[Archive] Astragoth rules!

Grimstonefire:

What do you think of my version?

ASTRAGOTH … 525 Points

Lord Level Character

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
0  6  3 5 5 3 5 3 10    Astragoth
7  4  0 6 5 4 0 4 8    Khalkotauroi
Equipment:  Hand Weapon.  Khalkotauroi has a 3+ Armour Save.

Special Rules:

* Astragoth is a Level 4 Sorcerer and knows all of the Lore of Hashut Spells.

Stone Cold.  Astragoth is the most ancient and powerful Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer ever to have lived. Though the stone curse has taken effect on his limbs, Astragoth has a 3+ Magical Armour Save.  Replacing the usual rules for Stony Skin, this represents the fact that the few parts left of him that are not already stone are covered by enchanted mechanical aids, it includes the benefit from being mounted.

Khalkotauroi

Forged over many decades by the greatest Arcane Engineers of their age, Khalkotauroi is a true masterpiece of engineering. From its stomach the unbearable cacophony of a thousand screeching voices can be heard, which is often enough to kill its enemies from terror alone.

Special Rules:  Large Target, 5+ Ward Save, Immune to Psychology, Terror

Flames of Hashut.  This collosal machine is wreathed in flames of holy fire which will consume the unworthy enemies of Hashut, drawing their strength into the infernal machine and its cruel master.

Any enemy models in base contact with Khalkotauroi at the start of the close combat phase will automatically suffer 1 Strength 4 Flaming hit.  Keep track of the number of enemies killed by the Flames of Hashut.  For every 10 kills Astragoth will receive an additional Power Dice and Khalkotauroi an additional wound (to a maximum total of 8 Wounds).

Baggronor:

For every 10 kills
I would lower that. 10 dead from S4 hits in melee will take a long while, plus he has to get there in the first place. Or maybe total all wounds caused by him for this purpose?

Do you see him as riding a machine or being completely part of it? Personally I would consider giving him a single profile (I see him like a dreadnought :) as my illustration of him in the new WoH 1 shows). Also T5 on a non-flying large target is very fluffy... maybe T6? Or 4+ ward? Consider Hydras, Varghulfs, Treemen etc for their survivability?

Cool revamp though :)

Thommy H:

Is a “Magical Armour Save” a Ward save?

Grimstonefire:

@Thommy, I imagined that as just magical armour for him, the 5+ ward would apply to the mount.

I will probably edit that to read  

Any enemy models in base contact with Khalkotauroi at the start of the close combat phase will automatically suffer 1 Strength 4 Flaming hit.  

For every 10 kills Astragoth will receive an additional Power Dice and Khalkotauroi an additional wound (to a maximum total of 8 Wounds).

Between them they will already have potentially up to 10 attacks (3 astragoth, 4 mount, ).

3 Strength 5 - Astragoth

4 Strength 6 - Mount

Automatic S4 flaming hits (say 3 from 20mm based models in base contact)

This also ignores the potential kills from magic.

Seeing as the model doesn’t have any special weapons, and the overall strength is not that high I think keeping it at 10 kills for +1W and +1 power dice is probably ok now?

@Baggronor

That is a seriously cool piece of art you did.  One of my favourite pieces you’ve done actually.  Kudos.

A single profile… did you mean something more like this?

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6  6  3 6 6 7 5 3 10    Astragoth
This guy would even give a greater daemon trouble!

Thommy H:

So it’s a 3+ armour save then? There’s no such thing as a “magical armour save”, that’s all - you have armour saves and ward saves. It doesn’t matter what the source is. It’s not like magical attacks.

Baggronor:

Was thinking more like

M WS BS S T W I A Ld

Astragoth 6 5 3 5 6 5 1 5 10

With 1+ armour, 5+ ward. Terror, mechanical body immune to poison etc.

Killing Blow fto represent his Overdrive Hammer arm and flaming attacks.

+1 power dice for every 10 kills through melee or magic?

Just my take on it :cheers

Thommy H:

Combined profile is the way to go certainly. What does “includes the benefit from being mounted” actually mean anyway? It has multiple wounds, so I assume it would count as a ridden monster?

Grimstonefire:

Ok.  Another attempt.  I’ve done some big changes.  I also started a bit of art inspired by Baggronor, except mine has 4 legs and is holding a hammer (a hand weapon).  I wanted to avoid him being too strong in combat.

ASTRAGOTH … 450 Points

Lord Level Character

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6  5  3 6 6 5 3 3 10    Astragoth
Note:  If Astragoth is taken he must be the army General

Equipment:  Hand Weapon.  

Base Size: 40mm x 40mm

Special Rules:  Terror, Immune to Poison

* Astragoth is a Level 4 Sorcerer and knows all of the Lore of Hashut Spells.

Stone Cold.  Astragoth is the most ancient and powerful Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer ever to have lived. Though the stone curse has taken effect on his limbs, Astragoth has a 1+ Armour Save and a 5+ Ward Save.  Replacing the usual rules for Stony Skin, this represents the fact that the few parts left of him that are not already stone are covered by enchanted mechanical aids.

Flames of Hashut.

Forged over many decades by the greatest Arcane Engineers of their age, the mechanical armour Astragoth is fitted into is a true masterpiece of engineering. From its stomach the unbearable cacophony of a thousand screeching voices can be heard, which is often enough to kill its enemies from terror alone.  The machine is wreathed in flames of holy fire which will consume the unworthy enemies of Hashut, drawing their strength into the infernal machine and its cruel master.

Astragoth has Flaming Attacks.  Any enemy models in base contact with Astragoth at the start of the close combat phase will automatically suffer 1 Strength 4 Flaming hit.

For every 10 wounds caused by melee or magic Astragoth will add an additional Power Dice to his pile.