[Archive] Ben Curry on Chaos Dwarfs (w/ his list)

Discoking:

Here’s the link :hat off

Daily Episode 25 – What Would Curry Do – Chaos Dwarfs – The Bad Dice Podcast

An interesting take. Not 100% solid;

but kudos to him for trying something different.

deadlydeceiver:

Yeah Double-Tau’ruk!

His first Taur’ruk-Setup is the one I thought of too ^^

DD

Mad Dave:

Not bad podcast interesting ideas, ive tryed simlar setup with my renders + Taur’ruk which worked well.

Da Crusha:

cool idea. I never thought about going in that direction but sounds pretty good.

tvandyke:

Interesting.  Unfortunately, I don’t have enough games in to make much of  a determination yet.  I used the Taur’ruk at the SAWS Challenge.  He was supposed to lead my unit of 5 Bull Centaurs.  My thought was that the unit let by a Taur’ruk would be hard hitting and hold a flank on their own.  However, I didn’t have any chaff in my army at all (no Wolf Raiders, Khans or Hobgoblin infantry), so I was constantly having my Taur’ruk leave the unit to deal with all the things that a unit of Wolf Raiders or lone Khan on Wolf could have handled for half the cost.  For the QCR, I’ve dumped the Khan and replaced it with a Khan on Wolf and Wolf Raiders.  We’ll see how that works out.  I think Ben’s army would be better if he somehow added a Khan, Wolf Raiders or both.

thomasthefinch:

I don’t think there is enough THINGS in the army.

Discoking:

Yeah, 5 drops isn’t great. I have responded to him on the bad dice forums:

http://baddice.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1441&sid=95ba54a31803db41643aebf6cb8e1871

I suggested 6 Fireborn & 4 BC, & drop the 2nd BC Hero.

Or add a second unit if BC instead of the 2nd hero.

2 Khans would be ideal too. I believe he’s yet to play this list.

We’ll see how he gets on!

nilbog:

Well, he’s a good player and he’s got some ideas for how to make the list work. By the sound of it he’s decided where he’s going to deploy things anyway, so the small number of drops might not bother him.

Saying that, one of the taar’uk’s could be replaced by a small unit of bull centaurs, seeing as they aren’t joining the bull centaur unit.

MLP:

Could someone summarise this please? I can see the army list but that’s it, I can’t access it due to my thrice cursed work internet filter.

Interesting list though, although I can’t help thinking he’d be better with 30 blunderbusses rather than the two units of fireglaives.

Da Crusha:

Could someone summarise this please? I can see the army list but that's it, I can't access it due to my thrice cursed work internet filter.

Interesting list though, although I can't help thinking he'd be better with 30 blunderbusses rather than the two units of fireglaives.

MLP
He pretty much says he is going to deploy the infernal guard and Bull centaurs on center, the Bale Taurus and a tuaruk on one flank and the destoyer and the other tauruk on the other. he will attack together on each flank and have them close in, in classic pincher strategy. the infernal guard have fireglaives so they can participate in the battle since he doesnt believe they are fast enough to use great weapons. the bull centaur unit will stay back with the Infernal guard units to utilize the BSB.

he chose death magic to doom and darkness units since he has 2 terror causers. he also like the sniping and purple sun since his sorcerer will likely be on a flank. I think he needs a potion of speed if he is planning on doing that, as insurance.

MLP:

Cheers, I can’t see that list working against all comers though. There’s a lot of things that could just bog them down or counter them. I suppose he’s probably going for points denial tactics.

zhatan87:

Playing the tauruk alone, without any ward save, is very surprising…

Maybe it can work. But a good player will shoot at the bale taurus with its warmachine, and redirect the destroyer…

Needs some tests…

Ben Curry:

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I only just found this and thought it would be a great place to discuss my list.

As I said on the episode I plan to run the 2 big boys but after recent Dragon experiences I’m not so sure any more.

I want to keep the Centaurs and Double Tarruk but everything else is open to development.

I have still played no games and probably won’t until the end of the year but I am painting the army and doing plenty of list theory.

nilbog:

I’ve taken the liberty of copying your army list and posting it in the army list forum, the list can be found here.

frogbear:

I am still pretty new to the current WHFB and CD as well, so please excuse me if I am missing something here.

It was mentioned that it was risky for the Sorcerer-Prophet to be on the Bale Taurus and then there was talk of Death magic and the Purple Sun. Is there not a concern regarding total power and nothing to protect the Sorcerer-Prophet in any way from dying?

Discoking:

It depends what you want to do, Ben.

If you want a different & more fighty list (as mentioned in your podcast…

I guess:

Destroyer, Iron Daemon (hellbound), 2 units of Glaives for the flanks and a bigger unit of vanilla infernals to hold the lvl 4/bsb.

If you want a more shooty list, there’s plenty of examples in the army list section.

However I know you like the idea of double BC Heroes…

So for more shooting may require dropping the “weaker” one.

Annoyingly for fightier lists a lot of the strengths of the CD’s, (I think) comes from a combination of the excellent war machines templating doom, with our units mopping up.

I hope this helps!

Ben Curry:

I've taken the liberty of copying your army list and posting it in the army list forum, the list can be found here.

nilbog
I'll carry on the discussion in there,

Thanks