[Archive] Anatomy: Phallic Sculpting Tutorial

Admiral:

Made upon request on a Swedish Warhammer forum, following sighting of Kuthuvud. Relevant to bull creatures of every kind:

Enjoysrandom:

Man not sure how many people starting off in green stuff are all, I think for my first project I’ll sculpt some penises… but who knows… I would have thought muscle definition would be a more useful topic to… ah… get a grip on…

tjub:

@Admiral: Haha, so its not just me then… :smiley:

Admiral:

Man not sure how many people starting off in green stuff are all, I think for my first project I'll sculpt some penises... but who knows... I would have thought muscle definition would be a more useful topic to.. ah... get a grip on...

Enjoysrandom
I can assure you that there are plenty of people who will start off with such a bit as something for their first anatomy sculpting. At least in Sweden. On one tournament we attended years and years ago, we happened upon a little workshop room where some Swedish Warhammer players had left behind a trio of blu tack genitalia. "Look! They've been sculpting something!" a now deceased friend of ours called out. I think he got amazed at the sculpting in and of itself before he realized what they had been sculpting.

It makes sense, actually. Baby steps. It's a simple shape to work with as opposed to a hand or face. It's a small part of the body to start off with, so it's simpler to handle than a whole arm. Some imperfection can more easily be passable. And it's an anatomic detail that is usually lacking on cast miniatures. (No, it took long time before I sculpted a phallus for the first time, and that was all connected with Chaos Dwarf bull worship earthy stuff, for academic reasons primarily - you've seen it on CDO; it doesn't look authentically ancient without blood, gore and dirty details).

If people request tutorials, I'll make something if it's something I myself as an amateur can handle. Muscle definition is in fact one of my weak areas that I need to practice at, so no help there for the moment I'm afraid. But things like faces, fists and cloaks could be managed. That said, there are already some excellent tutorials out there, not least on Scibor Miniatures. The above tutorial filled an empty niche, though. Didn't find anything on a Google search!

@tjub: You're not alone in this world! Or in this country, rather. ;P

tjub:

Just thought Id share these as they at least are “on topic”… :hat off

Enjoysrandom:

looks like its just you tjub…

AtomTaylor:

Sometimes creatures just don’t look complete without a flailing manservant. Although I kept it as unobtrusive as possible.

THT WIP by Andrew Taylor, on Flickr

My Troll Painted4 by Andrew Taylor, on Flickr

Timothy Archer:

i do have some " Strange " Warriors in my army too …

tjub:

@AtomTaylor: Agree! :cheers

@Timothy Archer: Haha, thats one serious Prince Albert! :o

Carcearion:

@AtomTaylor Wow! I love those trolls!! Phallus or No, their just so… AD&D, I feel like they popped right out of an old Dragon Magazine :smiley:

Have you had them cast or are they just one offs you did for yourself?