[Archive] Border Town Burning (Mordheim) Black Dwarf warband

Ancre:

This is the beginning warband list I wrote to have a view of what I want to do for my conversions :

HEROES

1 sorcerer :s , 85 gold crowns

with a sword and a dagger, 11 gold crowns

I equipped him with a sword because I wanted a defensive equipment, as I don’t really want my pricey mage in combat and I figured I’d rather have a parry than any other special rule in case it happened.

1 bull centaur :hashut , 100 gold crowns

with two hammers, 6 gold crowns

Oh how I wish I could buy a halberd for him … :frowning:

1 gaoler :sick , 50 gold crowns

with a steel whip and a mace, 13 gold crowns

and a blunderbuss, 30 gold crowns

This I find to be an interesting combinaison, as it gives the gaoler 3 attacks. I gave him the blunderbuss too, but I could give it to the other  gaoler, or to a dwarf warrior ? I didn’t knew what was best so I settled on what I wanted to convert ( I have a model in mind for him).

1 gaoler :mask , 50 gold crowns

with a double-handed weapon, 15 gold crowns

I wanted to have something else than two maces for a change, and as M3 I2 creatures are likely to be charged and not likely to go first, the strike last special rule isn’t a huge problem.

HENCHMEN

1 informer (hobgoblin model) :h , 15 gold crowns

with a sling and a club, 5 gold crowns

1 informer (skaven model) :h , 15 gold crowns

1 informer (human model) :h , 15 gold crowns

1 informer (ungor model) :h , 15 gold crowns

1 chaos dwarf :hat , 40 gold crowns

with an axe and a shield, 10 gold crowns

This is just because I have a model equipped like this that looks cool.

TOTAL 490 gold crowns

9 models  

I have 10 crowns left and I figured I could just save them to get another chaos dwarf henchmen as soon as possible.

Voila ! I am not sure of the equipment of most of the heroes (and especially who should carry the blunderbuss, too ! ) and I could change things around a bit. Thank you for reading ! What do you think about it ?

(edit - added smilies ! )

cianty:

As I posted over at TBMF I’d max out the number of Chaos Dwarf henchmen so they don’t miss the early XP. With only 4 starting heroes you really need to get another promoted Henchman Hero.

By the way, I love the smiley you put in there! :hat off

Astranagant:

I can’t comment much, considering the following:

a) All warbands started with 600 gc

b) The Merchant Caravan and Black Dwarfs started with a free wagon

c) Armour is cheaper and better in my campaign, with dual-wielding henchmen at a -1 WS penalty

I only started with 2 CD henchmen, but Cianty’s right, ideally you’d want to get as many CDs as possible at the beginning; they’re rather expensive henchmen and will it will be difficult to add to your groups as a campaign progresses. Are you playing with BtB objectives? If not an Engine of Chaos isn’t essential, but I kind of figured a Gaoler + Mancatcher was pretty much a must-have for the Black Dwarf warband.

You might actually want to give your Sorcerer the blunderbuss, depending on what spell you roll. It’d give him something to do at least.

cianty:

Astranagant,

all warbands starting with 600gc? Why?

The free wagons for the Merchant and the Black Dwarfs is nice to promote the wagons. Did the Merchant start with 700gc then (he usually starts with 600gc already, ie. +100 to compensate for the mandatory trade wagon)? Considering the wagons is free in your campaign it makes sense to let them start at 600gc still.

Someone I noticed when reading your review of the warband list is that you didn’t mention slings for the Informers cough Hobgoblins cough. Slings are awesome weapons and a definate must-have for them.

I hope to read more about your BTB campaign in the next issue(s) of WoH and maybe on TBMF (I noticed you have signed up there already).

Astranagant:

Astranagant,

all warbands starting with 600gc? Why?

The free wagons for the Merchant and the Black Dwarfs is nice to promote the wagons. Did the Merchant start with 700gc then (he usually starts with 600gc already, ie. +100 to compensate for the mandatory trade wagon)? Considering the wagons is free in your campaign it makes sense to let them start at 600gc still.

Someone I noticed when reading your review of the warband list is that you didn't mention slings for the Informers *cough* Hobgoblins *cough*. Slings are awesome weapons and a definate must-have for them.

I hope to read more about your BTB campaign in the next issue(s) of WoH and maybe on TBMF (I noticed you have signed up there already).

cianty
600 gc because I wanted to promote WYSIWYG (a lot of the group's members have plater armour and the like), so I hoped that heavy armour would be purchased. The Merchant Caravan also started with 600 gc, due to the free wagon.

Honestly, I forgot about the slings, because I only converted up Hobgoblin archers. Though for the future I may make a group of slave slingers.

Ancre:

I rewrote the list, here is what it gives :

HEROES

1 sorcerer :s , 85 gold crowns

with a sword and a dagger, 10 gold crowns

1 bull centaur :hashut , 100 gold crowns

with two hammers, 6 gold crowns

1 gaoler :sick , 50 gold crowns

with a steel whip and a mace, 13 gold crowns

1 gaoler :mask , 50 gold crowns

with a double-handed weapon, 15 gold crowns

This one will have a mancatcher variant if I play with a wagon.

HENCHMEN

Chaos dwarf :hat , 40 gold crowns

Chaos Dwarf :hat off , 40 gold crowns

Informer :h , 15 gold crowns

Informer :idea , 15 gold crowns

Total of 499 gold crowns.

Still not enough henchmen, but it is limited by the figurines I have and what I want to put on the battlefield. So ideally the informers go on front as they’re the most expendable of all, and I more or less try to keep the chaos dwarves henchmen out of danger by mobbing up with the gaolers. The priest does not meet combat, ad the bull centaur either help dwarves in danger (with three club attacks ! ) or act offensively with the informers.

I have put the blunderbuss on the same guy, but even if I like the model, it might go on to someone else … I don’t know how to plan to use this thing, actually. I could put it on another chaos dwarf henchmen and throw the informers away, but then I will only have costly models and I risk losing much … Or I could just drop it and take a hobgob with bow and buy two more maces, or something, but I like the weapon.

cianty:

Nice.

Remember that with 9 models you will only rout after losing 3 models whereas with 8 models you have to start taking Rout tests with 2 models out of action. So it is well worth squeezing a ninth model (another informer) in. If you don’t want to lose any of the more expensive weapons (double handed weapon) for that, then you can just live with it and buy another warrior after game 1. But I would try to start with 9 models.

Ancre:

He, I haven’t noticed that. Well, I guess I’ll drop the blunderbuss and take another informer, with a bow.

Thank you ! :hat off

Kilov:

Been playing them for quite a while in Mordheim now, and I have never given informers anything other then slings (which are ownage!). You can use all of your money in way better ways, especially when you get some CD hero’s. you can buy alot of crap for them :slight_smile: O and I would buy the informers in 1 group instead of seperate ones, if you have the feeling they will get raped you just walk back 1 of them so they still get exp.

Personally I never really liked using a 2 1-handers, I have found it very usefull to get strongman with your galoers and bull centaur asap, and when you get CD with the Lad’s got Talent give them shooting skills.

I’ve been playing this way, 3 close combat heroes, and 2 shooting heroes which are armed from top to bottom with pretty much all possible ranged weapons after you reach far into the campaign so you will always have a weapon with you that suits for the situation. As second skill list i would go for strenght (resillient / strongman / mighty blow), then you can go both ways if you really like. or at least give him more survivability :slight_smile:

Auretious Taak:

Been playing them for quite a while in Mordheim now, and I have never given informers anything other then slings (which are ownage!). You can use all of your money in way better ways, especially when you get some CD hero's.

Kilov
As a general rule, if you have a hand free in combat you aren't maximising the potential damage output on a model. An Informer is the equivalent of a Human Warrior stats-wise, str and T 3 with 1 base attack is decent and gets hits and damage in but if you leave the Informer without a secondary weapon and he isn't holding a shield nor usinga spear, you're wating optimization. A second dagger costs 2 but is inferior to the club which costs 3 - better weapon rules, better crit table, you can't go far wrong for Informers with Slings, maces and daggers at 20gc's. You're basically looking at a slower but much braver standard Skaven Verminkin for 5gc's cheaper. ow, slings really don't need to be in hand to be modelled onto the models and representative. A sling is, afterall, just a strip of leather with a slightly larger bit in the middle, one could easily improvise a belt as a sling, or have a sling in a pouch. Just let your opponent know that the model has a sling and you should be fine regardless of whether your informers have bows (just let the opponent know they don't have bows yet - easy).
Posted by cianty - 07-15-2009 04:38 AM
Nice.

Remember that with 9 models you will only rout after losing 3 models whereas with 8 models you have to start taking Rout tests with 2 models out of action. So it is well worth squeezing a ninth model (another informer) in. If you don't want to lose any of the more expensive weapons (double handed weapon) for that, then you can just live with it and buy another warrior after game 1. But I would try to start with 9 models.
Posted by Ancre - 07-15-2009 06:47 AM
He, I haven't noticed that. Well, I guess I'll drop the blunderbuss and take another informer, with a bow.

Thank you !
You could push to 9 members, but in so doing you are taking away a powerful board control item in your starting arsenal. As much as people proclaim that 9 members is the way to go, for a small warband (12 max models) with solid survivability (on everyone barring the Informers anyways) it isn't so much of an issue. You can get away with 8 or even 7 members to start with in order to ensure you have a solid build to begin with. That first game is more about surviving rather then dishing out the pain - surviving so as the Chaos Dwarfs get a point of experience and you get more income from the heroes surviving. That income can then get you extra henchies if you so desire or go towards setting you up for a very strong early game.

Now, I know this thread is 3.5 weeks old so you are probably into a Mordheim Campaign already but maybe try this as a starting warband:

HEROES

1 sorcerer , 85 gold crowns

1 bull centaur , 100 gold crowns
Hammer 3 gc's and dagger

1 gaoler , 50 gold crowns
with a steel whip and dagger, 10 gold crowns

with a double-handed weapon and dagger, 15 gold crowns

HENCHMEN

Chaos dwarf , 40 gold crowns
Dagger, Mace 3 gc's

Chaos Dwarf , 40 gold crowns
Dagger, Mace 3 gc's

Dagger, Mace 3 gc's

Informer , 15 gold crowns
with a sling, dagger and Club 3 gold crowns

8 Members, 500/500gc's.

Now, there's a few things modified here, basically alot of cost cutting that can be replaced with better weapons after the first game. Shields by themselves are not great, they are more an extravagance really, and unless you are playing house rules that allow a hand-weapon and shield to give you an extra point of save then a 6+ save against a good chunk of attacks against you will be next to useless. Don't get me wrong I usually stock up on shields on my guys, but only after the essentials are there. So, the Warriors have no shields. I know the warriors are armed with Axes, but you likely also have some sort of hat or mask on the warriors too, in a pinch you now have a mace represented and after the first game can get yourself an axe for each of them to increase their effectiveness. Every model gets a free dagger as standard so you automatically have a back up weapon or just need a single one-handed weapon to get that extra attack, so for now the Bull Centaur gets a single Hammer and also uses the dagger whose special rule is cancelled by the base strength of the Bull Centaur so it isn't that much of an issue in anycase. The Gaoler with double-handed weapon also has his free dagger because at times you want to strike first.

8 members, a 3rd Chaos Dwarf Henchy (all in separate henchy groups) for increased heroness and retaining the Blunderbuss for board control, with everyone armed with 2 hand weapons except for the gaoler that has a bit more smackdown instead.

What do you think?

Auretious Taak.

Ancre:

Been playing them for quite a while in Mordheim now, and I have never given informers anything other then slings (which are ownage!). You can use all of your money in way better ways, especially when you get some CD hero's. you can buy alot of crap for them :) O and I would buy the informers in 1 group instead of seperate ones, if you have the feeling they will get raped you just walk back 1 of them so they still get exp.

Kilov
Buying informers in many groups of one is a gamble while buying them in one group of many is playing safe. If you have many, when gaining experience you have many rolls other than just one, which means you have more chance to get an interesting advance, like +1 attack, rather than something you don't want, or don't really have a need for. You can then bulk out the group with the most interesting advances. The downside is that experience is easily lost as henchmen die easily. I think in the end it all goes down to a matter of personal preference !

And I like to buy them clubs, they're still cheap, and it makes them more efficient in hand to hand.
Personally I never really liked using a 2 1-handers, I have found it very usefull to get strongman with your galoers and bull centaur asap, and when you get CD with the Lad's got Talent give them shooting skills.

Kilov
2 1-hander ? I don't understand sorry ... it's 2 am and I should go to sleep instead of answering forum threads ;) I don't really mind having a great weapon on a dwarf, as with M3 and I2 he's not likely to strike first anyways. And I think one high strenght attack is a good thing to have. Strongman on the bullcentaur is interesting though, and is what I aimed to ; but I have to play without it in the beginning ! And two hammers is a great combination too (three s4 attacks !).
You could push to 9 members, but in so doing you are taking away a powerful board control item in your starting arsenal.

Auretious Taak
I have no experience of blunderbusses, and it seemed to me to be an efficient but difficult to use weapon. But you're right I guess ; it is just that it causes me so much problems (who should bear it, how should it be used, etc). If used well it looks like it can gives me victory, but I have to make a plan around it, in order to bring the circumstances needed for that lucky shot.
Now, I know this thread is 3.5 weeks old so you are probably into a Mordheim Campaign already but maybe try this as a starting warband:

HEROES

1 sorcerer , 85 gold crowns

1 bull centaur , 100 gold crowns
Hammer 3 gc's and dagger

with a steel whip and dagger, 10 gold crowns

with a double-handed weapon and dagger, 15 gold crowns

HENCHMEN

Chaos dwarf , 40 gold crowns
Dagger, Mace 3 gc's

Dagger, Mace 3 gc's

Dagger, Mace 3 gc's

Informer , 15 gold crowns
with a sling, dagger and Club 3 gold crowns

8 Members, 500/500gc's.

Auretious Taak
In fact, no, I intended to play with my brother, but because of his medication he was unable to do so ! This thread was mostly to get me a right list I can use as a guide to what to do in the conversions (you can see my thread in my signature - it is a little empty, I will try to update it soon).

I like your list, it looks like a solid one (lots of miniatures and poor equipment usually is !) ; I may consider not giving my dwarves their shields and give them maces instead. And I will need a shooty dwarf model. Hm. Might reconsider everything and come with another list tomorrow.

Auretious Taak:

Ancre,

The Blunderbuss is all about narrow alleys. Find one, clump around it and hide and force your opponent to react to you. If the fool moves multiple models down an alley you pop the blunderbuss and wipe outa  good chunk at once. I find it useful to strip lucky charms off of heroes also, and it can win the game, but is all about manouvrability and board control. Your opponent is more likely to spread his forces out meaning you can hit him in bits and pieces rather then having to hit en-mass else risk a counter charge that will hurt you more.

A.T.

P.S. You want all your Chaos dwarves to be packing a Blunderbuss by about game 8 or 9 at the most. Being able to move and fire is damned nice and if the opponent clumps uyp and you can hit 3 or 5 or more guys at once you can wipe out whole chunks of a warband at range really fast.