[Archive] Base size **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**(2)

khedyarl:

Does it matter for a war machine?

Thommy H
I don't think so, unless there's something I'm missing. Warmachines have no flank or rear for purposes of close combat, and I'm struggling to think of anything else that impacts a flank or rear that isn't CC.

Thommy H:

Exactly. They can also pivot at will before shooting (I think) and the crew are just Wound tokens which are arbitrarily positioned in base contact with an attacking enemy unit in close combat. So there’s never any situation where the model’s facing matters, as far as I know.

Samanos:

since the model is so big i have to be careful with my deployment, thats the main reason im asking. Curiosity as well :slight_smile:

Vardan Painkiller:

Base sizes for mashines are very important when it comes to shooting them with templates, the smaller base the smaller chance to get hit.

40x40 mm for a cannon means it can be hit from other cannon only on 2 results, for stone thrower its even worse if u center template on 40x40 anything other than hit will miss cetral hole.

I am resurecting this old topic cos i was searching web for etc base size restrictions.

Da Crusha:

Base sizes for mashines are very important when it comes to shooting them with templates, the smaller base the smaller chance to get hit.
40x40 mm for a cannon means it can be hit from other cannon only on 2 results,  for stone thrower its even worse if u center template on 40x40 anything other than hit will miss cetral hole.

I am resurecting this old topic cos i was searching web for etc base size restrictions.

Vardan Painkiller
bases for warmachines aren't necessary at all. if you're gonna model for advantage, do it right.

Thommy H:

Yeah, check the rules for war machines in the rulebook. They don’t need to be put on bases, and even if you model it on one, it isn’t used for any gaming purposes.

Hashut’s Blessing:

In fact, I could be wrong, but I’m fairly certain the main ruleboo specifically tells you that you have to us ethe base the model comes with - I.E. No base int he box, no base for model.

That being said, good judgement is all it takes - people won’t mind a slightly larger base if it’s been made to look good and the same with a smaller one. It’s when it’s arbitrarily bigger or smaller that people won’t like it.

Thommy H:

When a base is required, you use what it came with. But war machines specifically don’t need to be based - I don’t think any of them have ever come with bases anyway, but even if they did you wouldn’t need to use them.

Vardan Painkiller:

Isnt finecast hellcannon on 100x150 mm. And in competitive gaming ppl fight about if its a hit or not, a lot. Bases help as hell, as long as model fits reasonably, (most fit on 50by50 or 50by75). Another issue is overruns after wiping a warmashine, no base give advantage of adjusting the angle. I found out that not having a base is often abused by people.

IMHO no bases for warmachines is another example how unrealistic, or actually plain stupid, GW rules writers are.

Da Crusha:

the Hellcannon is classified as a monster not a war machine.

burock:

instead of starting a new thread, i ll just ask my q here:

what’s the consensus for the base size for iron daemon/skullcracker? 60x100mm is mentioned here and no info on wiki.

Thommy H:

It doesn’t need one. It’s Unique, so you only have to give it the base it comes on - which is none.

burock:

It doesn't need one. It's Unique, so you only have to give it the base it comes on - which is none.

Thommy H
ic then. still, i m not comfy with leaving it without a base. I ll just go with a 60x100 then.

thanks.

Mahvo:

It doesn't need one. It's Unique, so you only have to give it the base it comes on - which is none.

Thommy H
ic then. still, i m not comfy with leaving it without a base. I ll just go with a 60x100 then.

thanks.

burock
I have my own Iron Daemon on 100 x 150. Doesn't feel too small at all. since the model is huge.

Arguably this might give me some advantage against some armies, since ID can charge only in straight line and bigger the frontage bigger the charge arch - but then again, I'm getting fisted by all templates and cannons.