[Archive] Another Hobgoblin Army Book

zobo1942:

Neat!!

However, I’m not sold on the sandwyrm riders, either, because they seem a lot like the Tomb king snake rider guys… and also, I kind of think that if you asked a hobgoblin to ride something like a sandwyrm, the opinion would be… "Ummm… Sure. Tell you what - you climb up on the sandwym and get it ready, and… well, I’ll go and check in with the Khan and meet you over there (gestures vaguely).

Perhaps something like a ‘Lore of the Steppe’ (or magical device of some kind) would be in order, where a Hobgoblin shaman could bung a device somewhere, and then then a countdown begins, a la ‘Comet of Cassandra’. When the ‘comet’ appears (read: death- /sandwyrm swarm), scatter dice are rolled, and a mess of poisonous (or electrical discharging) beasties appear.

Really nice set-up with your pdf by the way!

Thommy H:

Yeah, they’re based on the Necropolis Knights. The idea is that they’re Shamanic apprentices anyway, but I didn’t have room to get too deep into the fluff. Essentially, I wanted some Monstrous Cavalry that weren’t just guys on bigger wolves. Plus you could model them using Tyranid Raveners. And that’s cool.

RTMaitreya:

It’s nice that we’re creating so much excitement and value already! I have amassed a great pile of notes, and good work on the alchemist. Everyone let’s smash heads together early next week with whatever we are able to put together over the weekend through Monday.

I think with 5-6 authors we can generate a lot of very good ideas and points of view for different gaming styles and model collections to make sure we address the big needs. I’d like for everyone to help collude and smash this thing into some generally acceptable shape sooner rather than later. We can always fiddle and bicker later, but getting on the right path early will really help pull the community together for something to playtest over coming months.

RTM

Thommy H:

Well you can use any of my ideas that you want but I’m afraid I don’t have the time or inclination for any sort of collaborative project. I just started work on my list for my own satisfaction. I’ll post up the army list once I’ve written it and, as I say, take what you want from it as long as I get credit.

EDIT: I’ve posted an updated version with some small formatting changes, typos and errors cleaned up and two new units for those who don’t like the Sandwyrms - we now have a chariot and some elite Wolf Riders.

RTMaitreya:

No problem Thommy,

Let me know when you post your updated version. I don’t see it anywhere right now. Just crawled through site and not obvious.

RTM

Well you can use any of my ideas that you want but I’m afraid I don’t have the time or inclination for any sort of collaborative project. I just started work on my list for my own satisfaction. I’ll post up the army list once I’ve written it and, as I say, take what you want from it as long as I get credit.

EDIT: I’ve posted an updated version with some small formatting changes, typos and errors cleaned up and two new units for those who don’t like the Sandwyrms - we now have a chariot and some elite Wolf Riders.

Thommy H

Thommy H:

It’s in the same post - I changed the attachment, so just download it again. I have made a few more changes as I’ve worked on part 2 though, so I’ll post up a “final” version with the Army List.

Thommy H:

All right, let’s do this thing.

Nicodemus:

So far so good Thommy… I’ve started on mine too, provided you don’t mind me borrowing some bits and pieces :wink: I was going to set mine up to be in line with the 8th ED format as well. I must say though… you’re quick! Did you have a template already setup for the army list part ahead of time??

lostmember:

A question. How can Backstabbers be 3 points each, when they have additional hand weapons, poisoned attacks and LD6, when Hobgoblins are 3 points, with LD 5, no special equipment etc?

Also the shaman entry says “A hobgoblin great shaman is a level 1…” …just a typo, but might be worth correcting.

Thommy H:

Yeah, Backstabbers are a copy and paste error - they should be 6 points each. I’ll correct mistakes tonight.

Did you have a template already setup for the army list part ahead of time??
I used parts from my Chaos Dwarf book, yeah.

lostmember:

Another one…is it intentional that there is no light armour option for Hobgoblin Warriors?

Nicodemus:

What about a Lore of the Den? Too obvious or limiting? That actually came out of a typo in a text document :wink:

Thommy H:

I’ve corrected the typos and errors and fixed a few other little things, and I’ve also moved it to its own thread so it doesn’t clog up the work going on here.

PDFs and discussion thereof.

Nicodemus:

I’ve been putting a bit of time into building up my ideas over the past few nights. I’m trying to keep the fluff and details to a minimum (there needs to be some though) so that I can create a very short army book, along the lines of the Gnoblar Horde list from WD.  That was 7-pages long, so my plan is to try to stick as close to that as possible and it means chopping back everything to only the essentials.

I have loads of notes typed up, some characters and lots of profiles created. Without putting it all here (and before I finish the first draft), Here’s what I have for idas so far:

Overall the army is subject to some special rules:

Dissension - like Animosity, but slightly worse than the O&G version. Rolling a 1 has as slightly higher chance of causing wounds to your units, and the number of hits depends on how many ranks the unit has!

Greedy Slaverz - negates Dissension when they are within 12" of the enemy, which balances out the fact that Dissension is worse than Animosity. If a unit within 12" of the enemy has a musician the musician sounds the call to battle and any units within 6" of the musician that’s sounding the call also ignores testing for Dissension.

Hobgoblin ‘society’ is comprised of a few major factions which helps define how their army is comprised and where things come from:

Clans of the Steppes - largely nomadic and widely dispersed clans, not organized but they are by far the most numerous

Source of: Warriors, alchemists, shamen, sneaky gits, assassins, madd bomberz

Wolf Tribes - are responsible for breeding and training of these important animals for hunting and as war mounts

Source of: Wolf mounts, wolf packs and Hobgoblin Packmasters

Slavers - roam the lands as slave hunters and traders, important part of their economy and work force

Source of: Slave drivers, slave rabble and slave caravans

Liberators - former slaves (mostly of Chaos Dwarfs) who have organzied themselves and now control vast wealth and contonue to fight and free Hobgoblin slaves (when it suits them)

Source of: Elite warriors (who are not subject to Dissension)

So far I’m going rather heavy on the characters as a way to build in fluff and add several unique aspects to the army.

Lords

Ghazak Khan (has an optional upgrade to replace his wolf mount with a Rhinox, but he loses Fast cav)

Gorduz Backstabber

Trogdor, The Fiend of the Crag (combination Dark Alchemst and Shaman, he’s the only way to get the Lore of Metal into the army and can mix potions on the fly with his Volatile Mix special rule. If he’s taken as the General he allows Madd Bomberz to be taken as Core instead of Speicl and Assassins to be taken as Special instead of Rare… all of which would make for a pretty crazy, if unpredictable army)

Gurdoz, Liberator of the Daemonforge (former Chaos Dwarf slave, now in control of a forge which had been kept secret from the Chaos Dwarfs. He liberated his Hobgoblin brethren but kept the remaining slave contingent to maintain the forge. It’s ample armoury keeps him and his men well armed! He has a Daemonic Hammer and an anit-magic/anti-wizard shield that makes him the bane of Sorcers! He also has a special ability called Subjugate the Dissident that negates Dissension while in range. Also allows his elite Hobgoblins to count as Core)

Throg (Inspired by the old Citadel collection of Hobgoblin Throg and his minions, Throg is still known for his taste for Dwarf flesh and his Feast of the Dwarf King special rule can trigger a Fear check in nearby Dwarfs when he consumes Dwarf flesh, or Terror if he consumes the flesh of a fallen Dwarf Lord… although those same Dwarfs are also subject to Hatred afterward as well!)

Dradoz High Shaman (Just the elite shaman of the Hobgoblin army. He’s Lv 2, can be upgraded to Lv 3, knows all the spells of his chosen Lore and rides a Wolf, thus making him the only fast cav caster in the army!!)

The rest of the army is comprised of:

Heroes

Hobgoblin Hero

Dark Alchemists (basically have unlimited potions which grant limited spell-like effects, the type of which are determiend at the start of the game)

Shamen (spell casters)

Core

Warriors (+wolf riders, + options for lots of add-ons, similar to the O&G Nasty Skulkers or Skaven Weapon Teams)

Slave Rabble

Hobgoblin Packmaster and Wolves

Special

Gurdoz’s Liberated Hobgoblin Elite (not their final name… think elite Warriors, like Stormvermin or Black Orcs, etc.)

Bolt Throwers

Oglah Khan’s Wolfboyz

Madd Bomberz

Sneaky Gits

Rare

Assassins (have the Ambush rule)

Slave Caravan

Rocket Team

Giant

War Trolls

Ogre Traders (part of the slave trade aliance)

Mad Mordecaz Chaos Dwarf Slave Dealer (part of the slave trade aliance, Chaos Dwarf character on a warmachine/slave cart and his unit of Chaos Dwarf guards and their slaves, but can’t take him and his unit in an army that includes Gurdoz or his elite guard)

Magic Items

Axe Headroom 70 points

Magic Weapon

Stolen from Zharr Naggrund in the wake of the cataclysmic destruction of one of the Daemonsmith forges that levelled a great section of the surface level of the evil Dwarf city, this daemonic axe is apparently the last axe ever forged by the mad Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith, Bozrikk the Possessed.  Axe headroom bestows the Killing Blow special rules to all close combat attacks made by the wielder.  Furthermore, armour saves may not be taken against close combat attacks made by the wielder of this weapon.

Armour of the Wind Fortress 75 points

Magic Armour

Stolen from Cathay generations ago, the details of this unique armour besides its name have been lost to time.  With a great rush of wind this armour allows the wearer to instantaneously shift his body from one place to another nearby.  Once each turn, at any time during the turn, including before or after moving, the wearer of the Armour of the Wind Fortress may be placed anywhere within 6�?� of his initial position.  The model may be placed facing any direction at its new location, but must be at least 1�?� away from any friendly or enemy models.  This ability can be used to immediately leave a unit, but it may not be used to join a unit, and once locked in close combat the Armour of the Wind Fortress cannot be used to escape.  Because of its unique properties, however, the Armour of the Wind Fortress also makes the wearer harder to hit in close combat and close combat attacks are made at -1 to hit.

Wyrdstone Crown 20 points

Magic Talisman

Said to have been plucked from the bones of a dead Ogre while scavenging the scene of a great battle, many long jagged shards of black stone that radiate an otherwordly green glow were spirited away by an opportunistic dark alchemist.  Unable to make use of the shards in his alchemical concoctions the alchemist fashioned the shards into a crown in the hopes it would add to his aura of mysteriousness.  Indeed, it did just that.  The Wyrdstone Crown grants the wearer a 5+ Ward Save, if the result is a 1 the bearer suffers a permanent -1 penalty to his Leadership with no saves allowed.

Lucky�?Ts Paw 35 points

Magic Talisman

Lucky was a wolf of gentle disposition and an uncanny ability to avoid harm even under the most dire of circumstances. Such was his reputation that he quickly became a treasured companion of the greatest Khans, being taken as by victorious Khan leaders as lesser Khans fell, until finally, Lucky met his last master, who realized that none of the other Khans had been any better off and that Lucky was the only one to ever avoid harm.  He was quickly dispatched and the Khan leader had a new trinket to bring him luck �?" one which was much more portable, didn�?Tt require food and did indeed bring luck to the bearer.  Lucky�?Ts Paw grants the wearer a 5+ Ward save.

Banner of the Steppe 65 points

Magic Standard

A unit with this magic standard gains the Vanguard special rule and can re-roll its charge distance dice.

Book of Forbidden Teachings 100 points

Arcane Item

Liberated from one of the many Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer statues that line the road leading to Zharr Naggrund, this ancient book details in the inner workings of Chaos magic and the teachings of the Fire Dwarf�?Ts dark god, Hashut.  The bearer gains access to either the Lore of Hashut or the Lore of Fire (you must choose before deployment) and is treated as a Level 1 Wizard for the purposes of spell casting.

That’s it so far… I’ll likely need to take more stuff out to make it fit into a smaller document, but at this stage there’s probably enough good stuff to work from that taking some things out will make it better.

C&C are much appreciated!! Just keep in mind this is all still in draft form and rather rough :idea

~N

Nicodemus:

Sorry for the back-to-back post.

Here’s a preview of page-1 of my condensed Hobgoblin army list (the special rules).  Any C&C on them would be appreciated!  For example, is the extra reform rule for Cowardly too good?

Dissension is slightly worse than Animosity in that there is a chance for causing casualties on a roll of 1 or 2, and the number of hits is likely to be higher than Animosity, but this is balanced out a bit by Greedy Slaverz as well as two Lords that have the Subjugate the Dissident which negates the need to roll within 12" of the character.  It also gets around the need to reference the O&G Animosity table as I’d much rather have one neat and clean self-contained list!

~N