[Archive] 'Ard Boyz 2011

cornixt:

It’s a case of having external validation for the quality of your choices. I chose Chaos Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs won a tournament, therefore my choice was good. It works for most things, even if you had zero affect on the actual outcome.

Baggronor:

tournaments are meaningless
Not if you enjoy them :)
tournaments you aren't in are even more meaningless
I agree with that one.
I chose Chaos Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs won a tournament, therefore my choice was good.
Was it? Surely that depends how you did. He could have chosen Ogres and just been the best player in the universe. For him, it might be the right choice, but if I took Ogres it wouldn't be a great choice, assuming my objective was to win games, and not the best army award. Which is equally pointless, but I enjoy that too ;)

Spartacus:

How about this. I spent a few hundred hours converting and painting my army. I’m proud of my work. It took a few hundred hours because I choose to go with an army “on the path less traveled”. I have several Warhammer armies, but I am most proud of my Chaos Dwarfs because they are the most unique, and they took the most modeling skill and creativity to put together. I am similarly proud of others who have decided to take the same path, because it is definitely not the easiest one.

When I got to the final round of the 'Ard Boyz tournament a couple years ago (and was proud to see Swiss there as well), the tournament organizer at the registration desk stood up, walked around the table, and said,“I want to shake your hand!” when he saw what army I registered for.

Ya! Chaos Dwarf Pride!

Spartacus:

Also, how are tournaments meaningless? In this one you can win a 3,000 point army. And even more important, they are fun events where you meet a lot of new people, many of which have never had the pleasure of being crushed by Chaos Dwarfs!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I wonder why Thommy H jumped on this “Pride” thing? It seems like a silly arguement to me as “Pride” is subjective to the one who has it, for whatever the reason.

Thommy H:

Also, how are tournaments meaningless?
Because caring about winning at Warhammer is inherently absurd. There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to spend a day playing Warhammer - as you rightly say, fun events where you meet a lot of new people - but I find the competitiveness that is necessarily a factor in tournaments to be completely unfathomable. I'm hoping that most people who enter tournaments treat it as what it should be - a fun day spent indulging your hobby with like-minded individuals - but I suspect that some people really put some kind of stock in winning at a game of toy soldiers, and that's just crazy to me.
How about this. I spent a few hundred hours converting and painting my army. I'm proud of my work. It took a few hundred hours because I choose to go with an army "on the path less traveled". I have several Warhammer armies, but I am most proud of my Chaos Dwarfs because they are the most unique, and they took the most modeling skill and creativity to put together. I am similarly proud of others who have decided to take the same path, because it is definitely not the easiest one.

When I got to the final round of the 'Ard Boyz tournament a couple years ago (and was proud to see Swiss there as well), the tournament organizer at the registration desk stood up, walked around the table, and said,"I want to shake your hand!" when he saw what army I registered for.

Ya! Chaos Dwarf Pride!
But that's not "Chaos Dwarf Pride" - that's "your army" pride! Which is totally fine and completely justified. And your army was that much more impressive because it was Chaos Dwarfs, yes, but I certainly don't feel any sense of reflected pride from your achievements because I also have a Chaos Dwarf army. Don't get me wrong: I respect what you did, and I'm happy for you, but pride? No, not that.
I wonder why Thommy H jumped on this "Pride" thing? It seems like a silly arguement to me as "Pride" is subjective to the one who has it, for whatever the reason.
Of course. But just because it's subjective doesn't mean it's right. You can be entitled to your opinion and still be completely and totally wrong. The sky is not red, even if you have the right to say that it is.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

So you’re saying I should take off my red glasses? :smiley:

Spartacus:

I guess it is silly that we are here debating the definition of pride, or examining the specific object of that pride.

I am very bummed though that we cannot field our beloved Chaos Dwarfs in the 'Ard Boyz tournament. I had a great time with them in the last two years, and I don’t see why they took them away. Last year they allowed them, and last year used 8th edition rules, so I just don’t see why.

I also don’t think they will allow me to take the Chaos Dwarfs to the Throne of Skulls tournament in Las Vegas. Double bummer. I was thinking about just using the models as a Dwarf army to sneak them in.

Da Crusha:

well I have “chaos dwarf pride” and “my army pride” and I think Warhammer tournaments are great! I also love it when another chaos dwarf player does good in a tournament. CHAOS DWARF PRIDE! it feels so good to say!

snowblizz:

Also, how are tournaments meaningless?  
Because caring about winning at Warhammer is inherently absurd. There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to spend a day playing Warhammer - as you rightly say, fun events where you meet a lot of new people - but I find the competitiveness that is necessarily a factor in tournaments to be completely unfathomable. I'm hoping that most people who enter tournaments treat it as what it should be - a fun day spent indulging your hobby with like-minded individuals - but I suspect that some people really put some kind of stock in winning at a game of toy soldiers, and that's just crazy to me.  

Thommy H
Quite frankly we are stepping on the toes of very deeply engrained human traits. We are social animals and as such hardwired for the validation of others. Likewise being able to share in other's accomplishments is a valuable "skill" for a member of a social group. This is why thousands of people paint their faces of their favourite team/country for a sports event. Some even do it alone at home in front of the TV and the next day act like it was they who scored the winning goal (or whatever).

There's really no difference in wargaming and sports in that sense, and it's just as crazy for me that people care so much about either. But I can recognize it for what it is.

As for allowing CDs in Ard Boyz, well GW has set the precedent of allowing them in the first place. Nothing has really changed from the previous year as to availability or access to rules or miniatures for CDs. You ask why GW should allow CDs? Status quo.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Actually, according to my rep, I could allow CD’s in the Preliminary 'ard Boys that I’m hosting. As to the Finals and Semi-Finals, they wouldn’t be allowed.

He does have a glimer of positive hope though…IF Forgeworld releases their CD book, that will probably change the CD standings for next year.

It may not be definate, but it is hopeful!