[Archive] An alliance to watch the Old World burn

Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed:

Good job. That magma cannon is getting really awesome. Looking forward to seeing it painted - or just base coated. A base coat does a lot for a converison like this - much easier to enjoy it as a model.

Any plan for crew? It's gonna be tough to make guys to match the crazyness of the machine.

Bloodbeard
Thx Bloodbeard! My mantic dwarfs arrives yesterday so i've finally got some models to make into CD troops. They are going for a dirty steampunk pirate look so i'll be posting them as they pop out :)
Oh anf thx for the feedback it has really helped me with this project :cheers

So with the arrival of my mantic dwarfs i have worked out a rough armylist to build and convert to compliment my main WoC forces. It’s my first attempt at LoA list and i havn’t even had a battle with them yet… it’ll be hard rethinking tactics after over 20 years worth of Warriors… well here’s the list:

+++ Flames of Hashut (7966pts) +++

+++ 8000pt Legion of Azgorh (Chaos Dwarfs) Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Legion of Azgorh (Chaos Dwarfs) (Standard) Selections:

+ Lords +

* Fleet Commander Kurgan Blackheart - Sorcerer-Prophet

with main warrior block

(Contempt, Daemonsmith, Infernal Engineer, Relentless, Resolute, Sorcerer’s Curse)

*None - Darkforged Weapon (Darkforged Weapon), Armour of Destiny, Blood of Hashut (one use), Ironcurse Icon, Lore of Hashut, Pistol, Stone Mantle, Wizard Level 4

* Admiral Hazigoth - Sorcerer-Prophet

death sniper

(Contempt, Daemonsmith, Infernal Engineer, Relentless, Resolute, Sorcerer’s Curse)

None - Darkforged Weapon (Darkforged Weapon), Bale Taurus (Blazing Body, Breath Weapon, Flaming Attacks, Fly, Fuelled by Fire, Large Target, Terror, Thunderstomp), Blood of Hashut (one use), Dawnstone, Lore of Death, Pistol, Potion of Foolhardiness, The Mask of the Furnace, Wizard Level 4

+ Heroes +

* Durgan Stormcaller - Bull Centaur Taur’ruk

with BC

(
, Contempt, Fear, Scaly Skin (5+), Stomp, Swiftstride)

Additional Hand Weapon, Blackshard Armour, Dragonshelm, Potion of Speed, Talisman of Endurance

* Captain Visha - Daemonsmith Sorcerer

with quake mortars

None - Ensorcelled Hand Weapon (Ensorcelled Hand Weapon), Chalice of Blood & Darkness, Lore of Death, Pistol, Wizard Level 2

* Captain Hazgor - Daemonsmith Sorcerer

with deathshriekers

None - Ensorcelled Hand Weapon (Ensorcelled Hand Weapon), Channelling Staff, Lore of Metal, Pistol, Wizard Level 2

* Captain Vanda - Daemonsmith Sorcerer

with magma cannons

None - Ensorcelled Hand Weapon (Ensorcelled Hand Weapon), Dispel Scroll, Lore of Death, Pistol, Wizard Level 2

* Bigtooth Khan - Hobgoblin Khan

Giant Wolf (Fast Cavalry), Light Armour, Shield (no longer Fast Cavalry), Spear (only if mounted), The Terrifying Mask of EEE!

* Screatch Khan - Hobgoblin Khan

Giant Wolf (Fast Cavalry), Light Armour, Shield (no longer Fast Cavalry), Shrieking Blade

* Hakka Khan - Hobgoblin Khan

Giant Wolf (Fast Cavalry), Light Armour, Shield (no longer Fast Cavalry), Spear (only if mounted)

* Ogola Khan - Hobgoblin Khan

Giant Wolf (Fast Cavalry), Light Armour, Shield (no longer Fast Cavalry), Spear (only if mounted)

* Cinder the Hard - Infernal Castellan

with main warrior block

(Contempt, Relentless, Resolute, Stubborn)

Battle Standard Bearer, Helm of Discord, Pistol, Shield, Talisman of Preservation

* Kazzar Rocksplitter - Infernal Castellan

with main warrior block

Armour of Bazherak the Cruel, Fireglaive (
), Talisman of Protection

* Flamatruck the Wicked - Infernal Castellan

with fireglaives

Black Hammer of Hashut, Enchanted Shield, Opal Amulet

+ Core +

* Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard

narrow frontage 5 wide, main warrior block

(Contempt, Relentless, Resolute)

50x Infernal, Musician

* Deathmask

Pistol

* Standard Bearer

War Banner

Deathmask, Musician, Standard Bearer

* 25x Infernal

25x Great Weapons

horde formation

Deathmask, Musician, Standard Bearer

* 39x Infernal

39x Fireglaives (Fireglaive)

* Hobgoblin Cutthroats

(Backstabbers, Hobgoblin Animosity)

Murder Boss, Musician, Standard Bearer

* 50x Cutthroats

50x Bows, 50x Shields

+ Special +

* Bull Centaur Renders

(Contempt, Fear, Scaly Skin (5+), Stomp, Swiftstride)

Bull Centaur Ba’hal, Musician

* 7x Bull Centaur Renders

7x Great Weapons, 7x Shields

* Standard Bearer

Gleaming Pennant

* Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher

* Iron Daemon War Engine

(Carriage Hauler, Demolition, Impact Hits (D6+2), Ironhide, Large Target, Lumbering & Unstoppable, Skullcracker, Steam Cannonade, Terror, Unbreakable, Unique Unit)

Hellbound

* Iron Daemon War Engine

(Carriage Hauler, Demolition, Impact Hits (D6+2), Ironhide, Large Target, Lumbering & Unstoppable, Skullcracker, Steam Cannonade, Terror, Unbreakable, Unique Unit)

Hellbound

* Magma Cannon

* Magma Cannon

+ Rare +

* Dreadquake Mortar

(Contempt, Firing the Dreadquake, Quake!, Relentless, Resolute, Slow to Reload)

Additional Crew - Slave Ogre

* Dreadquake Mortar

(Contempt, Firing the Dreadquake, Quake!, Relentless, Resolute, Slow to Reload)

Additional Crew - Slave Ogre

* Hellcannon

(Caged Fury, Daemonic Construction, Doomfire, Large Target, Monster & Handlers, Terror, Thunderstomp, Unbreakable)

* Hellcannon

(Caged Fury, Daemonic Construction, Doomfire, Large Target, Monster & Handlers, Terror, Thunderstomp, Unbreakable)

* Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders

(Cowardly Despoilers, Fast Cavalry, Hobgoblin Animosity)

Musician, Wolf Boss

* 5x Raiders

5x Spears

* Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders

(Cowardly Despoilers, Fast Cavalry, Hobgoblin Animosity)

Musician, Wolf Boss

* 5x Raiders

5x Spears

* K’daai Destroyer

(
, Blazing Body, Bound Fire Daemon, Flaming Attacks, Frenzy (D3), Large Target, Terror, Thunderstomp, Unbreakable, Unstable)

* K’daai Destroyer

(
, Blazing Body, Bound Fire Daemon, Flaming Attacks, Frenzy (D3), Large Target, Terror, Thunderstomp, Unbreakable, Unstable)

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

30 infernal guard WIP. 20 more will be added. I am faced with the daunting task of rebearding to dwarfs… CD are known for their big hats, tusks and dread beards. I’m thinking of moving away from this purely from lazyness. Good news is the Mantic Dwarfs i’m using look really well armoured and a few heads have short dread beards…  Other updates include undercoating of magma cannon, 3 deathshriekers and 3 Khans.

Bloodbeard:

The mantic dwarfs work quite well I think. You don’t really have to go big hat - my firwst two units don’t have them.

But other beards would be nice. And they are real easy to make and it doesn’t take that much time. There are some great tutorials in that section of the forum.

Can’t really give any feedback on the list - 8000 points. Don’t really think any small adjustments are gonna make a difference at that size. Do you have 8000 points worth of bits now?

The mantic dwarfs work quite well I think. You don't really have to go big hat - my firwst two units don't have them.

But other beards would be nice. And they are real easy to make and it doesn't take that much time. There are some great tutorials in that section of the forum.

Can't really give any feedback on the list - 8000 points. Don't really think any small adjustments are gonna make a difference at that size. Do you have 8000 points worth of bits now?

Bloodbeard
With the super cheap mantic dwarfs i ended up with all the footslogging dwarfs. I have bits to make everything else, i've had a chaos army since the early 90's so i have heaps of bits. My BC will be from dragon ogre/oges/juggernaughts, my destroyers will be made from daemon princes/giants/dragons/dreadnaughts/soul grinders. i already made the hellcannons for my WoC. In fact i found this forum looking at how to make beards :) i converted the crew from old goblin models i had and the massive beard covers everything up. Only things i really need now are the big hobgoblin unit. You are right about the beards though. I won't do them for all the rank and file but all my command units/characters will get the good treatment :)

I’ve been busy building and undercoating the crews for my warmachines. I also got a chance to build my Bale Taurus from an old metal juggernaught and the old metal bloodthirster wings :wink:

I also started work on my destroyer. It’s an old metal bloodthirster upper torso, the legs are from the GW staff massive troll that was fighting the troll slayer rest are just bitz :wink:

Bloodbeard:

Cool work. Would like some close ups to see the details - especially on that taurus. Absolutely great idea for a conversion!

I think that the destroyer is supposed look the other way on the base. Where are the ginormous claws from?

Cool work. Would like some close ups to see the details - especially on that taurus. Absolutely great idea for a conversion!

I think that the destroyer is supposed look the other way on the base. Where are the ginormous claws from?

Bloodbeard
Claws are from the chaos defiler if i remember corectly. Once i get into painting them i'll post plenty of closeups to hoghlight my dodgy conversions hehe

Yodrin:

Very nice, I really like the taurus conversion. The taurus look evil and bad ass…

Sticklander:

Very interesting conversions. Really like to see them painted.

Fuggit Khan:

Your Bale Taurus conversion is awesome…what a great idea to make it from a juggernaut, the head being slightly turned to the side adds a cool ‘dynamic’ look to it, like it’s actually charging into battle as opposed to just standing around. Well done :cheers

And I’m curious…is it just me, or does it look like both models are sitting in a pan covered in motor oil? Is it some sort of gloss spray base coat? I’m asking because I’m always interested in how people ‘prep’ their models…

Your Bale Taurus conversion is awesome...what a great idea to make it from a juggernaut, the head being slightly turned to the side adds a cool 'dynamic' look to it, like it's actually charging into battle as opposed to just standing around. Well done :cheers

And I'm curious...is it just me, or does it look like both models are sitting in a pan covered in motor oil? Is it some sort of gloss spray base coat? I'm asking because I'm always interested in how people 'prep' their models...

Fuggit Khan
I'm testing a new spraypaint my wife found for me. It has silicone in it and dries with a matt finish. It just looks shiny because i took the photo right after spraying it :cheers

Admiral:

Not a fan of Mantic Playmobil Dwarfs, but your Bale Taurus conversion is as smart as it is simple. Good work.

Abecedar:

That magma cannon is coming along brilliantly. But as someone said. Take the time to go over the finer details like mold lines and gaps. Once its painted those little things could ruin its looks

Khorne has lashed out at me for dabbling with the worshipers of Hashut…

just undercoated 40 fireglaive Infernal Guard (the mantic dwarfs look like they has lasguns but i’ll be honest i kind of like them). I also undercoated a unit of 60 slaves made from Mordor goblins, night goblins, a few metal halflings, a couple of savage orcs and some old school 40k Orks: Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka and Ork Runtherd Zodgrod Wortsnagga all revamped for fantasy battle.

Not a fan of Mantic Playmobil Dwarfs, but your Bale Taurus conversion is as smart as it is simple. Good work.

Admiral
Agreed on the Forgeworld vs Mantic models. The deciding factor was the price :yar They have really started to grow on me but they still arn't really right. With hindesight i should have at least gotten the Abyssal dwarfs from mantic but with the boxed set i got over 200 models! The Abyssal dwarf box would get me about 90 models but if i spent the same ammount on the FW models well i think i would have 1 warmachine ;)
Total respect for all you badasses that convert/buy the real models, one day i'll get onto them, maybe when i win the lotto :hat off

I had my first battle with Chaos Dwarfs recently. I fought Ogres at 2500pts.

I learnt a lot. I’ve been playing ‘Chaos’ since the early 90’s so my tactics had to be thrown out the door.

Rough lists:

My list

Prophet with magic carpet, 2+ 4++ (rolled 2+ to wound sword), lore of Hashut

Castellan with 2+ 4++ 2++ against flameing, 6++unit warmachines, reroll 1 armour save

lv1 Daemonsmith with chalice running lore of death for sig spell

Wolf riding Khan

28 IG, full command, with flame banner (prophet and castellan here)

20 hobgoblins with bows

10 IG with fireglaives

x2 magma cannons

x2 death shriekers

Hellcanon

Destroyer

His army (real rough)

Gutstar (16 ogres in horde formation and all characters)

BSB 2+ 6++ against warmachines for unit

Slaughtermaster general with CoC, 6+ 4++, 2++ against flames, death magic

Another mage with maw magic

x2 ironblasters

x1 big monster that does 3d3 impact hits (forgot name sorry)

x3 Mournfang

x2 Ambush guys (forgot their name)

What worked, what didn’t and what would I change:

-Miscast turn 1 with my prophet is not the end of the game. Even when he looses 3 wizard levels and 3 spells including Ash Storm… Casting the hammer for no reason other than I have the dice is silly… I wasn’t even in range /fail. A lot of my tactics relied on the ashstorm/flaming combo… silly magic

-Magma cannons are the bomb. Even without ashstorm they are great.

-Destroyer can take on 2 monsters at a time. He is a beast. Don’t get caught in a frenzy bait. The Khan redirects to stop bad units from reaching him.

-Khan is very useful. I redirected his gutstar to get another round of shooting in. I’m going to field 2 next time.

-Deathshriekers are great for taking out monsters (when they hit). 1 would have been worthless, 2 or none imo.

-Chalice is more useful than a dispel scroll imo. I could still shut down the magic phase. We had wild winds of magic, double 1’s, 1 and 2, 6 and 6… it was upside down but the chalice was key to stopping purple sun (he missed out on casting it 3 magic phases by 1 or 2)

-Hellcanon is extremly solid to anchour a flank. They fire until the enemy close in. He held the mournfang up when they charged in round 3. They didn’t take him out by the end. That unit would have swept into the flank of my large IG formation so it was key.

-If IG kill something with hand weapons it is a bonus. I went for handweapon shields cause I would still get a 6+ 6++ against the double handed weapon ogres (all the ogres were at least strength 6…) Go for ranks/standard static combat res. If I went with double handed weapons I would have needed another 15 IG minimum to absorb the damage. Maybe in future a small unit to flank but then fireglaives would be more versitile and almost as offensive. With bsb we sit on 5CR already. 6 if I include the war banner… The general with the unit was carving up with his 2+ to wound but against high armour it would have been much worse. The Castellan was totally built for defence. Thinking about giving him a double handed weapon but his normal save goes down…

-Ambush is a small issue, fireing flame templates across my line is not the safest way to take them out but it was all I had. Maybe a 2nd Khan can stay in the back line while the 1st Khan and Destroyer roll around together in the enemy back line. Daemonsmith with death was good for sig spell but didn’tt do enough wounds! He didn’t deploy near my hellcanon though. Maybe an irondaemon and hellcanon on each flank will sort this out.

-IG with fireglaives and goblins with bows were in there to clear chaff. With no real chaff in his army I believe these points were wasted. The IG fireglaives held a charge from mournfang (before they hit the hellcanon) held them up for a turn. With a few more in the unit they may have actually beat them cause we hit and wound on 3+. I think the gobbos will be moved into a larger unit with just shields to tarpit any unit I don’t want to fight.

Let me know what you think.

I’ll post more as it comes to me.

Ok it’s been a while since my last update. I’ve been busy with work and gaming but i have had a chance to complete building my CD LOA army! Everything is undercoated and i have started on the Bale Taurus rider. Here are some WIP shots of the latest stuff i made:

K’daai Fireborn freshly made and undercoated:

Earthshaker and Ogre loader:

Left side of army:

Right side of army:

I decided to use my WOC Dragon Ogres and Shaggoth as Bull Centaurs and Hero, i’m lazy to build them but i also like how they feel close to my WOC. I’m also using my WOC Hellcannons in this army. The Pics show all my LOA list except the D.Ogres, Giant and Hellcannons who are living in my WOC camp until called upon for battle. Also the S.Lord on Bale Taurus is being painted so here he is with his first base coats:

Bloodbeard:

So that’s oe way to assemble a gazilion troops on no time! Cool conversions on all the warmachines. The dead quake is really cool. Superglue lid shells - most remember that one. Looks good.

I like the steampunk/industrial look of the entire force. The machines fit well with the dwarf shooters.

Now for paint! The bane of any beuatiful army.

Fuggit Khan:

The Earthshaker conversion/kit-bash is pure genius, I love it!

I recently started something very similar, but your conversion is way better than mine.

What are all the parts from?

Nicely done sir :hat off