[Archive] Building a tree fort!

Hill_Billy_Bub:

That's really cool...you need to do it California style, add a water hose to the top of the slide and make it a water slide :cheers

Fuggit Khan
California Style? right now California style is dry and burning because of our drought and lightning storms.

Hill_Billy_Bub
Read about a guy who makes a living painting peoples grass lawns green. To save them a lot of water.

Bloodbeard
Wouldn't it be a lot less hassle just to get AstroTurf installed?

Dînadan
yeah but doesnt look or feel as nice, plus kinda expensive

Bloodbeard:

So not really part of the tree house build. But close to the tree house is our fire pit. I’ve ordered up some cheap survival gear from China. Got amongst other things a magnesium firestarter for a 0,80usd incl shipping.

Testet it out myself, worked fine. Then had the kids run amok with it as well. After a few tries both my 9yo daughter and 7yo son were able to light a fire with it.

The made their own tinderbundles, gather sticks and fire wood. Made sparks and helped the little ember to become a flame.

That was a really proud moment! And the quality of the firestarter is as good as the ones I can buy in dk - for 12usd.

Abecedar:

Ok. I may be a worry wart, but teaching kids to play with fire is… playing with fire

(please note I do have slight fire-bug tendencies my self).

Hill_Billy_Bub:

Ok. I may be a worry wart, but teaching kids to play with fire is... playing with fire
(please note I do have slight fire-bug tendencies my self).

Abecedar
Hey at a young age I literally played with fire and learned my leason the hard way. My parents did kinda look over me to make sure I didn't set our house on fire, but beside I learn my lesson when i tried to put out a leaf fire i started with a magnifying glass and got burnt. Ahh good times.

Abecedar:

My dubious history in regards to fire
- Left thumb tip partially numb and scarred from holding a “cracker” for way tooo long.
- A scar on forehead from melting copper wire on a plank of hardiflex fibreboard. (The fibro exploded)
- Wanted some gunpowder to make a fire trail, just like in the old movies. Hint - Do Not try to open a rifle cartridge with hammer.
God knows where the projectile went.  I was deaf for a while too.

I’m still alive and much more careful now.

Oh and I did fall out of some tree-houses, twice I think. Didn’t stop me from building one for the kids

Bloodbeard:

Summer weather has been really bad this year! The treefort should have been done during the summer vacation, it didn’t happen. Luckily my kids like being outside, so it’ll properly get done before next summer.

Second wall almost finished. All nails used are recycled. Pulled from old boards with crowbars and straightened with hammer blows. Good dwarven work by my children.

My wife got this neat idea to build a climbing wall from old tires (her dad’s a mechanic). Filled the trunk when I visited my in-laws today and started that project as well.

Tires are bolted together, they’re not getting away from each other again. Plan on tying the “tire net” to the trees with strong robe. The trees lean away from one another, so in the top there should be room for 3 tires side by side.

Gonna start with a height of 5 tires and decide if that seems safe.

Safe being “a fall won’t kill ya”.

Dînadan:

Really shaping up now - hope for your kids’ sake you don’t have to move home any time soon :frowning:

Admiral:

That’s a great tree fort already. Looks exotic on the pictures. Well done! Me and my brother’s experience with such buildings are limited to tree-less ones, most notably a palissade tower (modelled on those in Age of Empires I) which our dad and the father in our neighbours’ family built for us and the neighbour kids. It stood for perhaps ten years in the midst of a small forest before the rot had spread too high on the stakes driven into the ground.