It may seem like a rather meaningless accessory, but I feel it makes working with the airbrush much nicer.

After a long long search, this is what I went for. I basically wanted to spend as little as possible, while still getting the right type of kit. You don’t want to get one of those small nail-studio compressors for example, they can only keep running for so long before they need to shut down to cool off. It doesn’t work when you want to spray a dragon :slight_smile:

If you do want to go for something better, make sure you go for a real brand. There’s also brands that offer exactly the same product as my no-brand one, but for an increased price, which of course doesn’t help you. Be prepared to pay 4 or 5 times the price for a similar kit from a big brand, though.

If you have any questions, I’ll try to help.

Doombeard:

you can get one of those same airbrushes which is what I got for about £12 on ebay and a good compressor for about £40. its silent and has auto shut off. I was in the same situation as you a month or so ago. I thought buy the cheap chinese airbrush first, which works fine , then if I decide to graduate up to a nicer one splash out a bit more. in the end I decided to do just that and bought a Harder and steenbeck 2 in 1  Ultra (comes with two needles) for about 80quid…
heres the stuff I bought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BG9MTQC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DM37MI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002X6BNYQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004GUC7HY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380468306964?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Brush-Dual-Action-Gravity-Feed-Airbrush-Spray-Gun-0-3mm-7cc-Nail-Art-Paint-/190917527212?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item2c739246ac

Buying the all in one kit JMR suggests is a great idea as it comes with it all together, but if you sourced cheaper seperates you could save some money to put toward a decent airbrush if you decide to step up. Although to be honest with postage I’m not sure you’d be saving that much at all it probably comes in the same kinda of price. You def need a dual action grav feed one though and a choice of 2 needles is best.

JMR:

I think that when I searched for a setup, I found cheaper sets in the UK, but I didn’t get those because of the different power socket.

That particular link I posted fluctuates in price a bit. Not sure why. I bought mine a little cheaper, but I’ve also seen it higher.

By the way, note how the compressor Doombeard linked is nearly the same as the one I posted. Bloodbeard’s seems to have a brandname on the side HSENG? One’s model name is AS189 and the other AS18-2. I found that I came across those model names a lot, even when they had different brands. My point being: be mindful that you can find the exact same product, probably from the exact same factory, but with a brand sticker on it.

One of the brands I found was one called BlackBull, which presented itself as being better than “chinese products”, at a mildly higher price. I considered getting one for the little extra quality, until I did some research and found out that they come from the exact same factory as the cheaper compressors. Exactly the same, just added some black paint.

Doombeard:

I think that when I searched for a setup, I found cheaper sets in the UK, but I didn't get those because of the different power socket.

That particular link I posted fluctuates in price a bit. Not sure why. I bought mine a little cheaper, but I've also seen it higher.

By the way, note how the compressor Doombeard linked is nearly the same as the one I posted. Bloodbeard's seems to have a brandname on the side HSENG? One's model name is AS189 and the other AS18-2. I found that I came across those model names a lot, even when they had different brands. My point being: be mindful that you can find the exact same product, probably from the exact same factory, but with a brand sticker on it.

One of the brands I found was one called BlackBull, which presented itself as being better than "chinese products", at a mildly higher price. I considered getting one for the little extra quality, until I did some research and found out that they come from the exact same factory as the cheaper compressors. Exactly the same, just added some black paint.

JMR
I got the as-18-2. It has pressure control, autoshut off/on, is pretty quiet, has a moisture trap and is very small. All in all pretty happy with it for now, its good for a beginner.

Mad Dave:

my girl friend been looking at this one as she wants to buy me it for Xmas or something simlar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXPO-AB602-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-PACKAGE-DEAL-FEATURE-PACKED-/31078347

to me it looks like one of the those nail things but im no expert.

Mad Dave:

also what sort of ventilation and face protection do you guys use?

JMR:

I use none, but that may be incredibly stupid.

I have looked into getting a mask however. Oddly enough I couldn’t find much talk about it from wargamers. What I did find is that our paints are relatively harmless when you compare it to using enamel paints for example. I think the amount of paint we use also works in our favour compared to what other people might use an airbrush for.

Having said that, you -are- throwing particles in the air and you -are- going to breathe them in without protection. I honestly do not know how harmful it really is. I don’t always use a dust-mask when sawing or sanding things either. That may be incredibly stupid as well…

Figuring out what grade of protection you actually need is troublesome as well. I think you need something with active carbon filtration if you want it to actually matter. Those masks aren’t always cheap and you have to replace the carbon filters every X amount of hours.

Honestly, I’m not going to advice you to do one way or the other, because I just don’t know how much a mask is needed. I can only say from personal experience that I have sometimes had a mild irritation in my nose after a lot of airbrush use. It’s led me to start wondering about protection…

Mad Dave:

JML thank you for your honesty :), ive been doing abit of digging ive found a AS189 dual switch as shown below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161218925355

Im just currently looking for a hose and a airbrush not sure on connector size. Also ive found a all in 1 spray booth which im keeping my eye on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-SPRAY-BOOTH-AND-EXTRACTOR-UNIT-COMPLETE-KIT-AIRBRUSHING-HS-E420DCK-/151442431060?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item2342ac1c54

Mivrash Faz:

I meant to reply to this earlier. I personally wouldn�?Tt go with a cheap airbrush. If you plan to do a lot of airbrushing then invest in at least a middle range double-action one, and a good compressor with a moisture trap. The trouble with cheap/inexpensive airbrushes (and believe me I speak from personal experience) is you get what you pay for. The cheap ones are not as durable, do not break apart as easy for cleaning, difficult to find replacements parts for, and not as easily repaired as quality AB�?Ts. I currently use an Iwata Revolution. I have had it for about 6or 7 years and it has never failed me. It consistently sprays well, takes a few minutes to clean, and I can readily pick up parts on line or at my LHS. Also, make sure that you have proper ventilation, especially if using solvent based paints, and always wear a mask. The best ventilation is a spray booth, they are quite inexpensive these days, and very portable. Depending on what you will be spraying you can get away with using a small one, and don�?Tt forget to vent it outside. Unlike a friend of mine who left the vent hose on the floor of his model room and ended up with a lovely camouflaged carpet and everything in his room covered in a fine layer of dust. His missus was not impressed. Check out the Hannants site, you can pick up a spray booth for about 70£ or so, and there are a tonne of AB�?Ts to choose from. BTW, a good starter brush is the Aztek. It is dead easy to clean, the various quick change nozzles make it simple to paint a variety of different sized lines, and it is perfect for any vehicle you plan on painting, but it may not be suitable if you plan on doing small minis. Hope this helps.