[Archive] Another GH9 entry

snowblizz:

So this would be the pics of my poor not classic look Bull Centaur.
I’ve always felt the originals were too small so was trawling for something a bit larger.
Finally found it via friend who ended up giving me a bit more parts than he had counted on.

I’m not entirely happy with the chain mail but as a (almost) first attempt it’ll have to do. It suffers mainly from me having to rush it as a key part, the gutplate was left at my parents and that held up the greenstuffing.

I was going for a dark, reddish-brown for the bull part but couldn’t quite get it. It actually looks redder in the picture than IRL.

And yes, this is just a RNF BC. There’ll be 5 like him. Well maybe I need to fix command. How on earth I will manage that…

Kera foehunter:

hey sweety what did you use for the flesh on the dwarf part

Khan!:

Nice, I liked this one a lot, he was in my top 5 for sure. Did you sculpt the bull body yourself, or convert it from something?

snowblizz:

@Kera, Charadon Granite and then increasingly more Tallarn flesh mixed in. Some Ogryn Flesh wash or two in between some layers and perhaps a smidgeon of tallarn on its own or even lightened a bit more.

@Khan!, thanks!, the bull body is a bull from Zvesda Ork Cavalry. Orks that ride somekind of “woolly” bull. It is not convert as such, quite a lot of gapfilling and added fur (that mostly can’t be seen in the pics, though. I was going to do more new fur but well time and all that.

clam:

It’s an awesome conversion and a very nice paintjob :hat off - and definitely one of my GH9 favorites - too.

Looking forward to see 5 of these ranked up on 25mm cav bases :smiley:

wallacer:

Not a bad idea for a Dragon Ogre conversion either.

snowblizz:

Not a bad idea for a Dragon Ogre conversion either.

wallacer
You know, that was actually the back-up plan. In case 1. BCs are booted from a CD armybook, 2. BCs suck after a new armybook, 3. the conversion became way too large to work on 25mm bases.
Of course I failed to reckon on the possibility that Beasts of Chaos might not get DOs in their armybook (the army I was going to sue them in). *sigh*

Originally I was trying to come up with a dwarf body to put on the bulls but I found it would be way too puny, but then I realised Ogre bodies would fit much better.
I was inspired in part I suspect by the excellent Ogre+CO-> DO conversions on the Herdstone. I have a bunch of, something along 8 I think, chopped up Ogres right now, some are earmarked for DOs. The DO conversions were harder though and I sort of got "fed up" with the whole thing with the "DO are only found in mountains and Beasts live in the forest, they would never meet, see" drivel some designer or other spouted.

two_heads_talking:

I really liked t his one. it was painted very well. It was in my top 4. I liked the conversion work too, but I only based my votes on the painting and that was very well done…

Kawazu:

Great mini snow’! :wink:

I like a lot the greyish skintone.

What about adding some greenish wash to the bronze metal?

snowblizz:

Great mini snow'! ;)
I like a lot the greyish skintone.
What about adding some greenish wash to the bronze metal?

Kawazu
Wow, top4, top5? I must really be my own hardest critic as there were loads of stuff I'd have liked to do better!

Green wash... something like this then:

Am I the first one to modify an entry AFTER the contest?
Edit: And I can't for the life of me explain why the legs look grey suddenly! They don't in real life. Much redder.
Or they do not and I am indeed as colour blind as some would claim.

Kawazu:

Green wash...

snowblizz
I know I wrote "wash" (suo anteeksi!), though I was thinking more to a very very diluted colour (like diluting Dark Angels Green), used as a wash :D
This is a ubercool tutorial on "juicing" found on CMoN. Although is a bit complex, I guess it's possible to simplify the steps :)

snowblizz:

Green wash...

snowblizz
I know I wrote "wash" (suo anteeksi!), though I was thinking more to a very very diluted colour (like diluting Dark Angels Green), used as a wash :D
This is a ubercool tutorial on "juicing" found on CMoN. Although is a bit complex, I guess it's possible to simplify the steps :)

Kawazu
Isn't that what the new Citadel washes are supposed to do for lazy people?

Kawazu:

LOL

I guess it’s slightly different, less shiny :wink: