[Archive] Avatars of War Dwarf Beserkers

laribold:

Hi all,

I am seriously considering starting a Chaos Dwarf army, but am currently baulking a bit at the price (understandably).

I’ve seen the Mantic abyssal dwarfs and as much as I like the price, I really cannot bring myself to like the models… There’s just something not quite right to my eyes.

However, I have been very impressed by the look of the Avatars of War Dwarf Beserkers. With a decent price and LOTS of options I was wondering if anybody had used these as a basis for Chaos Dwarfs?

Any tips or advice on this idea would be much appreciated…

Skink:

I haven’t tried those (yet) but as they are made in plastic it should be fairly easy to cut & snip before sculpting.

It really Depends on the look you are searching for and how good you are at converting/sculpting. If you want heavily armored dwarfs you should definitely take a look at the titanwargames.com range, cheap and beautifully sculpted. Otherwise the AoW berserkers (being almost naked) will be a real pain in the ***!

Nytro made some good minis out of the Mantic Dwarfs (regualr, not Abyssal), here’s the link: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8016 … They look very good to me!

Exxonvaldez:

A friend of mine bought 2 boxes and the heads are separate from the beards which makes for a good iron sworn head swaps with infernal guard but it was too expensive. The models are great but I don’t know how you would use them for CD

laribold:

I haven't tried those (yet) but as they are made in plastic it should be fairly easy to cut & snip before sculpting.

It really Depends on the look you are searching for and how good you are at converting/sculpting. If you want heavily armored dwarfs you should definitely take a look at the titanwargames.com range, cheap and beautifully sculpted. Otherwise the AoW berserkers (being almost naked) will be a real pain in the ***!

Skink
Thanks for the response. Those Titan wargames dwarfs are great! I think I might need to get some of those for a HW&Sh unit.

My thinking behind using the AoW berserkers and armouring them up was to model a slight rim on the naked torsos and to paint them metal as though they were breastplates (greek hoplite style). Do you think that would work?

Skink:

My thinking behind using the AoW berserkers and armouring them up was to model a slight rim on the naked torsos and to paint them metal as though they were breastplates (greek hoplite style).  Do you think that would work?

laribold
Meh, I'm quite skeptic about this. The issue with armors is that they create (obviously) a layer on the model. Said in simple words from a person that doesn't speak very good english: skin is under, armor is on top. By my personal experience adding a rim to a mini and painting skin surfaces with a shiny fancy metallic color doesn't create the "illusion" of a chest plate IMO. Imagine that in London I saw middle age armors two inches thick on the torso (jeez that REALLY must have been heavy:))

laribold:

Meh, I'm quite skeptic about this. The issue with armors is that they create (obviously) a layer on the model. Said in simple words from a person that doesn't speak very good english: skin is under, armor is on top. By my personal experience adding a rim to a mini and painting a surface a shiny fancy metallic color doesn't create the "illusion" of a chest plate IMO. Imagine that in London I saw middle age armors two inches thick on the torso (jeez that REALLY must have been heavy:))

Skink
Hmmm. I think you're probably right about that. The beards seem to cover up the vast majority of the front of the chests anyway... Maybe it'll just provide a decent form to stick scales onto.

Maybe I should just buy a pack and take a shot at it!

And don't apologise for your English, it's a damn site better than my Italian!

Ciao :P

Baggronor:

I used the AoW Berserkers to make Possessed (Slayers for my counts-as Dwarfs), just weapons swaps and adding the old Chaos Space Marine Possessed arms. I would be careful with attaching armour to them, they are very bulky and muscular and I suspect you may end up with very fat-armed armoured Dwarfs (I’m not just saying this so you might buy some of my Titan Wargames Dwarfs btw ;)). What you might consider is armoured heads and chests - bare arms can work well (the Dwarf miners for example) and with a helmet and armoured torso they should still look good. You’ll probably need to make your own, which is the down side. Take it from me, 150 masks and beards later, you really only want to do this if you have serious dedication to the cause :slight_smile: Nothing worse than getting halfway and going, “Omg whyyyyyyy”. I speak from experience there too.

Or you could convert the Dwarf Miners. That works as well.

Kera foehunter:

Well i foundthat the aow to be great Convention figures.

throw the heads are small to me , so i just change them .

lol , well i kept the arms and the Mohawk .

so i say go for it !! sweetie

here a little something for those who well it is the season fore giving.

Kera

Smog:

I used some to make bull centaurs

WIP pictures:

http://i40.tinypic.com/10mj89i.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2nur3bn.jpg

ChungEssence:

I think you may be able to pull it off.

I mean Sigvald the Slaanesh champion of Chaos is wearing armor, however with a great paintjob a guy managed to get it looking like he was barechested with a 6 pack without any modification.