[Archive] BB Units and the Razor Standard

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Reading this description (P.175 of 8th Rule Book) leads be to believe that this would allow the Blunderbuss unit (Can carry a magical Standard worth up to 50 Points) to become Armor Piercing.

Hashut’s Blessing:

The unit gains Armour Piercing, not specific weapons, so any attacks made by them (a Sorcerer in the unit’s magical attacks?) gain Armour Piercing.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Excellent! This is what my BB’s have been struggling against for a long time. (In 7th anyway)

You fire a Stength 5 hit into an enemy unit, hitting 15 models and after the rolls, you only kill 2 guys.

With a Strength 5 hit and Armor Pierce, the odds increase dramatically! :smiley:

(Got to LOVE 8th ed!)

Nicodemus:

Excellent! This is what my BB's have been struggling against for a long time. (In 7th anyway)

You fire a Stength 5 hit into an enemy unit, hitting 15 models and after the rolls, you only kill 2 guys.

With a Strength 5 hit and Armor Pierce, the odds increase dramatically! :D

Tarrakk Blackhand
Yes, and don't forget that the Blunderbusses firing at S4 they give a -1 armour save and if they're at S5 due to 3+ full ranks then they inflict a -2 armour save... with the Razor Standard this becomes -3 for S5 shooting, and they'll still have the -1 armour save for close combat from the standard if they do get into it.

~N

Thommy H:

The Armour Piercing rule specifies that it applies to close combat attacks only. If the weapon has Armour Piercing then it works for close combat or shooting, as appropriate, but if the unit has it, it’s close combat only.

Sorry.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Dang, didn’t both to read the Armour Piercing rules, just checked the wording of the banner, lol. Thanks Thommy H!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well…that crushed my dream! :smiley:

Thanx for clearing that up Thommy!

Xander:

Thommy is quite right. This was one of the first things I checked.

This is the banner I like giving to my Immortals (CDs w/GWs) to make them a bit more unique from regular CDs w/GWs.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

And do you have better sucess with them?

Thommy H:

The Banner of Eternal Flame, however, can be used to give Blunderbusses Flaming Attacks when they shoot.

Fallen246:

The Banner of Eternal Flame, however, can be used to give Blunderbusses Flaming Attacks when they shoot.

Thommy H
*An image of handheld flamethrower CDs enters my mind*

Sounds like a conversion idea if I ever heard one...

Hashut’s Blessing:

Flaming attacks are a little more worth considering because of causing Fear in cavalry, but it doesn’t really affect shooting attacks in THAT regard :smiley: However, Treemen beware of Hobgoblins with a BSB and bows with this in (in a Horde): 30 flaming shots should put some hurt into it :smiley:

Thommy H:

And anything that Regenerates, of course. I think Flaming Attacks are well worth putting on your Blunderbusses.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I wasn’t doing an exhaustive list, just pointing out that Flaming Attacks cause Fear in cavalry now (and that it’s useless in that regard for shooting, but still affects Regeneration and Flammable targets, etc).

Nicodemus:

Ya, thanks Thommy H… shoot… missed that bit about close combat bit too… I thought it was something new in 8th ed that shooting got it.  

Hmmm, will need to double-check that we didn’t mis-represent the notes in the 8th ED RH update podcast… I think we might have :<br>
Correction

Well, Armour Piercing isn’t the right thing to call it then. In any event on p43 of the RBR it states that the Strength of the weapon modifies the armour save and the example they give is for a S4 Crossbow giving -1.  But it quite clearly seems to apply in the same way that AP works… so S5 BB with the Razor Standard would confer -3 to the armour save. If this is contradicted by something I’m missing by all means let me know!!

Thommy H:

No, the rule “Armour Piercing”, as described in the Special Rules section (which is what Razor Standard grants) specifically only applies to close combat attacks. If a missile weapon has it, then it’ll work on ranged attacks too, but Razor Standard doesn’t make the unit’s weapons Armour Piercing - it just gives the unit the Special Rule. Ergo, it doesn’t apply to shots from the blunderbuss.

Nicodemus:

No, the rule "Armour Piercing", as described in the Special Rules section (which is what Razor Standard grants) specifically only applies to close combat attacks. If a missile weapon has it, then it'll work on ranged attacks too, but Razor Standard doesn't make the unit's weapons Armour Piercing - it just gives the unit the Special Rule. Ergo, it doesn't apply to shots from the blunderbuss.

Thommy H
OK, got it... makes much more sense now. I missed the standard applying to the unit, and the the extra note in the Armour Piercing special rule... which although it says its for close combat will apply to missile weapons, but only if that weapon specifically has AP... .

Thanks for the clarification!! That's obviously very important ;) esp. for opponents :P

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Uhhh…didn’t think about it at the time, but “Razor” Standard - A Razor would apply to a hand weapon - I.E. Being Razor Sharp.

Thommy H:

Well, I don’t really think that’s the reason it only applies to close combat attacks - “Razor” could also refer to razor sharp shards of metal in a blunderbuss, or razor sharp arrows.

But, Armour Piercing, by default, only applies to close combat. I would assume this limitation was imposed to prevent it being abused with particularly powerful ranged weapons, or stacking with black powder weapons.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Put simply: doing what we were thinking of, lol :smiley: ^^