[Archive] Baddest Animal on the planet

Willmark:

Random topic:

For its size:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine

One of the nastiest creatures (pound for pound) these things can fend of bears from a kill and tackle wolves.

Another contender:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_badger

Snotling:

A “Living Laguage” excursion:
The German name of this animal(Wolverine) is the same the Ogre Kingdom Maneaters have in German ^^
…really nasty :smiley:

Willmark:

Honey badger is no slouch, one got bitten by a puff adder fell unconscious for a few hours woke up and shrugged it off. And then finished eating the snake!
For bad ass stats on the Puff Adder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitis_arietans

Honey Badger snacks on snake:

Thorne:

for just plain bad you have to consider the Tasmanian Devil dont you surely, Even the Tasmanian devil’s babies strike a chord of being damn mean, Taking down prey as big as a full sized kangaroo.

Thommy H:

Honey badgers are, pound for pound, the most dangerous land mammal. It’s due to their size to claws/teeth ratio. They’re also the most fearless animal - not my words: the words of the Guinness Book of Records. I know a guy who worked as a bush ranger in South Africa, who took people on safaris and looked after all kinds of amazing wild animals. He encountered wildebeest, elephants, giraffes and lions every day, but when a honey badger crossed in front of the truck one day, that was the animal he stopped to take a picture of.

snowblizz:

Honey badger is no slouch, one got bitten by a puff adder feel unconscious for a few hours woke up and shrugged it off. And then finished eating the snake!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitis_arietans

Willmark
Sorry. I can't take an animal named "bitis" seriously. It immediately translates in my mind into Swedish roughly as "bit(e)y".
"Bit!" (SE) would be the imperative form of bite (EN). "Bitis" (SE) would thus be a nickname or pet-name for a pet that bites a lot.
A friendly snake in a children's book would likely be named "bitis" as a sort of pun.

Though I guess calling it a "puff" adder doesn't exactly help. Doesn't sound very dangerous at all.

Willmark:

Considering its one of the most deadly snakes in Africa, I’d say its something I’d give a healthy amount of respect.

snowblizz:

Considering its one of the most deadly snakes in Africa, I'd say its something I'd give a healthy amount of respect.

Willmark
But then you need to call it something which imbues respect. Isn't there a "3 second viper" in Australia? Dead in 3 seconds.

Call the snake "ultra-super-nasty snake" and we all get what's what.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Simply put: the Black Mamba (or Mumba, I forget). The most deadly and aggressive animal in the world and kills damned near instantly. My old physics teacher, whom had been shot and bitten by a crocodile and survived both, said that it was the only thing he felt scared of and was glad he was now in England, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Thommy H:

Sorry. I can't take an animal named "bitis" seriously. It immediately translates in my mind into Swedish roughly as "bit(e)y".
"Bit!" (SE) would be the imperative form of bite (EN). "Bitis" (SE) would thus be a nickname or pet-name for a pet that bites a lot.
A friendly snake in a children's book would likely be named "bitis" as a sort of pun.

Though I guess calling it a "puff" adder doesn't exactly help. Doesn't sound very dangerous at all.

snowblizz
Ahem...

"In humans, bites from this species can produce severe local and systemic symptoms. Based on the degree and type of local effect, bites can be divided into two symptomatic categories: those with little or no surface extravasation, and those with hemorrhages evident as ecchymosis, bleeding and swelling. In both cases there is severe pain and tenderness, but in the latter there is widespread superficial or deep necrosis. Serious bites cause limbs to become immovably flexed as a result of significant hemorrhage or coagulation in the affected muscles. Residual induration, however, is rare and usually these areas completely resolve.

"If not treated carefully, necrosis will spread, causing skin, subcutaneous tissue and muscle to separate from healthy tissue and eventually slough with serous exudate. The slough may be superficial or deep, sometimes down to the bone. Gangrene and secondary infections commonly occurs and can result in loss of digits and limbs."

It's bite causes your limbs to rot off. You do not mess with a puff adder. I heard this from the same bush ranger who had such huge respect for the honey badger. Anything that can kill and eat a puff adder is seriously hard.

Willmark:

Considering its one of the most deadly snakes in Africa, I'd say its something I'd give a healthy amount of respect.

Willmark
But then you need to call it something which imbues respect. Isn't there a "3 second viper" in Australia? Dead in 3 seconds.

Call the snake "ultra-super-nasty snake" and we all get what's what.

snowblizz
Great you can argue about how it has a wussy name the next time it bites you. :)P

Border Reiver:

You guys have been reading this.

Thommy H:

No, my honey badger information comes from a man who reared some. They kept digging their way out of the enclosure - which doesn’t sound too impressive, until you hear that it was floored with concrete.

Sousunou:

I will second the Black Mamba, I shared a physics teacher with HB.

Personally, my vote goes to the Hippopotamus. While I may scream like a little girl when a false widow appears unexpectedly, I think my hat is permanently off to the hippo. For such a placid looking animal it really isn’t all that friendly. They have quite thick skin, a lot of mass and cause on average thirty-three deaths a day. Sure, dying in 3 seconds from a snake bite is unpleasant but being flattened by a hippo and being unable to move due to the damage it caused, and slowly dying is far worse in my book.

:cheers:

Willmark:

You guys have been reading this.

Border Reiver
No but that is damn funny. Moral of the story is don't F with a Honey Badger!

Makes sense that Wolverines are such bad asses as well the two are closely related.

Neil:

I think my vote is for the crocodile who shot a teacher. :wink:

Nicodemus:

Badgers? We don’t need no stinking badgers!

snowblizz:

I think my vote is for the crocodile who shot a teacher. ;)

Neil
I have to agree!

I've always told people who hunt "it's not sporting, they don't have guns" and "you'll be sorry when the animals get guns as well".

Hashut’s Blessing:

He did have to make the playing field even :wink:

But, I agree with Sousunou: Hippos are officially the deadliest animal as they cause the most deaths per year (not sure if that’s in their country/continent/the world though). Their jaws are the scariest part: simply don’t surprise them, don;t get between them and water and don’t bother them (particularly in water).

Willmark:

I Hunt or I used to. I never thought of it as a sport per say as the other side diesnt know it’s “playing”.