[Archive] Bloodbeards fantasy blog!

Fuggit Khan:

Fountain is made from a soap bubble flask shaped as an ice cream cone.

Bloodbeard
You my friend are the undisputed Lord of Household Scrap Salvaging.
A very nice update, great projects as always from you.
:hat off

Admiral:

It’s an old trick. Some scattered light flecks of grey-green-brown in the basecoat (perhaps painted like mildew dripping down along running water paths on the stone) is great for breaking up a deadpan grey and make the stone livelier. It gives an impression of a touch of moss and other minor organic growths, as opposed to an unnaturally sterile rock.

Do yourself a service and check out this tutorial. We should all strive for upping our A-game, so to speak. :wink:

TheHoodedMan:

Very good stuff. That reminds me of the Hobby Compendium GW published before they decided to sell a lot of overpriced Terrain pieces themselves.

I friend of mine once had the idea to paint some of the stones in other shades of grey (;P) or even in brown or blue to give a little Variation. You could also apply some moss or probably better snow effekt on some places.

Admiral:

Good tip, Hood! Like in these examples.

Bloodbeard:

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I actually saw an example of the “pre highlighting” i think it was called on BoW. When painting tanks then gave some white spray on high areas, then black spray on the low areas. Then then primed the tank in a coat of green.

I’ll do the same now Admral, hadn’t thought about it. Will give a quick drybrush black, green and brown in certain areas - before drybrushing grey on top of that.

And then I’ll make certain stones stand out with a light highlighting drybrush near to white grey. Will also be doing this to doorways and windows, the steps on the stairs - to make them pop.

Above all I really want to save time on a project like this - speed is the key when painting this stuff.

i will of cause the adding lots of snow to all Frostgrave terrain.

Admiral:

Neat! Besides, shadow grey/fenris grey/whatever the darker blue-grey colour is called nowadays, will make for a nice and quick contrast to the ordinary grey. Just paint a few scattered stones in that colour before pre-highlighting and carrying on. Likewise, reddish brown/ochre/terracotta can be used in the same manner. Painting stonework is quick work, even when you make it a bit more advanced, since it’s all bound together by the finishing washes and drybrushed highlights.

Bloodbeard:

Again: Thansk for the nice suggestions gents. Really great and will help my tower look better when painted up.

Allmost finished - just needs a destroyed roof

The tower itself is complete. I still need to build a pointy roof, destroyed in some parts to allow miniature movement on the upper floor.

Also need to add a bridge to a small tower/stairs from the second storey doorway. The tower needs some more acces points.

Really pleased with the floors in the tower. The wooden floorboards and trapdoor are simply drawn/pushed into the foamboard with a pencil and black pen.

I’ve managed to win a Simca Falcon Castle of ebay. This is a massive thing. Build in a rectangle it measures 70cm x 50 cm. And the size of battlements etc is perfect for 28mm figures.

Got it for 30£ incl shipping. A nice deal (was just on sale for 15£ at some english store, but the wouldn’t ship to DK and after Beast of War showed it off - it sold out quickly).

I’m real happy with the prize, this thing is gonna save me a ton of work in building a good Felstad for Frostgrave.

Until next time!

Bloodbeard:

Frostgrave Warband Done

Finished up my first warband for Frostgrave. This was a pleasent painting experience. It was very nice to paint different miniatures and use lots of different colours.

Bases are homemade. Painted grey, drybrushed another grey. Snow is GW snowflock with superglue, double layers, Blood is GWs Blood Technical (I love that stuff). The ice crystals are silicone crystals for the cats litter box - very nice.

Thief, Crossbowman and Captain.

Apprentice, Infantryman and Thug.

Captain, Wizard, War Hound and Snow Gorilla (count as bear until I get one).

Bloodbeard:

Medium Constructs

Bought some extra chaos warriors for Hero Quest a long time ago. Now they’ll be used as medium constructs. Will paint them as stone. For the Frostgrave scenario “the living museum”. The blue pillars are from Mantics Loka pieces.

Imp

Put together an imp from a GW gnoblar and ungor head. Imps are the smallest demons and can be summoned like crazy. Planned to make more, but I found some cool 80’s metal chaos familiars for that.

Skellies

This is gonna be a bit of a test. I’m currently painting everything with The Armypainter Method. Base colours and then quick shade varnish.

So with these Dungeon Saga and Hero Quest skeletons I’ll paint the details, leave the bones plastic and see what the quick shade will do to it.

As the Hero Quest miniatures a fitted to the bases, I made some tilework with thin plastic card. Looks good I think.

TheHoodedMan:

Seems you are really productive these times, Bloodbeard :cheers.

Nice to see your frostgrave game growing. The Heroquest Minis may fit well as statues despite I found that they lack some detail (as was normal at time of that release).

The tower looks grea!

Bloodbeard:

Seems you are really productive these times, Bloodbeard :cheers.
Nice to see your frostgrave game growing. The Heroquest Minis may fit well as statues despite I found that they lack some detail (as was normal at time of that release).
The tower looks grea!

TheHoodedMan
Thanks Hood. I try to paint at least 30 minutes every day. It's kindda like fitness training, when you're on a roll it easy to keep going.

So when the kids are put to bed, I try doing a bit of painting while watching some show with the missus.

I love the old Heroquest miniatures. I know they are monopose and little detailed, but I love them. My first experience with miniatures was with my fathers old Heroquest. Played those minis to death.

Painted some constructs and skellies
This work was done on one evening after the kids were put to bed. Gave them quickshade the following morning. The contrast on the skellies are better IRL.

No paint on the bone plastic areas, so saved some time on that.

Before quick shade

After quickshade - no antishine yet
The statue constructs need a quick drybrush with light grey, and some lichen effect.

Fuggit Khan:

Imps are the smallest demons and can be summoned like crazy. Planned to make more, but I found some cool 80's metal chaos familiars for that.

Bloodbeard
I love those old metal familiars! Such great models with so much flair, I used to buy blister packs of them and base them as swarms.
Your skellies are cool...did you tie string on the bows? Or is it wire?

Scar:

Cool stuff! And i love that treeman you did! :hat off

TheHoodedMan:

Excuse me to say that but Quick Shade on pure plastic: No way! :wink:

Please do that skellies and mummies again, they deserve it, will look much better :hat.

The constructs/warriors on the other side look already very good, well done! :cheers

Admiral:

Great warband! Looks like a tough bunch. May they bring back much loot and trophies for you in Frostgrave.

Bloodbeard:

Excuse me to say that but Quick Shade on pure plastic: No way! ;)
Please do that skellies and mummies again, they deserve it, will look much better :hat.
The constructs/warriors on the other side look already very good, well done! :cheers

TheHoodedMan
I'm not gonna spend time redoing anything. The pictures don't do the effect justice. I'm trying to get things done to a reasonable standard - and this is a reasonable standard. Will get ssome better pictures though.

But I get your point, I do.

Nearly done Silent Tower
My space ship project is going nicely and I've build most of the stuff I need. So it was okay for me to do something else. Nearly done with my ruined tower.

Ground floor, 1st, 2nd floor and loft. I've done the roof to resemble a wizards hat. Both for the cool look and because the rim is yet another place to skulk around, gain high ground etc.

Been trying to use some different techniques. Notice the cork bricks at the tree. Been seing this used for ruins, build like Legos. Makes for a fine effect.

The Simba Falcon castle has seen use now. Been used to quickly do the side tower and walkway. Easy enough to cut through, added insolation foam to the insides - for detail there.

The snowy pine tree and lampposts are all cheap as dirt from China. They will go onto all 1'x1' board. Will use Simba Castle bits on all boards as well. Help tie it all together nicely.

For 23 dollars that castle is a steal!

Let me know what yo think.

Other eleent plans
* large watermill, river board (will make the river, water running out of and into a small tunnel)

* small watermill board

* harbor with destroyed ship and frozen water (will be able to be anywhere except the middle of board)

* windmill board

* Fountain / market place board (fountain is done, will get some Admiral bits for market stands)

For all of the above I have mdf buildings (cheap, cool ones by Gary Robertson) and 3d puzzles (cheap from china) already in the mail.

I like the watermill and windmill idea. I think Wizards could use the energy for all kinds of projects. So a city run by wizards would definately have all kinds of gears, cogs, moving parts all over the place.

Other plans include:

* Mausoleum, graveyard board
* Bone Circle, witch, cultist place inside a large building.

I've been flipping through all scenarios for Frostgrave, so I've thought all official scenarios into my boards (underground ones being done on Dungeon Saga boards).

And I still have 1 board left to plan for a 3'x3' table. Dark Alchemy (next mini expansion) might change this.

Malorndk:

It’s looking really good mate!

dncswlf:

Wow! Some great stuff here! Love the wood elf tree An! Did that ever get finished?! The ruined tower is ace! Great work!

Bloodbeard:

@MallornDK: Thank you sir.

Wow! Some great stuff here! Love the wood elf tree An! Did that ever get finished?!  The ruined tower is ace! Great work!

dncswlf
The Treeman is early finished. Pretty much had all the base colours done - then he had a fight with a cat and a baby. Much like Groot he’ll grow back in time. … Just haven’t been a priority, since he doesn’t really fit in my gaming.

When doing a shaman/witch warband for Frostgrave he might become a large construct or large demon.

Thanks.

Painting started

My youngest and I are home alone (wife coming home late). He just want to hang out near me and watch teletubbies - and I better shut up. So making a small update.

Last picture before finishing it. Looking forward to adding snow. It’ll do wonders breaking up the grey areas.

Will also add lichen green run off belpw windows and some red rust weathering powder.

Yellow light in the lampposts and a weathered banner atop the pole.

I hope I’ll be enough.

Otherwise I might add some Ivy on som wall areas. Ordered some cheap chinese terraium miniature ivy.

I’m very happy with the Verdigris colour on the roof.

Awesome bits

A guy on Powerfist.dk was selling a bunch of stuff. Without knowing what was in the pile, I bought 6 kg of terrain bits. Got it for 40 eur incl shipping. Very nice deal. Spend some time sorting out the stuff.

The guy is a 40k player. The grey pile is all stuff useable for dungeons and frostgrave. It’s from some 40k building, but these elements will all fit well into a gothic town. Will use it to upgrave mdf buildings and to get cool windows into simba falcon castle walls.

The box is fulll with sci-fi elements. I’ll use it to spike up all the Battlezone stuff I have coming from Deadzone Kickstarter.

And the yellow bits in the lower corner is mordern stuff. Dumpsters, tables, cash registers, kitchen sink, mail box. Will use that for scatter terrain in The Walking Dead game.

Fuggit Khan:

The Treeman is early finished. Pretty much had all the base colours done - then he had a fight with a cat and a baby.

Bloodbeard
My Iron Daemon lost a fight to a cat once :(
Curse you Mister Fluffy Paws :hashut

The tower looks great...I like your idea of possibly adding some vines. Have you considered painting some moss?