[Archive] Army Points and Percentages (Warhammer Fantasy)

Nicodemus:

Not sure if there’s a more appropriate subforum for this on CDO, but at least here it’ll get read-

Perhaps dumb question time regarding Warhammer and army points allowances.

I was of the understanding that the points allowances for any category in the army was dictated by the total points cost of the army. For example, if I had an exacty 2000pt army I could take a up to 500pts in the Lords category, let’s say; but, if I could only get my army to add up to 1992pts I’d only be able to take 25% of that value (498pts), not 25% of the army I was trying to make.  Is this correct?

In the latest White Dwarf there’s a Storm of Magic section on Sorcerous Pacts with some example army builds, and on p43 the High Elf army total is 2993 points, and the Monsters & Magic sction totals exactly 750 points (not 748, which would be 25%).

Can’t wait for someone to set me straight!

~N

Thommy H:

No, it’s a percentage of the limit, not the actual value of the army. So if you’re playing a 2,000 point game, you can spend 500 points on Rare units even if your army actually ends up being 1,995 points or something.

Nicodemus:

Thanks for the clarification. Can’t think of any instances for myself when it would have made a difference, but it makes it simpler than I was making it :wink:

Hashut’s Blessing:

Much easier :wink:

If you set a limit, that’s what sets your other limits (in 2k, a min of 500 points of core, even if you only spend 1,000 points total - extreme and strange example, but illustrates the point well).

Another thing to bare in mind is thatat 750 points, the maximum for lords/heroes/rares is actually 188 not 187 or 187.5 because it says to round up (although, I feel like it says rounding in your favour…).

cornixt:

Strictly speaking, it just mentions the army size, not the limit, but using the limit makes far more sense. I noticed this issue when 8th first appeared.

Abecedar:

There you go, Thanks for that. I’ve learnt something new for today and can relax.