[Archive] Best Strategy for Beginners?

Blackorc72:

Hi, as someone who is looking to get into chaos dwarfs, I was wondering, is there any best strategy for a beginner? Should I go for blocky units of warriors and annihilators? Should I grab a lot of artillery and blast the enemy away? Should I have some kick-ass lords and heroes to lead my army to victory? I’d love to hear peoples’ opinions, and thanks in advance! :hat off

Baggronor:

What is your gaming environment like? Are your friends competitive players or fluffy narrative fans? What models do you like?

If you want competitive, I’d recommend 2 blocks of 24-ish Infernal Guard (great weapons are best imo), a couple of wizards, a BSB, 2 Khans on wolves, a Destroyer, a Hellcannon and some Magma Cannons/Deathshriekers, maybe an Iron Daemon.

That’s what I find works; doesn’t mean its what you should go for though - that’s up to you :slight_smile:

Blackorc72:

What is your gaming environment like? Are your friends competitive players or fluffy narrative fans? What models do you like?

If you want competitive, I'd recommend 2 blocks of 24-ish Infernal Guard (great weapons are best imo), a couple of wizards, a BSB, 2 Khans on wolves, a Destroyer, a Hellcannon and some Magma Cannons/Deathshriekers, maybe an Iron Daemon.

That's what I find works; doesn't mean its what you should go for though - that's up to you :)

Baggronor
Thanks! My friend and I are very casual players, so I'm looking for an army that will take skill to use, but can still do very well in battle. I think I'll start with picking up some units and a couple artillery and see how that goes.

Chico:

Best bet is proxy a few units to get a feel for eveything does, my advice on top of that would be to take at least 40 Infernal Guard (I like one big horde)

Xx9millxX:

I’m in the same boat as u blackorc… I’ve done a lot of research however as to how each unit works ( I’ve also played a little bit about 10 yrs ago) so I have a bit of an idea how to play … Iron demons and destroyers seem pretty complicated and a lot of people who play against chaos dwarf seem to hate on the destroyer because he’s to good so it’s unfair . I’m going with a prophet on foot , daemonsmith,bsb and taur’ruk . 3 blocks of IG ( 18 with fireglaives, 24 with hw and shield, and I think 16 with gw). Also got 1 rocket, 1 magma cannon, and 3 bull centaurs … And for my rare got a hell cannon and 10 goblin wolf raiders …about 2500 points… I got a lil bit of basic warriors , lil bit of ranged weaponry, some Calvary and lil bit of magic. Simple but effective. Not anything to crazy. I don’t have a games workshop anywhere close but there’s a small hobby shop starting a fantasy league around Xmas so I’m looking forward to trying it out .

Blackorc72:

I'm in the same boat as u blackorc.. I've done a lot of research however as to how each unit works ( I've also played a little bit about 10 yrs ago) so I have a bit of an idea how to play .. Iron demons and destroyers seem pretty complicated and a lot of people who play against chaos dwarf seem to hate on the destroyer because he's to good so it's unfair . I'm going with a prophet on foot , daemonsmith,bsb and taur'ruk . 3 blocks of IG ( 18 with fireglaives, 24 with hw and shield, and I think 16 with gw). Also got 1 rocket, 1 magma cannon, and 3 bull centaurs .. And for my rare got a hell cannon and 10 goblin wolf raiders ..about 2500 points.. I got a lil bit of basic warriors , lil bit of ranged weaponry, some Calvary and lil bit of magic. Simple but effective. Not anything to crazy. I don't have a games workshop anywhere close but there's a small hobby shop starting a fantasy league around Xmas so I'm looking forward to trying it out .

Xx9millxX
Cool! Thank you very much! That gives me a great basis of things to get (and not to get haha).

Xx9millxX:

If your any good at modelin converting then by all means take a destroyer … Cuz they do seem like a great addition … I’m just no good a modeling and I wanted to stick to something more basic and simple to learn the rules and game better… after a few games I suppose I’ll learn my strong and weak points in my army and adjust it accordingly… But that’s just my starter list for now

Vogon:

The other question is of course what size games are you and your friend planning on. Like your questions about the Lammasu you�?Tre not going to fit a K�?TDaai Destroyer in below 1500 and even then it�?Ts going to dominate your game and strategy.

In smaller games, 1000points, a good solid core of IG is where it�?Ts at. I personally have had good success with a block of 20 Hand Weapon and Shield and 1 or 2 units of 10 Fireglaves.

You also won�?Tt go far wrong with a Magma Cannon. I prefer them to the Deathshrieker Rocket as I find them easier to hit your target with but whichever you decide on you should have a Daemonsmith to babysit so they can re-roll the scatter/artillery dice if needed, and I never leave home without Bull Centaurs.

Bigger games obviously give you more scope to play with 1500points will unlock the Sorcerer Prophet and therefore the lore of Hashut which is pretty nifty and has good synergy with the rest of the list.

In general the Chaos Dwarf list in the Tamurkhan book is pretty good. Yes there are a few things that could do with a tweak to make them more balanced but it�?Ts a decent list that gives a decent number of tactical alternatives.

Hope you have fun with your new army

Cheers

Vogon

Bloodbeard:

Here’s a link to my first battle with Chaos Dwarfs. Fought with this 1000p army.

The hellcannon might actually be to expensive. Bring a magma cannon instead.

Even with 1000 points you can bring some good strong core, 2 heroes, a warmachine and a shooting detachment.

Being an infantry man myself I like more than one unit on the field.

Playing in a cassual enviroment is great. Use your warmachine as a proxy for different things, so you try out what works for you.

Blackorc72:

The other question is of course what size games are you and your friend planning on.  Like your questions about the Lammasu you�?Tre not going to fit a K�?TDaai Destroyer in below 1500 and even then it�?Ts going to dominate your game and strategy.

In smaller games, 1000points, a good solid core of IG is where it�?Ts at.  I personally have had good success with a block of 20 Hand Weapon and Shield and 1 or 2 units of 10 Fireglaves.  

Vogon
Thank you! We usually play around 1000 points so that gives me a great base of what to get!

Blackorc72:

Here's a link to my first battle with Chaos Dwarfs. Fought with this 1000p army.

The hellcannon might actually be to expensive. Bring a magma cannon instead.

Even with 1000 points you can bring some good strong core, 2 heroes, a warmachine and a shooting detachment.

Being an infantry man myself I like more than one unit on the field.

Playing in a cassual enviroment is great. Use your warmachine as a proxy for different things, so you try out what works for you.

Bloodbeard
Oooh, looking forward to reading that! Thanks for the link!