[Archive] Best setup for Bull centaurs (indy gt list)

spiderman5z:

So I cant really decide how I want to equip my bull centaurs. Chaos armor for them is a no brainer for me. Even though it is quite pricey. Having a total AS of 3+ is pretty good for something as expensive as BC. Now I dont know if i want to go full out heavy cav and give them shields for the 2+ save and a 6+ parry, or go with great weapons so I can really fuck shit up, but the ASL and all the attacks back are a bit… disconcerting. The third option of 2 HW is pretty nice too. Only 5 BCs can dish out 15 S4 attacks. So yeah, I can’t decide. What do other people run on their BCs?

nitroglysarine:

I rather like 2HW, and thats what one of units is equipped with for now. I’m not sure though, the new rules with the shield are rather nice tbh.

I feel you quandary.

Da Crusha:

I gave a try with RH bull centaurs using cdofaq. one unit of 6 with great weapons and one unit of 6 with add’l hand weapons. overall I was disappointed with the additional hand weapons because of the lower strength and then later combined the units and gave them all great weapons.

on the other hand bolg uses a strategy with the additional hand weapon ones where he would charge a flank and then cast okkams mindrazor on them, very nasty.

Redhammer:

The ASL isn’t a big deal for me since my main for is high elves, but because it us an army if T3 I go for the extra attacks. I’d say the best setup for bull centaurs is dependant on the rest of your list/your main foes. If you have a level 4 shadow wizard, I’d certainly go additional hand weapon for the nasty mindrazor 15 attack combo. If you’re fighting something like bretonnia or regular dwarfs, I think the GWs would help crack open some of that armor nicely, although you’re likely to lose some BC in the process.

One thing I do think is slightly more universal is to not use command on the unit. I also see people tend to use bull centaur in small groups, although that could just be for modelling reasons. Anyone try a big unit of bull centaur? I think Crusha’s unit of 12 is the biggest I’ve heard of. I personally would love to try a big block of GW bull centaur someday.

Da Crusha:

I do it because 6 are just too fragile. they would take a round of bow fire and Id be left with 2 or 3 guys left. also in 8th ed charging doesnt allow you to strike first so with small units of bcs they are likely to get severely damaged before even getting to strike. big units allows my guys to hit with the punch they are intended to deliver.

Redhammer:

Makes sense. Since I’m going to be facing RBTs, I probably should look into bulking up my bull centaur units!

spiderman5z:

hmmm i guess ill just have to run a couple of games with some armless bull centaur and figure out which setup works best before modelling them

Da Crusha:

well what I did is model 6 of each and keep the appropriate ones in the front.

Loki:

I field mine in a unit of 10 with full command and a hero with tooled up and the rest with 2 hand weapons for max damage , if the unit you going after is a little hard weaken them with earth shakers first and you will be fine with the lower strenght attacks

Unzul:

mmm

also depends on what you want to deal with

I like chaos armour and GH and shield… you have a unit very strong to kill and you cuold kill all the enemy with the great weapons…

Da Crusha:

Im going to give my 12 with full command and Great Weapons a try on sunday against deamons. Ill tell you guys how it goes.

Da Crusha:

well, I used them to guard my earthshakers and deathrocket today. they took care of some seekers of slaanesh but not before taking 3 casualties. If I only had a unit of 6 I would’ve only have had 3 guys left to attack back.

nitroglysarine:

i have 2 units of 8 on the go, but when I get the spare models, they will become units of 9 an 10 (one less in one for a hero/general)