[Archive] Alternative hobgoblins models?

Ancre:

Hi !

Searching different models of possible hobgoblins because I don’t like the old GW hobgoblins and I don’t want to convert them from bfsp goblins, I found those :

They are the goblin command on this page : http://www.scotiagrendel.com/grendel_metal.html and the orc command, and goblins and orcs miniatures might be wary of attention. But sadly they do not have any pictures of the goblins spearmen, the orcs spearmen, and of the goblin archers. They are also not that good looking, but they are the closest match I found for what I search.

Still, I hope it will be of interest to someone !

On a side-related note, have anyone bought those goblins and can have pictures of them ? Do they match well with GW’s minis ? And have anyone spotted good mongol-looking greenskins on the net ? I really like the left one on the picture, but alas he’s almost the only one I like. And buying 20 goblin commands to have one unit, well … :sick

Skink:

Nice find Ancre, I always imagined Hobbos like mongol marauders! These really fit whit my concept :cheers

Zanko:

IMO you can use also these Grenadier ones:

Half Orks:

or the “normal” Hobgoblins:

and perhaps as a special Orks unit the Nihon Orks:

The link is: http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm

:hashut

Firehammer:

This may be a bit daring, but I will use these as alternatives for Hogoblins.

West Wind Production makes the following dwarf units with hobgoblin caps, black beards and big noses:

Here an alternative with spears from the same company:

Mounted version, counting as wolf riders (or Chaos Marauders):

For my warrior of chaos list counting as Chaos Dwarfs, some more daring suggestions:

Chariot:

War mammoth (counting as Chaos Giant):

And if you ever need heavy cavalry beside bull centaurs:

Also have a look at old OOP Chronopia miniatures.

I will use this counting as Chaos Spawn

Some evil looking dwarfs (some with tusks) are here:

http://www.princeaugust.ie/target_games/index_dwarven.html

Pyro Stick:

Those are some seriously awesome dwarfs. If i ever collect a dwarf army ill definately be using a lot of those over the gw models. How much is the war mammoth?

Firehammer:

£44.99, resin. Smaller than the Forge World one of course.
Here the link: http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_4

Just added the wolf rider.
I intended these as evil dwarfs. For good dwarves, I would use the West Wind scotish/Shaven ones plus the Scot Dwarves from Gamezone.

Zanko:

I would use the West Wind scotish/Shaven ones plus the Scot Dwarves from Gamezone.

Firehammer
IMO the Gamezone Dwarfs are too big to make an army together with GW Dwarfs.
Do you know how big are the West Wind Dwarfs?

wallacer:

I’ve always liked those Drowgrim figures. Never quite bit the bullet and bought them though.

Kera foehunter:

Wow there a lot of cool figures!! I like the dwarf horse archers

Ancre:

Firehammer, I don’t see how you would convert them to hobgoblins - will we see your converted minis on the forum ? I’ll be very interested in seeing them !

snowblizz:

I would use the West Wind scotish/Shaven ones plus the Scot Dwarves from Gamezone.

Firehammer

Zanko
West Wind are VERY LARGE. They are on 25mm bases in the pictures and fill them up. They won't fit in with GW dwarfs, and I don't think they fit on 20mm bases either.
My friend the Dwarf Player has some IIRC and they have problems mixing with the rest of the collection.

Khunag:

Firehammer, I don't see how you would convert them to hobgoblins - will we see your converted minis on the forum ? I'll be very interested in seeing them !

Ancre
I think he meant just using them with hobgoblin rules.

Firehammer:

1.) Yes, they are provided with 25mm bases, but I just checked that they fit on diagonal 20mm bases as well. Remember that it is not easy to fit CD Warriors with shields on those bases as well. The eye height of WW dwarfs is above CD eye level, but total height lower, body size about equal. Riders are no problem at all.

2.) Actually, I am a Chaos Dwarf fan and not a Greenskin fan. So alongside my Assyrian style dwarfs, I will take Scythian style dwarfs instead of Scythian style Greenskins. Esp. as the faces and mail fit quite well. Only thing I might consider is greenstuffing a bigger nose on some models, but I have not decided on that yet.

BTW they are currently packed as 4 mini command and 10 mini troop (the latter just one pose though, like CD warriors ;))

Speaking of daring choices for my current CD counting as WoC project, here some other unusual choices:

Chosen:

Chaos Hounds (boars only):

Chaos War Altar

Chaos Ogres will be Warmachine Cryx Warjacks, Trolls will be Fire Elementals. But I will make a project log when I start with this project.

Zanko:

Firehammer

Zanko
West Wind are VERY LARGE. They are on 25mm bases in the pictures and fill them up. They won't fit in with GW dwarfs, and I don't think they fit on 20mm bases either.
My friend the Dwarf Player has some IIRC and they have problems mixing with the rest of the collection.

snowblizz
Thx for the info! :hat off

That helps me a lot!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Those are some Kool mini’s. I especially like the mamoth.

I wonder why this thread was moved?

Firehammer:

Here a quick scan to show the different sizes (2x GW, 2x West Wind, 1x Rackham) plus 20mm bases. As you can see, diagonal 20mm bases are no problem. Whether you like the height of the other dwarfs, depends on your personal taste.

snowblizz:

Here a quick scan to show the different sizes (2x GW, 2x West Wind, 1x Rackham) plus 20mm bases. As you can see, diagonal 20mm bases are no problem. Whether you like the height of the other dwarfs, depends on your personal taste.

Firehammer
Excellent Firehammer! I was hoping for someone to have them.

Admittedly I was making a educated guess, as I couldn't quite remember how it all looked. The guy has waaaay too many Dwarfs.

Ancre:

Khunag : oh ok. I thought he used the dwarfs and made them into hobgoblins.

I wonder why this thread was moved?

Tarrakk Blackhand
I don’t really know but the way it turned it now fits better here, I think !

Should I change the title on “alternative hobgoblins and dwarfs models” ? Or should I just not matter ?

Kera foehunter:

love the little guy with the hammer