[Archive] boyfights' 15mm chaos dwarfs (hobgoblins have arrived) [07-17-2018]

boyfights:

I’m crossposting these from my frostgrave thread on Admiral’s suggestion; painted tjublings!

Big thanks to tjub and Admiral for making and selling these, they’re beautiful sculpts and a joy to paint. I’m just recently getting back into gaming after a very long time off and was never much of a painter to begin with, basically limited to black undercoat + drybrushing on the rare occasion that I could even be bothered, so I’m essentially teaching myself to paint. These guys are my fifth batch since starting shortly after Easter :slight_smile:

[attachment=5550]

[attachment=5551]

Cloister:

Great paint jobs on these little guys! They look like a lot of fun.

tjub:

Yay, looks great!

Reminds me of smaller versions of Carcearions. Always a joy to see these little Dawi Zharr with paint on.

If you are using them for Frostgrave the next release should be interesting as well, a few more characters. :slight_smile:

boyfights:

Thanks to both of you! I’m really excited about your new sculpts tjub, I expect to work most of your stuff into special scenarios or terrain pieces or whatever other excuse I can give myself to buy them :slight_smile: I expect that I’ll still be a couple months getting off the ground but once I have a board and another warband or three prepared the plan is to blog a solo campaign.

I managed to get a base coat on most of my second 12 tjublings - skull command, hat command, four blunderbusses and the flamethrower team - yesterday before dropping a stand and having to re-glue them. So far there has been one accident per batch (digging my night goblins out from under the oven with a wooden spoon was fun, big thanks to vallejo varnish though, only two touchups!) so I’m hoping it’ll be smooth sailing from here :smiley:

Abecedar:

Great work. Has to be hard painting things that small.

boyfights:

I don’t find the actual painting itself so difficult, although I do take my time and go pretty slowly; I think it took me around 10 hours total to get through these guys. I’d never really painted red before, and was playing with more inks than just black for the first time, so they took a little extra time :slight_smile:

Managed to finish up my basecoats last night in between dropping and having to re-glue models to their stands twice, I seem to have cursed myself. I think I need to suck it up and buy some proper popsicle sticks for bases instead of being stubborn and using the mini-sticks that I ordered by accident :stuck_out_tongue: Hopefully better luck tonight!

boyfights:

My splintered light order came in yesterday! I ordered a pack of 20mm goblins to use as hobgoblins; I think they look a little more like the tribal hobgoblins, but they’re about the best fit I’ve been able to find and I’ll be happy to use them as tribal hobgoblins once tjub blesses us with his! I didn’t get a chance to ink them for a better shot, but here is how they compare to the tjublings scale-wise (keeping in mind the tjublings are on 1mm thick washers, basing has begun!):

I think they’ve got a cool old-school GW feel, the mohawk guy in particular :slight_smile: Better shots of the minis are here: Splintered Light Miniatures

boyfights:

Just realized I never posted the picture of my second batch of tjublings here as well:

Shots with bases to come soon, hopefully!

Admiral:

Nice work! Simple but effective colour scheme. And those goblins fit in well scalewise.

Any plans for basing?

boyfights:

Thank you! I tried to not to overextend myself with these and just stuck with something simple since I’m still very much in the learning stages of painting. I was afraid of mangling them and making you and tjub reconsider selling them altogether :smiley: I’ll try to get a little fancier with the next batch, my confidence is growing quickly!

I’m having a tough time deciding on my basing and I’ve never actually done it before so I’m a touch anxious about ruining my models and procrastinating badly :slight_smile: I think I’m going to do up a few old Flames of War models as testers, but right now the plan is to glue everything to appropriately sized washers, smooth over with filler putty and add some sand, bird grit (is this a bad idea?) and bits of static grass. I’ll probably stick to fairly neutral bases for most of my models as I plan to run a Border Princes campaign after my Dark Lands one using a lot of the same models, and due to space reasons my tables (I’m hoping to do 6 2x2’s to allow for a 4x6 table if I combine them) will need to be suitable for both Warhammer settings and ideally a WW2 theater as well.

Lots of things to consider but they’re the next steps for this project, at least until the new Tjublings arrive to distract me :slight_smile:

Duncan:

With basing I think going simple is the way to go especially at this scale, you don’t want to drown out the figures with the base. Having said that a couple of grass tufts can hide any errors with the basing putty.

I am sure they will look good whatever you do if you are keeping it reasonably neutral as they look good so far.

boyfights:

Thank you very much, I will keep those tips in mind! In the end I opted against getting flowers for this project as my games will take place in the Dark Lands themselves, but I will definitely find something appropriate for them and I will be using your bases for inspiration otherwise, I really like yours :slight_smile:

This weekend I will have a chance to dig through my collection of old, broken Warhammer models and I’m planning to grab a few empty bases for testers before I tackle these guys. Dependent on drying time I’m hoping to have some samples by Monday for feedback!