[Archive] April's White Dwarf

Hashut’s Blessing:

i suppose the only real use is if your computer is nowhere near your painting area.

torn
Which, looking at that opainting area thread, seems not to be the case :D In fact, for me, I have to move the keyboard to get a painting area!

I used to buy WD, and stopped about 5 months ago. I don't know why I bought it for as long as I did. I'll have a flick through instore, but if it's not worth £2, I'm not paying £4 for it (Gw always charging double the maximum I'd pay!).

Willmark:

For me the issue isn’t so much the price, its the fact that for the price its nothin more then a catalog. Sure the production value is slick, its full color and glossy, but… I’d rather have black and white crappy production if it meant it was jam packed with quality articles.

Pfreck:

I got my copy in the mail today. I got two year WD for free so I have no choice! :stuck_out_tongue:

The only useful thing in March’s WD is this:

*got this from WarSeer

Cheers!

FatOlaf:

Although WD has gone down hill in recent years, I still buy it.  Even when I don't want to, I just see it on the shelf and buy it.  I think it's funny that the 25th anniversary of warhammer 'special edition' is 'special' because it actually has the articles that should be in it every month.  

Hammerhand
That's me to a tee, I dont know why I still buy it, every issue of late has been garbage..
If you only play WFB , some issues are virtually useless, with little or no WFB to read about. I remember in the good old days (before LOTR) there used to be a BR in every issue for both systems, they were so well written I would even read the 40K one as well. You would get good painting guides, tactics, all sorts.
Now it is just one big catalogue, really depresses me how bad it has become.
The last good era was when Paul 'Fat Bloke' Sawyer was Ed and he had his tales of four gamers etc... The mag was excellent under him and has never recovered from his departure.

As for this April, lets see shall we, if these new rules simply turn out to be Apocalypse WFB stylee (IE: buy more minis, boys and girls), then I shall shred the issue! :mad

GRNDL:

I agree with the majority in this thread - unfortunately, WD is either an advertisement for a month’s releases, or articles about this month’s releases. Once in awhile there is an inspiring idea for conversion or good article on painting, but usually little else. Even the battle reports are more in line with the ad campaigns. Unless you are interested in the flavour of the month models, there is little reason to pick it up.

Ironically, in Canada, we recently (1.5 years ago?) had our own version of WD printed, as opposed to the US one. Before this happened though, we had the US edition and a supplement of Canadian material - I got more out of that tiny 10 page supplement than I did out of the actually WD. Its actually where I got interested in Chaos Dwarves, as they reprinted the RH army list along with some conversion ideas to make your own CDs (Issue 29, Feb 2006). However, when we shifted over to a “fully Canadian WD” issue, all the new content was slowly bled away until we were left with pretty much the same issue as the US version. At least that’s how it feels.

The same thing could be said for the Black Gobbo. I looked forward to that e-zine because of its focus on odd conversions and paint colour schemes, etc. These days, more often than not, its got a number of things to do with the flavour of the month models and sometimes, they even have the gall to reprint or link to pages of the GW website/catalogue rather than bash out an article.

re: This April’s…

Actually, I am looking forward to what they will do for the anniversary. I’m hoping there will be a mini version of the original “Let’s Smash Skulls” warhammer box art. For me, the anniversary will be poignant for me as well, since I got my parents to buy me the original Warhammer as a young teen. I still have the limited edition “Thorgimm Branedimm” dwarf figure that you got from buying it mail order. :slight_smile: A long history…

I really don’t think they will bring new blood or enthusiasm to the hobby by continually pushing whatever’s going. That being said, its been going like this since 1987, with WD90, and its sort of wavered back and forth from there.

caos dwrf:

dude i dont know how many of you live in canada but the canadian issues rock i like the 1st with the dwarf fast calvery conversins and the fanatic loncha. me personaly if i gotz the money and i dont gotz the issue ill buy it

AGPO:

Its a shame the Canadian material isn’t available on line. I’d love to see some of those CD conversions and articles. Is there anything else in the Warseer daemon thread?

GRNDL:

@AGPO

I will try to scan the CD article if you like. Its not a bad starter article for CD. Personally, I don’t like the conversions they feature, but someone might.

furrie:

I have a laptop, so don’t having a comp near my painting/converting area isn’t a big of a deal :stuck_out_tongue:

AGPO:

@GRNDL

That’d be great but don’t break any rules. GW can get quite snotty about stuff

Khaosbeardling:

I haven’t had a subscription to WD for a long while now, but if I had the money I’d subscribe again, simply because I like reading anything and everything about Warhammer, otherwise it is indeed a glorified catalogue.

GRNDL:

@GRNDL
That'd be great but don't break any rules. GW can get quite snotty about stuff

AGPO
Yeah, maybe you're right. It looks like GW started to put the supplements online though. I'm not sure if they are still doing it, but issues 1-8 (out of 32) are online. Perhaps they will eventually get to the Dwarf/Chaos Dwarf one. If you want to check it out:

http://ca.games-workshop.com/WhiteDwarf/WDsupplements.htm

AGPO:

THanks GRNDL, that looks awesome