[Archive] Back with a new army...� � CD2.0 (now with more black Chaos Dwarves)

Skabrad:

Howdy gang,

It has been a while since I popped up in these forums and as a result my old account has disappeared…

For those who remember I used to own the GW USA studio chaos dwarf army that I had heavily converted and added to.

For happy snaps please look here:

The Land O Misfit Toys: US Studio Chaos Dwarf Army

I am also the guy who sculpted the original tzeentch daemon eyeball army… Which can be seen here:

The Land O Misfit Toys: The Almost FInished Daemon Army...

or here:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6575

And recently while I have been messing around with 40K plague marines:

I thought I would get back to fantasy and my love of evil dwarves with oversized hats. I picked up The Turmakhan book over Christmas and I think it is time for a new and improved Chaos Dwarf army.

I shamelessly stole this idea from someone years ago (don’t remember who) but I have been toying with it ever since. The idea behind my warriors is that they are the upper bodies of the bull centaurs and the lower bodies of the plastic crappy chaos dwarves with sculpting to fill the gaps and fix the issues. Why go to the trouble? Well the models are far more dynamic, expressive and are bigger.

Here are a few test models:

And from behind. I have covered most of the chop and change with scale mail resculpting and a belt.

Sorry I black primed the models and then took pictures. Makes it hard to see. Tried to doctor the piccies a bit to help you see.

What do you guys think?

vulcanologist:

Very interesting! I really like the sorcerer? With the mace!

Skabrad:

Actually those are all rank and file dudes. :slight_smile:

G.2:

For those who remember I used to own the GW USA studio chaos dwarf army that I had heavily converted and added to.

Skabrad
I remember seeing that army on the internet a while ago, and thought what a lovely "old-school" color scheme. I really liked it a lot....hang on....what do you mean "I used to own"....where is that lovely army now?
I am also the guy who sculpted the original tzeentch daemon eyeball army...

Skabrad
That is absolutely weird. I am putting it into the same catergory as the "cube" army, that is out there somewhere. It is W E I R D, I tells ya!
And recently while I have been messing around with 40K plague marines:

Skabrad
This is very nice indeed. It takes me back so many years to see that mini. Thanks for trip down memory lane.
The idea behind my warriors is that they are the upper bodies of the bull centaurs and the lower bodies of the plastic crappy chaos dwarves with sculpting to fill the gaps and fix the issues.

Skabrad
Now this I really like a LOT. I have had the same idea, but have never had the will power to actually do anything to those Bull Centaurs, especially considering how expensive they now are. I would really like to see yours painted. Thanks for sharing.

Bolg:

I love the more dynamic conversions. hope to see them painted up soon (:

cornixt:

That works really well. I have a few leftover torsos that I might do something similar with

Skabrad:

Yeah the eyes predate the cubes by a fair bit and were ever copied by a dude on warseer those his look much better.

To be honest I sold the old chaos dwarf army because they were my fantasy crutch. I could never get anything done or play anything else in fantasy until I sold them. Now I have a pile of fantasy armies and I will have a new crutch that I will have entirely painted myself.

Abecedar:

interesting, though I cringe at chopping up olde models

ChungEssence:

Great models.

Liking ‘Hthark’ or whatever he was called. Looks very natural

Skabrad:

The Chaos Dwarf madness continues. After a crazy week of work in my new job at a new school I have been able to finish cutting and assembling 26 of the 30 chaos dwarf warrior hybrids that I need for my new army. The last 4 slots will be taken up by a yet to be determined unit filler (suggestions anyone?). That just leaves a fairly large number of belts, pouches and scale mail armour pieces to sculpt to cover up the construction. Well I know what I will be doing for a while.

With the actual dwarves sorted that just leaves the rest of the core to be filled out. In a word: Hobgoblins!

What can I say, I love the little blighters. In my mind they are an integral part of the chaos dwarf fluff and story. I have always thought that the chaos dwarves would be few in number and that in battle they would drag along their backstabbing, sneaky minions to get in the way of enemies while the dwarves whittled down opponents from afar. In the new book they were the biggest disappointment for me as the new list did not include my favourite unit in the old army. Sneaky Gitz. Sure they were crap but they were cheap and man did I have fun poisoning everything in sight. The new list has generic Hobgoblins but at 5 points I know that I would rather have regular goblins (for less) or chaos marauders (who are admittedly undercosted).

Whatever. I got over it. I decided that I needed my hobgoblin unit to out number my Chaos Dwarf unit as I explained earlier I feel as though that is the way it would work in “real life.” Probably not a great battlefield choice but I am not playing Chaos Dwarves to win.

Now a while ago as part of my “Chaos Dwarf Liberation” Orc and Goblin Army I made generic goblins that I intentionally designed to appear more hobgobliny than regular goblins. They were made using a 40K ork shoota with clips and handles cut off. This pole was then stuck to a base muzzle down so it made a cylinder of plastic sticking up. From there I glued a goblin head to the tube and sculpted furry cloaks to cover the tube and to give the model some girth (not much mind you… they are supposed to be weedy). They ended up looking like this:

From there paint was applied and they ended up looking like this: (please keep in mind that the helmets are not done and I have not decided what to do with the bases yet)

Or a close up:

Hope you like them… More to the point I hope I like them on the battlefield. With 40 I am paying a fair number of points for a crappy unit. Time will tell I suppose.

Oh and before I forget… I need to figure out shields for these guys at some point.

ryanamandaanna:

That’s a very interesting take on hobgoblins… kinda like pygmy warriors or something…

Abecedar:

Those hobGobs really tickle my fancy. “Cousin Its” (from the adams family) with gobbo heads. You just don’t know what they’re up to under them there cloaks

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Cousin It! That’s exactly what I was thinking!!

cornixt:

They look a bit weird without arms, but it looks like a great way to use bits to make a unit without needing to properly sculpt the body.

Skabrad:

I came up with the cloak idea a few years ago when there was no new CD army list in sight and yet I wanted to do something Chaos Dwarfy. So I decided to do the CD Liberation army. It is a liberated O and G slave army using various models and themes from the CD list.

Basically the idea of the army is that a group of Black Orcs lead an army of escaped orcs and (hob)goblins across the World�?Ts Edge Mountains into Old World. Hilarity ensues (or something). The army is is supposed to be made up of the hardened, starving, freezing survivors of a green skin revolt from their chaos dwarf slave masters. I wanted models in the army to have furs and to look thin and “ard” looking.

Lots and lots of boys. Now I have painted the orc horde for my 40K swamp orc army and I was really over it by the end. I really wanted to do something different model wise. I got to thinking about what an orc refugee would be wearing as he crossed the World Edge mountains�?� Probably the skins of anything he kill in his path. Heavy cloaked orcs. Yeah, that�?Ts the ticket! I watched the Dark Knight again and had an idea. The boyz in the background have heavy furs draped over them like Batman when he is shrouded in his cape (with just the faces showing). The boys in the front rank have thrown their furs back and their arms and fronts are exposed with the furs hanging down their backs. If that makes sense?

The Goblins on the other hand use their cloaks to be sneaky as only goblins can so none of those models have their cloaks thrown back. I had initially modelled my front rank models using a variety of plastic orc models. After the release of the newest book though… This will probably change as now with mostly naked orc models in existence (savage orcs) there are better front rankers to use than the ones that I have built.

I built the orcs out of two dice, an orc head and lots of green stuff…

Painted they look like this:

I have an army of these boys in various states of completion. I will post the army when I get to it with progress reports in the off topic discussion later.

Skabrad:

So it has been an insane week at my new school which has really cut down on the amount of hobby time I have available at the moment.  That being said I have finished sculpting the join bitz on my unit of 26 chaos dwarves and in hoping to paint the other night… I primed the lot black…  They are still black.

Here are some shots of a few of the bull centaur/ warrior hybrid models…

You might notice that besides weapon swaps I have done some hat swaps to vary the models.

and from behind…

not the most amazing sculpting I have ever done but I think that once paint hit these models they will look much better.

More soon… I hope…

Skink:

Nice take on the warriors dude. I can’t wait to see them painted up. I need to say that I really like your take on the Hobbos. They really have a “steppe warriors” flavor, even though I would prefer to see arms and weapons as well!!!

ChungEssence:

Lol… I saw the Hobgobbo’s and immediately thought…

GRUG!!

Can anyone remember that thing?

Liking the Chaos Dwafs and the Grug’s are funky also

Skabrad:

So it has been an insane week at my new school which has really cut down on the amount of hobby time I have available at the moment.  That being said I have finished sculpting the join bitz on my unit of 26 chaos dwarves and in hoping to paint the other night… I primed the lot black…  They are still black.

Here are some shots of a few of the bull centaur/ warrior hybrid models…

You might notice that besides weapon swaps I have done some hat swaps to vary the models.

and from behind…

not the most amazing sculpting I have ever done but I think that once paint hit these models they will look much better.

More soon… I hope…

Skabrad:

So I sold my Blood Angels…

1) I didn’t paint them

2) I have played exactly three turns of 6th ed. I like it but meh… I just don’t care at the moment…

3) It took up a stupid amount of space in my closet I desperately needed for other things… Like Clothes… Etc…

I have also been chatting with an old mate who was looking for some painting work. His stuff is ace (as in he is a daemon winner)… I have some cash from the sale and a burning desire to have my Chaos Dwarves done…

Soooo I finished building the dwarves for the list I have written…

Y’all can see the basic warriors above�?�

Next up are the war machine crew. I made these using the “new” Avatars of War Dwarf Slayers with plastic chaos warrior heads, green stuff beards and other bitz and bobs… I have three war machines in my list and sooo… nine crew…

Last up the characters… I used the Forge World Character pack for this with a few small modifications. The models are on raised bases so they stand out from their stunty buddies. I shouldn’t have worried they are big and don’t blend in at all. I still like the look though.

I gave my BSB a book as a banner as a small nod to the tourney I run down here in Melbourne once a year, Book Of Grudges…

These boys head out tomorrow for Europe. I cannot wait for their return…