[Archive] An idea for GW, thoughts?

Swissdictator:

I was thinking that if they added a Chaos Dwarf unit to Chaos Mortals, that maybe it could have a rule that would allow the Chaos Dwarfs to take them?

For example, if they added “Immortals” as a special choice it’d have the rule “Chaos Dwarf” allowing them to be taken in the same slot or something similar. Kinda how the Ogres have the DoW rule, but in this case it might not be a rare slot.

That’d allow them to “update” Chaos Dwarfs with minimal risk, as the unit itself could be used by a much more established army. It’d allow us to get a new unit and a slight update, as well as new figures (depending on the figure/sprues it might allow for new CD players if they provided a good selection of bits). Plus even if it was just warriors or blunderbuss it’d still be new figures.

What do you think?

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’m not entirely sure what you’re suggesting. Are you saying that Immortals should be a unit as core for HoC? Or are you saying they will be a part of our army and mercenaries? Or part of our army and merc.s for HoC only?

Ghrask Dragh:

Some of us were hoping that Chaos Dwarfs might make an appearance in the new mortals list, given the hellcannon crew did before, not only could they judge Chaos Dwarf popularity buy how many people included them in their list and bought the box sets etc but it would have been a nice nod back in the direction of how the Chaos Dwarfs started life as part of the chaos armies way back when.

But it was not to be, not a bad idea though in my opinion.

wizuriel:

considering how much GW is breaking chaos apart it wouldn’t make sense to add chaos dwarfs to the mortals

Willmark:

Might happen, might not.

Some are simply hoping for chaos dwarfs to be there simply because it appears to be that space is “open” in the list.

I for one will be very suprised if anything other then the Hellcannon makes it in to HoC.

Filipicusius:

I dunno… I don’t want us to be just a part of hordes of chaos. We had our own army book, and we should have one again!

Still, it would be an improvement.

Swissdictator:

I was more suggesting that they have a special/rare unit for Chaos Mortals. This unit would also be legal in a slot (perhaps the same, perhaps core, whatever) for Chaos Dwarfs army lists. In other words both Mortals and CD could take them. That way the CD list gets updated, with little financial risk (compared to a full update) as people playing Mortals may very well invest in them.

Also it’d update the Chaos Dwarfs, and they can see the reaction to it. If the results are good they might be more inclined to update our army.

Plus if they’re plastic with bits, it’ll allow us to have more figures… and have actual Chaos Dwarfs. If they did the bits right, they might even work as regular Chaos Dwarf warriors.

cornixt:

We sort of discussed that in this thread https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/7696

Here is a more up to date version of what I wrote:

The false rumour was that a Chaos Dwarf unit would be available as a special choice in the Mortal army. It would have an upgrade for ranged attacks.

So, how to deal with turning your CD army into a Chaos army with a single unit like that? Obviously, the CD warriors and blunderbusses are taken care of by the normal unit. Bull Centaurs suddenly become rock-hard as Chaos Knights. Hobgoblins have to be rebased as Marauders, or dumped in favour of Marauders or Chaos Warriors (doesn’t look like there will be any new core units). A Taurus makes a decent dragon. There might be a Hellcannon available, but you’re stuck with DoW for any other normal war machines. For weird stuff, you could use the chariot rules for crazy Chaos Dwarf machines (or Tenderisers and Whirlwinds) plus the giant could be your Kollosus.

So the main consequences? No war machines (at least not as a normal BT, DR or ES), and the very cheap HG units will be gone. Other greenskins are completely out. Big upsides in a fully legitimate army list that doesn’t have some opponents questioning officiality, and new models. It would still be a relatively rare army, although as a theme for Chaos rather than on its own. The success of the models could spur a proper full Chaos Dwarf army. Lots of options for slaves like Ogres and giants.

I’ve got mixed feelings, obviously I’d prefer a proper CD list, but this single unit opens up so much in the way of being a proper army, possibly in advance of a full Chaos Dwarf army.