[Archive] Batallion Boxes

snowblizz:

As to the unit choices in battalion boxes, they're released as speed starts for an army, and will show the maximum number of units that can be made usually. The number in each unit is based around the number provided in the unit boxes, which itself is based off of slightly old rules (ie they tend to appear in numbers that were more useful when it was 4 per rank instead of 5).

Basing boxes around what certain people may or may not play with is a bit too personalized, and certainly involves over-taxing the company psychics, mind readers, and fortune tellers, to be of any use for a company.

dedwrekka
Yeah, when 7th came out I looked at getting the old starterbox for the minis as one could then trade in the rulebook for the new one, but noticing the orks were just monopose ones I didn't bother though it was fairly cheap (i.e. the same as the new rulebook anyway). I didn't think the battalion had those though?

AGPO:

The ogre box is even more more valuable as you can assemble two of the bulls as ironguts. Most of the boxes benefit from the fact that as there are many plastic parts you cna kitbash to come out with some characters. Highelves are a prime example. Swapping round some archer, silverhelm and spearman parts you can get enough characters to bring your army up to 1,000pts

Fallen246:

Theoretically, you can do that with every army box AGPO.

I didn’t want to do how many heroes each army can assemble with the parts :S

@Snowblizz:

Also, 20 Cosairs in the DE box? That would make it a tad more worthwhile…

UK Box

AUS Box

You’re absolutely correct dude. Well, it isn’t the first typo I’ve seen on the Oz site, (though, not going to be arsed finding another) so I will have to fix my previous analysis of it.

EDIT: Also, the price! 48.95 British pounds = 119.097783 Australian dollars. So after shipping costs GW sells for another $30AUD.

Onii One Orc:

Back in 6th ed, those orcs were the same sculpts used in the starter box set, and at the time they were released they were some of the only sculpts available for the orcs. Though I consider the one-piece orcs with choppas to be some of the most dynamic ones available (even the multi part kits cant get that rowdy without converting). Though if you really didn't think they were worth it, you probably should have paid more attention to the box's contents before purchase.

dedwrekka
Keep in mind that I went from 5th straight to 6th without buying a starter set; I simply purchased the hardcover 6th edition rulebook. Until you mentioned it just now, I literally had no idea that there was a starter box set for 6th edition, and that that's where the monopose orcs came from. Either way, I still feel that for $90, they should have included something other than one-piece sculpts, no matter how dynamic they may be.

Good point though about the battalion boxes being intended as starters for an army; I suppose that if I wanted to start a different army these days, and had the cash for it, I'd take a look at the battalions too.

snowblizz:

Theoretically, you can do that with every army box AGPO.

I didn't want to do how many heroes each army can assemble with the parts :S

@Snowblizz:
Also, 20 Cosairs in the DE box? That would make it a tad more worthwhile...
UK Box
AUS Box

You're absolutely correct dude. Well, it isn't the first typo I've seen on the Oz site, (though, not going to be arsed finding another) so I will have to fix my previous analysis of it.

EDIT: Also, the price! 48.95 British pounds = 119.097783 Australian dollars. So after shipping costs GW sells for another $30AUD.

Fallen246
Hey, I am as surprised as you! I even told someone there was only 10 corsairs and then someone linked to the UK site and was all "yes there is 20!"... J'accuse!

Yeah, well the difference in price currently comes from the pound sterling having dropped almost 50% in value against most currencies.
Yet, GW hasn't adjusted prices to reflect (which I do understand) so if you are able to you can "play the market". I for one am pretty pleased as suddenly I can buy GW stuff half off + on-line discounts from the UK with my Euros. So if I today buy some Ork stuff, what GW sells for £35/�,�50 I can get for ~£30 on-line from the UK!
A couple of years ago I ordered from the US because a Land Raider was 50�,�, thewarstore sold it for 44$!!! And every euro bought me 1,4$ worth of stuff! Even after shipping (which wasn't exactly cheap it saved me some), though I was really buying Sabol foamtrays and the cheaper models were intended to "pay" for the cost to ship the trays.
FWIW GW massively overcharges European customers compared to e.g. the US.

Fallen246:

Also, mailing costs affecting you with that much?

I live in Australia, don’t think their UK branch would mail to me… and if they did, they’d probably charge me more :S

$120 for me is far more desirable for a box of dudes…

snowblizz:

Also, mailing costs affecting you with that much?

I live in Australia, don't think their UK branch would mail to me... and if they did, they'd probably charge me more :S

$120 for me is far more desirable for a box of dudes...

Fallen246
Yes unfortunately (and let's not even talk about mailing something from here *shudders*.
From the US around 30$ IIRC, whether I bought a little or a lot. So just buying the foam trays would have been 30$ shipping, throwing in some cheap vehicles, still 30$ shipping, well maybe slightly more.

And I agree that you might not be able take advantage. However Maelstrom offers free shipping on products, I don't know if they extend that to Australia though.
Shipping is usually the killer I've found. Several German stores wanted 30�,� to ship here, and it isn't that far for the tiniest thing. Buying the same from a UK store cost ~3£ shipping and I got it in 2 days!
What a difference!
What I'm really looking at is the Forgeworld stuff though, buy most of the big kits and you get express shipping for free.

Fallen246:

So I would definately have to buy in bulk for any benefit.

Although, I do want the Warriors of Chaos Batallion, potentially the DE batallion, potentially the ogres batallion (for an ogre-pirate army), potentially the skaven batallion for Mordheim skaven warbands (Eshin AND Pestilens)… (though I will need some gutter runners maybe as well) and the VC batallion would be cool just to have some shambling undead…

But realistically, ogres and Warriors batallions. They both have what I’d already buy (and the ogres gives me some free gnoblars to toy with) and maybe the DE even though I dislike the new corsairs to the metal ones, I can still use them for trading/conversions/selling.

$360 (plus shipping…) instead of $450.

P.S. I still believe batallions are for saving money/army starting/building, otherwise they have no point.

Helsreth:

So I would definately have to buy in bulk for any benefit.

Although, I do want the Warriors of Chaos Batallion, potentially the DE batallion, potentially the ogres batallion (for an ogre-pirate army), potentially the skaven batallion for Mordheim skaven warbands (Eshin AND Pestilens)... (though I will need some gutter runners maybe as well) and the VC batallion would be cool just to have some shambling undead...

But realistically, ogres and Warriors batallions. They both have what I'd already buy (and the ogres gives me some free gnoblars to toy with) and maybe the DE even though I dislike the new corsairs to the metal ones, I can still use them for trading/conversions/selling.

$360 (plus shipping...) instead of $450.

P.S. I still believe batallions are for saving money/army starting/building, otherwise they have no point.

Fallen246
Don't order from England for cheaper battalions.

I live in Australia, as I assume you do from your flag. There's a company based in NSW who do discount warhammer, I think the battalions are $120. Regiment boxes are $40. They also, for $22 sell you a big coil of green stuff.

www.scrapdragon.com.au

They are pretty good with getting it to you on time, I ordered mine on a Monday, had it on Friday, I assume the wait was due to them getting the green stuff in from a place in Victoria.

Fallen246:

Helsreth.

You are my new hero.

EDIT: Shipping costs?

Helsreth:

$17 to Brisbane, the site has a “calculate shipping” feature at the check out. $12-$7 more than GW but the price difference more than makes up for this, and I am pretty sure it does not matter how much you order (I had 2 WoC battalions, 2 pairs of dragon wings, 2 long rolls of GS, 2 marauder horsemen boxes and 1 ogre bulls box and was still charged $17).

The only down side is they do not have everything, such as blisters, they have very few, and doubt that they have plastic chaos spawns.

Fallen246:

Holy crap.

This is awesome.

YOU DEFINATELY ARE MY NEW HERO. TAKE SOME SLAVES.