[Archive] Best rules for a CD Megadon Gun?

CheTralfara:

What do you guys think the best rules for this weapon would be?

I built this model BEFORE the new Indy GT list (with plans to make my own rules), and when the GT list came out, I was so excited because I saw the Daemoneater mount for Daemonsmith + the Hailfire gun…

Then I found out you can’t give a Daemonsmith a Hailfire gun… which blows, because that means a Daemoneater will never be able to have ANY kind of firepower… which is unfortunate and stunts creativity…

He’s supposed to siphon the daemon-chaos energy from the portal and blast it through the cannon…

Now I’m wondering if I should make my own rules…  Maybe use it as a Steam Tank… or what?

I also considered changing the cannon to some kind of short ranged weapon that would be able to use Chaos portal energy too… but I can’t think of anything that would mount properly in place of the cannon and work as a close-combat ONLY weapon…

CheTralfara:

OK I just though of 2 possible solutions…

A. replace cannon with the spinning barbed mace-balls that are on the ends of thick tubes/robo-wires (the hand-to-hand weapon that comes with the 40k Chaos Defiler kit)… and dangle the weapon just above and slightly in front of the megadon’s head… (it would spin and smash up any enemies in front with a whirlwind of death)…

B. place little tentacle-looking branches from the dryad kit inside the barrell of the cannon… this will create the effect of a close-range mutation sprayyy or magic effect… I can say that the cannon only mutates people with the rays/magic in close combat/impact…

which do you think would look better?

Border Reiver:

If you use the Indy list I have one word for you my UN friend - Kolossus.

a. The howdah may be able to hold the 10 warriors;

b. That looks like it should cause terror/impact hits;

c. The cannon is perfect for the daemonphelgm;

d. It is suitably imposing for the High Priest or Overlord to use as personal transportation.

Nicodemus:

CheTralfara
This thing just plain kicks @$$... sorry, treading a fine line there with expletives in the forum, but I think this is great!! Nice combination of bits and drips with daemon-themed Dawi Zharr goodness!!

This is a little off-topic for the rules/advice forum... but maybe the last thing it could use is something that either draws attention to the CD piloting the thing or some iconography or a banner that shows clearly that it's a CD unit? Maybe that could also be achieved with painting.

And is there any chance we can get a run-down on the parts you used to create this? A number of the bits I'm not familiar with.

~N

CheTralfara:

It would be way too hard to fit 10 chaos dwarfs up there… but thanks for the idea! I was definitely thinking about it for a while.

So my friend suggested maybe tilting the cannon downward, so that it looks like it’s for close combat, but I think that would be kinda dumb lookin… What do you think?

So here’s a new question:

If I change the cannon to a totally new weapon (for close combat only), what kind of weapon could I replace it with??? It would need to utilize the portal behind the daemonsmith…

I’m thinking I may just have to use this guy in friendly games where the other player agrees to let the Daemonsmith carry a Hailfire Gun.

Another option friendly game option would be to ask the opponent to allow my Daemonsmith to use the Lizardman “Engine of the Gods” rules as his mount… which is what it’s based on anyway.

cornixt:

Seems like you could just use Hellcannon rules. Big scary monster and a cannon in one.

Gar Shadowfame:

In ingy ChD, Kollosus deamon tower.

Baggronor:

Dude, that model is pure, distilled awesome :o

I would agree a Hellcannon or Kollossus tower would be the best ‘counts as’ solution.

A. replace cannon with the spinning barbed mace-balls that are on the ends of thick tubes/robo-wires (the hand-to-hand weapon that comes with the 40k Chaos Defiler kit)… and dangle the weapon just above and slightly in front of the megadon’s head… (it would spin and smash up any enemies in front with a whirlwind of death)…

B. place little tentacle-looking branches from the dryad kit inside the barrell of the cannon… this will create the effect of a close-range mutation sprayyy or magic effect… I can say that the cannon only mutates people with the rays/magic in close combat/impact…

which do you think would look better?
I think it looks too cool to mess about with. Is the cannon fixed on? Any possibility of having multiple options? Maybe the cannon if you use it as a Hellcannon, a fire-thrower thing if you don’t? I do think its perfect as it is though.
So my friend suggested maybe tilting the cannon downward, so that it looks like it’s for close combat, but I think that would be kinda dumb lookin… What do you think?
Nooooo, its fine as it is.

I have to ask, where did you get the skull from?

CheTralfara:

I will definitely give you guys a bitz rundown soon… The megadon’s skull comes from the Club in the Giant Kit… It comes with what appears to be a dragon skull.

Another great idea for the dragon skull in the giant kit, is that you can turn the High Elf Dragon into a 2-headed chaos dragon, by using half of the High Elf Dragon’s head combined with half of the skull (greenstuff them together, for a nurgly/torn-flesh effect), and do this for the 2 heads (since you have 2 skull halves and 2 high elf dragon head halves).

CheTralfara:

Only problem with using him as a Hellcannon is that I already have an extremely cool Hellcannon conversion in the works!

I was wondering how many of you guys would allow me to give 1 daemon eater a “Construct Weapon” (listed in the inferno golem rules), or even a Hailfire Gun to the Daemonsmith (one that is lost when the mount/megadon is destroyed)… If we were playing a casual friendly game.??

Zanko:

I would say if you make good and balanced rules for your own there will be no problem for using them in a friendly game!

For my own I would always allow new rules if these are associated with a cool/impressive model!

:hashut

dncswlf:

First of all this thing rocks… great job… don’t change a thing… you could certainly use the thing as a kolossus… whatever your couldn’t actually fit on the howdah could stream out of the portal! providing an unending supply of demented dawi-zharr! or if you were going deamon eater… just add some type of tentacles coming out of the cannon and it could grab soldiers in base to base contact with it and crash them/ throw them… toss them into the portal… something like that… or as has been said… just make it up… this game was originally based on allowing completely made up things and having all players agree on its use… or use it a time or two… and tweak it… whatever… either way this thing has GOT to see some table time! well done!