[Archive] Anyone looking forward to the new Conan movie?

zobo1942:

Ran across this a while ago - looks like a fun watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLtyuLGsj8Y

Of course, the original is awesome - but the visuals in this one look really good - there’s even some kind of ‘Land Ship’ (1:31) that looks good.

Thoughts?

Da Crusha:

it looks pretty good, but it will never really be Conan to me. the Conan I know is a roided-out, goliath of a man.

G.2:

The trailer does look good. I think I may need to go and watch it, as I am a Conan fan, but like Da Crusha said, there is really only one TRUE conan. - I am a teenager of the 80s, what can I say.

zobo1942:

My first exposure to Conan was the books, so I was never really a big fan of the portrayal of him in the 80s movie… even though that movie kicked ass for what it was.

I’ll go watch it, certainly.

wallacer:

Isn’t the new Conan the guy from Stargate: Atlantis?

snowblizz:

Isn't the new Conan the guy from Stargate: Atlantis?

wallacer
No, no. Conan is that spindly guy who used to run NBC's late night shows...

Waaait a minnit....

You are not talking about Conan O'Brian at all are you?

So disillusioned now...

Bolg:

Will see it, but like Da Crusha and G.2.

they are also remaking Total Recall?? why oh why are the also toughing that???

richard barby:

cant wait even if its rubbish i want to see it

G.2:

...they are also remaking Total Recall?? why oh why are the also toughing that???

Bolg
I smell a conspiracy, to "eliminate" Arnold......it is like they are trying to write him out of the history books.

inkpwn:

I can understand another conan, its a decent series of books that can be inturpreted many ways. But total recal? That movie kicked ass, still looks bad ass now and does not NOT need a remake.

Nazhur:

I totaly agree with you inkpwn. Arnold for president :slight_smile:

aka_mythos:

Isn't the new Conan the guy from Stargate: Atlantis?

wallacer
Yes it is. He got the part largely because he has extensive sword training and could already perform a lot of the "tricks" and stunt work they were going to make what ever actor got the part perform in filming.

Baggronor:

Remake Total Recall? Reeeeally? :~ Never work. I bet they’ll go all overblown special effects and totally eliminate the tongue-in-cheek aspects of it.

Conan could be good, but am automatically wary of it, could so easily be total arse.

inkpwn:

Can you imagine how sh!t they would make the total recall mutants if they got the budget. CG freaks with bits n bobs and cr@p. Kids, respect your movies. Say no to unnecisary remakes.

aka_mythos:

I tend to think Conan’s going to be better than the Total Recall remake. Conan’s being directed by the german guy who directed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake… and if the trailer is any hint he’s not toning down the violance. This effort is largely being pushed by the current owners of the books… who want to make this a continuing movie franchise based on the books, but who knows. I think Jason Momoa can do Conan justice.

cornixt:

The new Conan looks nothing like the old movie, is it anything like the books?

I smell a conspiracy, to “eliminate” Arnold…it is like they are trying to write him out of the history books.

G.2
And it isn’t even the classy way of going back in time to kill his mother,
…they are also remaking Total Recall?? why oh why are the also toughing that???

Bolg
Makes me wish i had three hands.

GRNDL:

Its funny how many “Children of the 80s” consider the real Conan to be Arnold, when that version was so different from Howard’s novels. As a Conan fan, I feel that the books, movies, comics and paintings of Conan have pushed a different aspect of the character and looking at this new movie trailer, I think each of those “aspects” is present. Its closer to the book’s origin story, it has a feel of the Frazetta paintings, yet still acknowledges the basic storyline of the original movie. As with all remakes/reboots, you never get the same feel, and to some extent they’re not supposed to: they’re aimed at a different audience - a different time. They won’t get the coolness of Thulsa Doom as played by James Earl Jones - that childlike innocence on his face as he kills Conan’s mother, or explains the Riddle of Steel and his solutions to Conan.

As for Total Recall. Well, let’s face it, its for money. Hollywood doesn’t want to waste money on new properties or new ideas, they just want to take what’s in their vault and make more more money from it. The same could be said for Conan too, but people have been crying for a new Conan movie for decades, only they wanted Arnie in it and it was going to be called Conan the King.

Grimstonefire:

Funny this thread should come up today as I watched the old film last night!

Would be nice if they made a sequel and had arnie in it remembering back to events.

Let’s face it, they would have really struggled to find anyone nearly as big as arnie. Back in the day he was huge, far, far bigger than any other wrestler-turned-actor around.

aka_mythos:

Bulkwise no actor is going to beat Arnold, but Jason Momoa is taller, so that’s something.

Shakhorth:

Bulkwise no actor is going to beat Arnold, but Jason Momoa is taller, so that's something.

aka_mythos
Yes very true, bulkwise Arnold beats them all. But Jason moves are so fluid and graceful. Loved seeing him in action on stargate atlantis.