[Archive] Blunderbuss Question

Golder Goldeater:

Let’s say that a DE black guard unit charges a unit of blunderbusses head on.

The BBs make a stand and shoot reaction killing 11 elves. Will these kills count to the combat resolution?

Thanks in advance.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Take a quick look at the stand & shoot rules and it says that kills from stand & shoot do not count towards combat resolution (pg 52 of the minibook - combat resolution under +1/wound “wounds caused IN combat”, emphasis mine). No reason the BB kills would be otherwise :wink:

Golder Goldeater:

Yeah… I just don’t have the 8th ed book so I couldn’t be sure! That means The BBs could still lose even if the kill that many elves?!:o

nitroglysarine:

“Quick shoot the tall ones and leg it!”

Tarrakk Blackhand:

On Dwarf legs? :smiley:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

nitroglysarine:

“Herrrrrrrrmmmmm…To the land train!?!”

Tarrakk Blackhand:

…listens for 1966 Batman “Whirling Bat Symbol” music.

Bassman:

Yeah... I just don't have the 8th ed book so I couldn't be sure! That means The BBs could still lose even if the kill that many elves?!:o

Golder Goldeater
If the Blunderbusses managed to kill all the elves or dramatically reduce their numbers... well they can win. Otherwise 90% of the times blunderbusses are doomed vs black guard.
Well, despite their T4 they are doomed against most of the elite infantries in the game.... :(

Hashut’s Blessing:

As said - the BBs won’t aid the combat resolution, but they are still useful. If you knock down any in the second/front rank (after any other ranks are killed, that is), you have a few less attacks against you. If you managed to drop their rank bonus down, that’ll help you out as well. You may cause a panic test by killing 25+%. Even if you do lose and had managed to kill a few with S&S, then a couple in combat, you’ve still reduced their effectiveness and made it easier for someone else to make them bugger off :smiley:

Thommy H:

If stand and shoot casualties counted towards combat resolution, missile troops would be the most elite and versatile units in the game. You can’t have it both ways.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thommy H: Completely true. I have no problem with it being that way to be honest. The fact that they get to kill a few on the way in and possibly even make the enemy run away before they even go blade-to-blade is pretty decent, without it counting towards combat resolution!

nitroglysarine:

If stand and shoot casualties counted towards combat resolution, missile troops would be the most elite and versatile units in the game. You can't have it both ways.

Thommy H
Quite true, whittling down the numbers for outnumbering and possibly knocking off a rank bonus (or two) is certainly useful enough, they would be sick if it counted for the combat to.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

There seems to be only two ways (Unless it’s a special scenario) to eliminate any unit in the game and count their loss as “Victory Points”.

1.) Destroy the unit entirely

2.) Force the unit to flee from the table

If your BB unit can sucessfully do this, then YES, it will count for Victory Points. - Just hope you roll all 6’s and your opponient rolls 1’s. :smiley:

There’s only really four ways to destroy a unit with BB’s.

1.) Move your unit their 3"es and fire the BB’s into the enemy 12" away

2.) When that enemy unit charges into the BB’s next turn, wipe out more of them with Stand and Shoot

3.) Beat them down in Close Combat until they have to take a break test (and hopefully flee)

4.) Manage to overrun them in the “Flee and Pursuit” phase

*.) If you Fail the Flee and Pursue phase, try and fire the BB’s (or another unit of BB’s that were in range, but not in the initial combat) into their fleeing unit as that unit is running (further) away.

Thommy H:

Why are we talking about victory points?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

You’re right…should be “Combat Resolution”! am I really playing with my head in the clouds?

Hashut’s Blessing:

nitro: outnumbering doesn’t exist any more. Well, not as a combat resolution rule. If you have more ranks than the enemy, you become Stubborn (get Steadfast).

nitroglysarine:

nitro: outnumbering doesn't exist any more. Well, not as a combat resolution rule. If you have more ranks than the enemy, you become Stubborn (get Steadfast).

Hashut's Blessing
*proof i'm out of touch with 8th ed*
So if you have more ranks but are the looser of the combat you get to roll against your base leadership? If so that's an intelligent alteration!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Don’t worry, it’s something that takes a little getting used to. Also, if you read my posts, I’m clearly not all there myself, lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yep. So, BBs may help to whittle their ranks down enough to give you Steadfast instead of them or simply stop them from having it.

nitroglysarine:

Cool, still a worthy bonus to stand and shoot!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Precisely. Even though it doesn’t directly contribute to the combat resolution score, it’s certainly useful!