[Archive] Blunderbuss Stand and Shoot Question

Mosk:

So BB are +4 to hit in the ‘fire zone’. So when they are charged, and one chooses to stand and shoot, do you have to do a +5 to hit because of the +1 to hit rule for standing and shooting?

Hashut’s Blessing:

No. They’re an exception to this rule. It is ALWAYS 4= to hit, no modifiers. The only times his is different is when they can shoot, can’t shoot through an object (like a hill) or there is a friendly model in the “template”.

Mosk:

Ok thank you This is how I thought it was. I was playing with a guy who has been to a ton of GT, but has never played against Chaos Dwarfs, and so of course we rolled off and he won. So I had to +5 to hit on all charges, and if any one knows about how my list is is it is all blunderbuss basically.

Alan the evil:

maybe this can help about BBs rules

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/10250

jolpis:

so if the charging unit is less than 12 away and everyone is within the “fire zone” before they start charging does everyone get hit?and can i shoot at someone engaged in combat(without any friendly unit in the zone

Alan the evil:

so if the charging unit is less than 12 away and everyone is within the "fire zone" before they start charging does everyone get hit?
yes
can i shoot at someone engaged in combat(without any friendly unit in the zone?
no

Baggronor:

Yep the fire zone is always the same size, 12" straight forward whenever they shoot, and everyone in it is hit on a 4+ regardless. Think of it as being like a blast template rather than a To Hit roll :slight_smile:

I long for the day when we will be allowed to fire even though we catch a few slaves in the blast zone :cheers

Hashut’s Blessing:

Unlucky about the tournament. You should have got a referee over because it clearly spcifies in the rules that it is ALWAYS 4+ to hit (as though each model is partially under a template). As for models charging you, you do the shot as soon as any models are under the eplate (if any are in 12", do it then, if none are, you move them so they are, then the front row only is hit). As forconbats without you in, that’s up to the referee because, the rulebook says shooting into combat isn’t allowed (it assumes this to be between your troops and theirs ya see), unless said otherwise (Skaven ruebook for example), but the BBs say as long as no friendly model is in the “template”.

Alan the evil:

About shoot in close combat:

Even in WoH #3 pag 36 it is written that BBs cannot shoot in close combat even if they don’t hit friend models.

Ok, WhO is not official source, but is pretty intuitive that saying

the rulebook says shooting into combat isn’t allowed (it assumes this to be between your troops and theirs ya see), unless said otherwise (Skaven ruebook for example)
doesn’t mean that BBs can because

the BBs rules say as long as no friendly model is in the “template”.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Alan, you seem to have contradicted yourself: if there is a situation were there is a combat without friendly models, it doesn’t count as a combat, basically (for the puroses of this), but it’s best that players agree first.

Mosk:

Unlucky about the tournament. You should have got a referee over because it clearly spcifies in the rules that it is ALWAYS 4+ to hit (as though each model is partially under a template). As for models charging you, you do the shot as soon as any models are under the eplate (if any are in 12", do it then, if none are, you move them so they are, then the front row only is hit). As forconbats without you in, that's up to the referee because, the rulebook says shooting into combat isn't allowed (it assumes this to be between your troops and theirs ya see), unless said otherwise (Skaven ruebook for example), but the BBs say as long as no friendly model is in the "template".

Hashut's Blessing
The game was not a tourny, just a friendly (kinda) game at a local game store.

spazfrag666:

this one came up in a tourney

can units shoot the turn they rally?

Thommy H:

Nope.

Unless they’re fast cavalry who used flee as a charge reaction the previous turn.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Interesting!

So if I’m playing my CD army againts 3 other players, and let’s say , Lizardmen and Tomb Kings are in close combat, I could walk in and fire on them all?

Would this also apply to Earth Shakers, Goblin Bolt Throwers, etc?

If this is a “Yes”, then I’m diging it!

Thommy H:

You generally can’t fire into combat because of the risk of hitting your own troops. Skaven are the exception. The rules of Warhammer assume two players so for games involving more you’d have to house rule a number of things.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Kool!

So technically, you can fire at troops that aren’t your own.

I can see a new house rule coming into play! :smiley:

Thommy H:

You can always fire at troops that aren’t your own…

It breaks down like this: the restriction on firing into combat is based on your troops being unwilling to potentially hit their comrades. If none of your own side are involved, it stands to reason that you can ignore this restriction. However, because the Warhammer rules assume two opposing armies, “a combat with none of your own side involved” is an oxymoron. A combat like that isn’t supposed to exist.

So, for games with multiple sides this is something you’d need to work out, as well as rules for deployment, magic and a whole bunch of other stuff. Battles like that can be fun, just remember that the rules don’t actually cover them.