[Archive] BC on which bases?

nitroglysarine:

As the new Bull Centaur models (from bits being spoken around on this and other forums) are going to be on square 40mm bases, should some of us be considering switching from the 20x40mm bases we have already used for older or converted models?

I’m asking as I am almost done with sculpting mine and it would be far easier to do it now than later.

As a point TommyH’s rules already have them on 40mm bases, and I had considered doing this earlier, I’m just wondering if anyone else was thinking the same?

cornixt:

I’d wait a bit longer, it’s even possible that they go for some new size

Thorne:

You could in theory do both. As you are well aware mantics dwarves come with round bases moulded onto feet ect ect to slot them into the square base. What a possibility could be would be to create a 20x40 onto a 40x40 base and then model lava flagstones ect on top say and when and if the models require a 40x40 base they could slot right in the top allowing you greater flexibility and maybe even grander stature for your bulls ?

nitroglysarine:

Thorne, that ain’t half a good idea,

but i think i’ve made a bo-bo. The normal cavalry bases are 25X50mm aren’t they? So a cool model base to enlarge them wouldn’t work?

tackaberry:

They might be on monstrous bases, when FW re-does them.

nitroglysarine:

Indeed, I see it as:-

40x40mm as likely

50x50mm as possible

25x50mm as unlikely

but who knows, they might do some unexpected.

cornixt:

GW’s cavalry bases aren’t even 25mm wide, they became more like 23mm in the 90s for some reason.

snowblizz:

GW's cavalry bases aren't even 25mm wide, they became more like 23mm in the 90s for some reason.

cornixt
Depends on which you use.

The non-slotta version is closer to "true" 25mm, but the slotta version is 22-23mm. GW suck at making bases I guess. Or they decided to save a few pence by sneakily steal a few mm:s of every base.

Might even vary over runs. They seem a bit prone to warping.

Thorne:

they became more like 23mm in the 90s because they had released those plastic movement trays that oddly didn’t sell too well but to compesate that they would have took up extra space on the battlefield if they hadnt shrunk the cavalry bases :smiley:

Time of Madness:

40x40mm as likely
50x50mm as possible
25x50mm as unlikely

nitroglysarine
I believe they will be on 40X40 bases, but we shall wait and see.
Time of Madness

snowblizz:

40x40mm as likely
50x50mm as possible
25x50mm as unlikely

nitroglysarine
I believe they will be on 40X40 bases, but we shall wait and see.
Time of Madness

Time of Madness
Of course the TK monstrous cavalry are on 50x100m bases (!!!) so, who knows...

Spikes:

At two wounds each I would be surprised to get anything over 40x40. But the Beastmen razorgor got 50x50 so who knows?

zhatan87:

But the Beastmen razorgor got 50x50 so who knows?
So are Great eagles or tomb scorpions, or juggernaut (even if they are monstruous cavalry though)
If they compare them with dragon ogre, they will be on 40*40.
But if they are like other monstruous beasts, 50*50 squares.
I hope they will be on 50*50, it will help much better old CD players, cause it will be very easy to put old BC on 50*50 without removing the 25*50 mm square.

nitroglysarine:

zhatan87
....I hope they will be on 50*50, it will help much better old CD players, cause it will be very easy to put old BC on 50*50 without removing the 25*50 mm square.
Agreed, but I fear there will look odd on a battle field, lots of air around them?

snowblizz:

But the Beastmen razorgor got 50x50 so who knows?
So are Great eagles

zhatan87
Great Eagles also come on 40x40, or did at any rate. That's what all of mine are on. I guess one explanation is that the 50x50 probably didn't fit into the blisters, I obviously do not have any of the new Direct Only eagles. Ork Kans and Dreads eg used to come with 40mm rounds because the 60mm round couldn't fit into blisters.

furrie:

I will keep using the 25X50 bases, as that are the ones they came with

zhatan87:

Agreed, but I fear there will look odd on a battle field, lots of air around them?
No, mine are painted with black on the sides. So I will make 50*50 base, empty where I will stick the old base (with patafix in the center), and the same choice of scenery base around.
Hope I'm clear...
It's just an idea of re-using old BC with the new list. Of course, old BC are rather small on 50*50 mm... But I think many players would not like to never play again their old BC... (except with the RH list)
Great Eagles also come on 40x40, or did at any rate.
In France, we have this sheet :
base sheet reference
Great eagles (grand aigle) are on 50*50...

Spikes:

Here in Canada the Juggernauts are on 40x40mm. It also means that it is not optimal to place a jugger-hero in your bloodletters in 8th ed.