[Archive] Ashe storm

zhatan87:

In the same line of logic, Goblin Fanatics automatically die when they hit terrain.
In french, they talk about "scenery" (décor), not terrain. Except hills. I don't know what it's written in english. But I intend they wrote scenery and not terrain...
zhatan87: It specifically states that you take the Dangerous Terrain tests when moving in any terrain. Ergo, that is overriding the usual rule of taking Dangerous Terrain tests based on what movement you make and what unit type you are. You just flat out take them.
They specifically state that the unit treats all terrain as dangerous terrain. So it refers to dangerous test, and we make DT when making "special" move.

Plus i find it very fluffy : all terrain are covered by ash. Not only dangerous terrain nor scenery. Open ground included (cause it's not exactly open ground now...)
+1 Although I definitely would not say it is of no use.
I was talking about DT, not the spell itself which is one of the best spell in the game...

Gunnerson:

In the same line of logic, Goblin Fanatics automatically die when they hit terrain.
In french, they talk about "scenery" (décor), not terrain. Except hills. I don't know what it's written in english. But I intend they wrote scenery and not terrain...
zhatan87: It specifically states that you take the Dangerous Terrain tests when moving in any terrain. Ergo, that is overriding the usual rule of taking Dangerous Terrain tests based on what movement you make and what unit type you are. You just flat out take them.
They specifically state that the unit treats all terrain as dangerous terrain. So it refers to dangerous test, and we make DT when making "special" move.

Plus i find it very fluffy : all terrain are covered by ash. Not only dangerous terrain nor scenery. Open ground included (cause it's not exactly open ground now...)
+1 Although I definitely would not say it is of no use.
I was talking about DT, not the spell itself which is one of the best spell in the game...

zhatan87
So where I play and the events I have played in all treat "open ground" as terrain if a unit is required to take a test that is caused by a special rule such as O'nG Night Shroud spell, The Tk spell or even Ash Stom. Its kind of odd that there any question about this.

GodHead:

You only take Dangerous Terrain tests when you charge, march, flee or pursue. You can’t do most of those under the effect of the spell.

It does not say you take Dangerous Terrain tests for normal movement.

The unit also treats all terrain (except impassable terrain) as dangerous terrain while the spell’s effect lasts.
Flames of Azgorh - Tamurkhan Throne of Chaos p.196
Some areas of terrain are incredibly treacherous and present a very real risk to life and limb. When a model marches, charges, flees, overruns or pursues into or through an area of dangerous terrain, it is called upon to take a Dangerous Terrain test �?" roll a D6. On a 2-6, the model successfully negotiates the dangers of the terrain and reaches its destination safe and sound. If a 1 is rolled, however, the model has suffered a terrible mishap and suffers a wound with no armour saves allowed.
Dangerous Terrain - Warhammer Rulebook p. 117

Note that Ashstorm does NOT say that the unit takes a Dangerous Terrain test if it moves for any reason, which a lot of you seem to be reading into it. They treat it as Dangerous Terrain. Dangerous Terrain forces you to test if you march, charge, flee, overrun or pursue. Never any other time.

burock:

godhead,

ash storm spell renders its target unable to march and charge already. so, if dangerous terrain isnt on the table for normal movement for this spell, the target will only roll DT tests for flee, overrun and pursue while under the effects of the spell, which i think is not worth it.

GodHead:

Uh…

Are you seriously saying that Ashstorm is not worth it?

Lol.

You don’t cast it for the dangerous terrain. The dangerous terrain is the icing on top of the ganache on top of the fondant on top of the whipped cream berry compote on top of the cake.

burock:

Uh...

Are you seriously saying that Ashstorm is not worth it?

Lol.

You don't cast it for the dangerous terrain. The dangerous terrain is the icing on top of the ganache on top of the fondant on top of the whipped cream berry compote on top of the cake.

GodHead
Ofc ash storm is worth casting. What i meant was, it is not worth adding a DT rule for such a limited context.

GodHead:

Of course it is. The unit can still flee, pursue and overrun.

It is substantially the same DT wording as in Curse of Anraheir:

In addition, the unit treats all terrain (other than impassable terrain) as dangerous terrain…
But distinctly NOT the same wording as the Incantation of Vengeance:
and treats all terrain (even open ground) as Dangerous Terrain, testing every time it moves (including when charging, fleeing, pursuing, moving cumpulsorily, etc.)…
Ash Storm and Curse of Anraheir do not alter regular movement. Vengeance does.