[Archive] Battle Banners

Kera foehunter:

well i like to get more of a pinnet style of a banner for my troops

what could i use ???

green stuff or plastic card ???:yar:yar

Skink:

Use paper! It’s easy to cut, easy to shape, you can make fantastic freehands, & soaked in 2 or 3 layers of PVA glue it’s even resisent!:slight_smile:

This way you can make all the pirate flags you wish!:yar

GRNDL:

Paper is probably the most controllable way, but you can get some cool results by cutting out some thin plasticard and then heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer. When it becomes all floppy, you have some time to form it with pencils, dowels and whatever other tools you like. When it cools down again it will keep that shape. If you want to get fancy, make a form out of plasticine in the shape of the ripples you want in the banner. Measure out your pennant on top of it, then cut it out. Heat it up and while its floppy place it on the form - if its hot enough gravity will pull it onto the form and you’ll get the shape you want:

Side view

_______ = plasticard heated up

/_/_ = plasticine (or some other temperature resistant material, malleable)

Afterward you’ll get the _/_/_

Think of like cheap-assed vaccuum forming. :slight_smile:

Skink:

wow GRNDL I never heard/seen something like this before. Have you/someone ever tried it? If so there’s any chance to see a tutorial &/or some photos?

Kera foehunter:

What about the plastis drink cups you get at a 7/11 like a( big gulp )type …

7/11 is one of the corner stores that sell everything

they would be like the the same one you get at Mc Donalds

they seem easy and a little heat can bend them too ??

but i love the paper idea guys

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Paper is probably the most controllable way, but you can get some cool results by cutting out some thin plasticard and then heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer. When it becomes all floppy, you have some time to form it with pencils, dowels and whatever other tools you like. When it cools down again it will keep that shape.  If you want to get fancy, make a form out of plasticine in the shape of the ripples you want in the banner. Measure out your pennant on top of it, then cut it out. Heat it up and while its floppy place it on the form - if its hot enough gravity will pull it onto the form and you'll get the shape you want:

Side view

_______  = plasticard heated up

_/\_/\__  = plasticine (or some other temperature resistant material, malleable)

Afterward you'll get the _/\_/\_

Think of like cheap-assed vaccuum forming. :)

GRNDL
That sounds really cool GRNDL. Have you ever tried this out? What strength of plasticard would you recommend? Cheers! :cheers

Bassman:

My GH 9 entry shows you a plasticard banner. I used plasticard, very thin, less than 1mm, cut in the shape I was looking for. Then I heated up with a lighter and bented it like GRNDL said. Pens, tools help you to get the right shape. If something goes wrong you can always fix it with green stuff (like I did).

I made my warriors’ banner with green stuff, but it is pretty small, for larger stuff it’s better to use plasticard.

GRNDL, your second metod is very cool, I should try it.

Kera foehunter:

thanks !! all im going to try this !! now there probably be a flood of banner on e-bay!! if i do great

if not there be on e-bay that says professional made banners he he

thanks

kera

GRNDL:

The suggestion to use plasticine was probably a little off base - you need something with temperature resistance - hard epoxy putty, wood, clay or plaster. But basically you mold a form out of it, let it cure and then heat the plasticard.  If you’re using a hair dryer, you’ll want under 0.5mm thickness - if you have a heat gun then it probably won’t matter.  If the plastic doesn’t go all floppy then you might have to coerce it into the recesses of the form.  Ultimately, you won’t get detail, but you will get a flowing shape.

Most people prefer to use pencils/dowels/paintbrushes to mess with the plasticard rather than using a form and get some nice results.

I found this tutorial elsewhere on the net:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/go.php/go/articlephp/aid/251?

Grimstonefire:

Two things I would suggest; avoid sculpting banners in greenstuff, never use the round end of a paintbrush to create folds on heated plasticard.  If it’s plastic it sticks, if it’s painted wood the paint comes off.

If you’re doing banners with really big waves in them it can be hard to get it looking good with greenstuff.  Much easier to use an existing plastic one.  The warriors of chaos banners are quite thin, so you could use a couple of those.

Do you want it ripped on the bottom, or perfect looking?  I can never decide which the CD would use, ripped or perfect.  Ripped is more chaotic, but perfect is more Dwarfs…

Border Reiver:

I see the Dawi Zharr as having perfect banners - they still retain much of their dwarf outlook afterall. But in general I see them with icons like the top of the Bull Centaur banner - don’t know why, but I do.

Kera foehunter:

i’m playing around now !! but i working with paper

but i kinda like the plastic and heating up and stretching it

i have some cool looks

GRNDL:

There’s some other alternatives: beer/soda cans, tin foil, etc.

apocalypstia:

For some of my banners i used a heavy tin foil sandwiched inbetween 2 peices of light fabric - muslin i think i used and a flexible glue (goop/liquid nails) but i may have used just elmers white. Siccors can then be used for general shaping, then bending, crinkling and folding as desired.

One benefit, depending on your painting style, this would allow you to paint/draw/scribe on the the flat banner then bend/fold the design with care into the shape you want - saving you from having to paint an image over some complex folds. Just one of many ideas… have funs

u could even try with paper - all depends on the overall look you want to acheive. good luck.

Patsy02:

You could also try using the tin from a tin can. Easy to shape, and solid. You’d have to cover the edges with PVA glue or GS to prevent getting cut though.

Nicodemus:

I’ve used the material from an old empty toothpaste tube before. Once it’s washed and clean you can get it to take on a shape fairly easily. Like a lot of other materials though it will still be a little flexible when you’re done with it so it should be considered fragile :frowning:

~N

Kera foehunter:

wow those are some more cool idea