[Archive] Anvil Industry Fallen Dwarves

Firehammer:

Hi,
couldn’t find a recent thread on this, even with (owner?) Kara-Nak being a member of the forum.

Current range armed with axes or crossbows can be seen here: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Miniatures-of-the-North/Fallen-Dwarves

Not sure how old these are (shown here in a post of 2014, blog mentioned a metal release last year and a first resin release now in the store):

Two more spearmen in the works for a release soon (“I anticipate Anvil will do them in a sprue of 4- 2 front rank and 2 second rank. Despite this second rank mini being one pose I’ve found that simple variations in the angle of how the shield is held brings out enough variety.”):

Also two-handed weapons:

… and Elite Dragon Guard with a halberd (shown with wrong shield, new one in the works):
… and Fire Dragons (“I’m in the process of remastering these from a 2 man team to a single mini with the fire tank on his back.”)

… and Grenadiers:
Once these are in production I feel like I’ve pretty much fleshed out the rank and file and will make the more exotic stuff.
BTW here the pic posted 2014 on this forum:

Timothy Archer:

the design is great, love the scale armor and the shields , but no mustache its pure heresy :wink:

Helblindi:

They look like chaos dwarf elfs? Seem too tall or too slender…

Admiral:

It’s Lotr Dwarves’ proportions, and sadly also 25mm Lotr scale. GW made a poor decision when they made their splendid Lotr range 25mm instead of 28mm. Still, they’re nice minis though I’m not sure how they’d look in a Warhammer army, even as a beardling/youth’s platoon.

tjub:

Really cool looking models, shame about scale though…

Dînadan:

It's Lotr Dwarves' proportions, and sadly also 25mm Lotr scale. GW made a poor decision when they made their splendid Lotr range 25mm instead of 28mm. Still, they're nice minis though I'm not sure how they'd look in a Warhammer army, even as a beardling/youth's platoon.

Admiral
On the plus side, at least it means there's a nice option if you want to do an evil dwarf army for LotR (iirc the appendices state that during the war of the Last Alliance against Sauron every race except elves fought for Sauron. In fact I think the exact wording was that every race except elves fought on both sides implying there were good aligned orcs and goblins!)

Bloodbeard:

We’ve seen these guys around a couple of years ago. A member got some samples of these when they first came out, painted them up very nicely.

I really like the look on those models.

Admiral:

On the plus side, at least it means there's a nice option if you want to do an evil dwarf army for LotR (iirc the appendices state that during the war of the Last Alliance against Sauron every race except elves fought for Sauron.  In fact I think the exact wording was that every race except elves fought on both sides implying there were good aligned orcs and goblins!)

Dînadan
That is correct, and anyway 4/7 great dwarf tribes migrated east beyond the Lotr map, to the large Orocarni mountains. Not only would you have an evil dwarf army from the more exotic parts, but you would also have an allied contingent to the westerly dwarves. In the war between goblins and dwarves, every dwarf tribe from afar sent forces to clear out the Misty Mountains, brutal style, finishing with the battle outside Moria's gate.

I like that grey area occupied by stunties in Lotr. Will pick up some, partly to support Kara-Nak, partly because DWARF!

Dînadan:

On the plus side, at least it means there's a nice option if you want to do an evil dwarf army for LotR (iirc the appendices state that during the war of the Last Alliance against Sauron every race except elves fought for Sauron.  In fact I think the exact wording was that every race except elves fought on both sides implying there were good aligned orcs and goblins!)

Dînadan
That is correct, and anyway 4/7 great dwarf tribes migrated east beyond the Lotr map, to the large Orocarni mountains. Not only would you have an evil dwarf army from the more exotic parts, but you would also have an allied contingent to the westerly dwarves. In the war between goblins and dwarves, every dwarf tribe from afar sent forces to clear out the Misty Mountains, brutal style, finishing with the battle outside Moria's gate.

I like that grey area occupied by stunties in Lotr. Will pick up some, partly to support Kara-Nak, partly because DWARF!

Admiral
Damnit - now I want to do an evil dwarf army for LotR; I don't need another project on the go, got too much to do already! x.x

Fuggit Khan:

I really like the look on those models.

Bloodbeard
Me too...they are really cool. Shame about the smaller scale, but I'm tempted to buy some anyways. Beautiful models and reasonably priced, plus the crossbow guys are really slick :cheers

Admiral:

Pick 'em up anyway, you two. The Dwarf imperative is too strong. Obey your inner beard!

Would they work as a militant CD version of Komsomol/Hitlerjugend/Gadma/Youth Corps/Boy Scouts in WHFB scale? Sort of a beardling stomping ground, before they’re fully grown and proper fat?

Otherwise just make a start on a Lotr collection. Any hobbyist with good taste should have one! :hat off

Dînadan:

Sounds like a reasonable idea - a unit of Beardlings out on their first slaving raid.

Admiral:

Received an order and painted a couple of Fallen Dwarves to try things out. Gotta paint every now and then in between sculpting rounds!

For Lotr, these are intended to be Orocarni Naugrim, a.k.a. Red Mountains Dwarves, from a large mountain range far off to the east off the standard map of 3rd Age Middle Earth, where 4/7 Dwarf fathers awoke and started their tribes. One would expect contact between these easterly Dwarves and the human Easterling peoples to be frequent, particularly since some snippet in Silmarillion made it clear that western human groups had their languages and culture influenced mostly by Elves, while eastern groups got the same from Dwarves (and incidentally also displaced nomadic Elf wanderers).

Painted in bronze and red to match Weta Workshop’s Easterlings:

They’re nice miniatures, but their detail level is slightly insufficient in the basic miniatures. That was easily fixed by sculpting a piece of belt gear (pouch, bag), adding bowstring and arrow to the crossbow, and adding random shield rim details to the shield. Rivets would perhaps have looked better, but sculpted rivets fall off. Either they’re cast on the model, or you go for something with larger adhesive area.

These models are warmly recommended and will make neat allies and enemies alike to both western Dwarves, Easterlings, men of Dale, Khand and roving Orcs. A small warband to add to some larger force should prove a manageable little addition to the Lotr collection, and a lesser purchase. Looking forward to future releases of Fallen Dwarves!

gIL^:

If i get into the rumored new lord of the rings game, ill buy some of these

Jackswift:

These came out very well. Nicely done!

A couple of comments re rivet options where they would not otherwise stick. For small application where you are just looking to break up a surface visually I some time just do reverse rivets by drilling small concave indents evenly across the surfacr. Alternately Tichy Train Group sells stemmed rivets in various sizes. Looks like a mushroom with the rivet head at the top. You drill the hole at the size of the stem clean through then insert the stem. Gives the rivet a much more solid base. Typically better in larger applications, I’ve used these for tank conversions.

Cheers, JR

Admiral:

Thanks, and very good tips! At least for larger rivets it’s also possible to drill a shallow hole and glue a glass bead or a tiny plastic bead from a gutted water filter into the socket.