[Archive] Building a tree fort!

Bloodbeard:

When I was a kid my Dad build my Brother and I a tree fort. I was build between three trees in a triangular shape. It was an awesome tree fort, we continued to build on it my brother and me. Hazardous and a regular Tetanus Trap of rusty nails. Absolutely  perfect.

When it had rotten away we had a great few hours demolishing it completely. The went right back to work, digging a hole for a large pole. Three trees and a pole - our tree fort was twice as big, as it was a cube. We build it all by ourselves.

… Time flies and one grows up.

My third tree fort - and the first for my kids.
One day I was out walking my baby with the stroller. Came past a house where they had just pulled down their old garage. A nice big pile of boards and beams. It was lying there for three days, then I asked if I could have them.

The man was happy saving some trips to the junkyard, I was happy to get free materials.

I thinks it’s a great experience for the kids. Build something cool from trash, learn about recycling, doing something for free. First all the old nails have to be pulled out with crowbars, hammers and tongs. Heavy metal!

Spend a few bugs on some fresh 2x4’s, to make sure the structure would be secure.

Those nice big posts were also among the junk. Three was secured to trees and one was dug into a hole.

And now almost finished with putting down the floor. After that the Sky is the limit. Up up up it goes.

Plans included a door with a bolt lock so the kids can secure themselves inside. Make the space beneath the tree fort into a prison cage. A trapdoor leading up to the roof/deck - also secureable with a bolt lock.

And just today I was promised a long slide, that lies discarded near some of my friends house. They’ve promised to scavange it for me, just need to pick it up.

That that pile of garden “trash” you can see in the background behind the fort is actually a small shelter. Expanded everytime I cut the grass and the hedges around here. All has gone to making that shelter thicker and more resistent. I kind of shrinks next to the new fort.

Dînadan:

Tree fort? I thought this was Chaos Dwarfs Online, not Woold Elves Online! A true Dawi would have carved a fort from the bones of the earth itself!

;p

Nice idea, sounds like an ambitious project. Hope the beardlings enjoy it when it’s done :slight_smile:

Bloodbeard:

Tree fort?  I thought this was Chaos Dwarfs Online, not Woold Elves Online!  A true Dawi would have carved a fort from the bones of the earth itself!
Nice idea, sounds like an ambitious project.  Hope the beardlings enjoy it when it's done :)

Dînadan
Started digging a large mine in the Garden - but my wife didn't agree with it. In the end she has more power than the dog, who thought it was an awesome idea.

Perhaps the project will end up like any Lego project - the fun part is to build it. But my kids love sleeping outside so I think it'll see a lot of use.

Fuggit Khan:

No childhood is complete without a proper fort.

Whether it be a tree fort, a refrigerator box, or the sofa cushions all piled up into walls under the piano (which drove my parents nuts) :hat off

Abecedar:

Every kid needs a tree house.

Bloodbeard:

Yes! Building one's own tree house. My best friend and I also built one back then. Thinking about it gives me some good childhood memories.
Go for it!
Bloodbeard for the win!

Herby
Every kid with a treehouse must have some good memories with them. My treehouse was the center of many softgun wars when we became a bit older.
No childhood is complete without a proper fort.
Whether it be a tree fort, a refrigerator box, or the sofa cushions all piled up into walls under the piano (which drove my parents nuts) :hat off

Fuggit Khan
Anything goes really. A piano is a perfect roof, great base for a proper cushion cave. Tables, chairs, blankets. I've woken up to a living room filled by this more than once.
Every kid needs a tree house.

Abecedar
Yes. We have the luxury of not being invaded by snakes and deadly spiders!

The Ice Cream Deck!
Finished the floor for the fort. But without walls it's technically a deck. It's already in use and have been named "The Ice Cream Deck", since eating ice crem there is its primary function at the time.

Started building the first wall as well and got the ladder build as well. Ran out of nail free boards, so the kids have been swinging the crowbars for the last hours - getting more boards ready.

There's a nice row of trees in the back of the garden. So besides the cabin we had to do something more. Tested it with some crazy Tarzan like swinging and since I didn't get the beam in the head, I figure it's safe for kids.

It's the beam and the rope to the right in the picture, a bit distorted by the light in the camera. The net swing is pretty neat as well. Bumping into the tree trunks is used the right way.

Blonde Beer:

Your kids are lucky :). Keep up the good work!

cornixt:

Is there a benefit to doing diagonal planks? Or did you choose a non-rectangular shape?

Bloodbeard:

Your kids are lucky :). Keep up the good work!

Blonde Beer
Lucky to have them. Thanks. :hat off
Is there a benefit to doing diagonal planks? Or did you choose a non-rectangular shape?

cornixt
None that I know. I just had three trees in a non rectangular shape. And had I planted the vertical beam differently, my boards wouldn't be long enough for the walls.

Dînadan:

, my boards wouldn't be long enough for the walls.

Bloodbeard
That's your benefit ;)

Bloodbeard:

Bloodbeard
That's your benefit ;)

Dînadan
Don't get it,  sorry. Please explain,  despite the fact that it'll ruin the joke.

Slide

Got a slide for free. Had a small crack in it. Fixed with epoxy glue and sandpapered smooth.

Plan to paint it OD - army green. If I can find some.

Pretty lucky. The height of the slide and the floor is a perfect fit.

Xander:

Sweet slide. :slight_smile:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Dînadan:

Bloodbeard
That's your benefit ;)

Dînadan
Don't get it,  sorry. Please explain,  despite the fact that it'll ruin the joke.

Bloodbeard
The benefit of placing them diagonally is that then they'll fit the area they need to cover - to be fair, it's a weak, lame joke.

Bloodbeard:

Ah! It’s certainly not a comical master piece like this one:

What’s blue and smells like red paint?
Blue Paint!
Badum-tish!

Dînadan:

Ah! It's certainly not a comical master piece like this one:
What's blue and smells like red paint?
Blue Paint!
Badum-tish!

Bloodbeard
Nah that's worse - anyone with an ounce of sanity knows that different colours smell differently.

:P

Fuggit Khan:

That’s really cool…you need to do it California style, add a water hose to the top of the slide and make it a water slide :cheers

Got a slide for free. Had a small crack in it. Fixed with epoxy glue

Bloodbeard
Epoxy? Not green stuff?
Plan to paint it OD - army green. If I can find some.

Bloodbeard
You could always buy 12,400 pots of GW ‘Death World Forest’ green paint :sick

Dînadan:

That's really cool...you need to do it California style, add a water hose to the top of the slide and make it a water slide :cheers

Fuggit Khan
Nah, do it Dawi Zharr style and pump magma from the earth's core instead.

;P

Hill_Billy_Bub:

That's really cool...you need to do it California style, add a water hose to the top of the slide and make it a water slide :cheers

Fuggit Khan
California Style? right now California style is dry and burning because of our drought and lightning storms.

But I love the fort man. When I was tiny I had an old chicken coop and pig pen that I hammered boards to to "fortify" it during squirtgun wars with my brother and friends. Good times

Bloodbeard:

Fuggit Khan
California Style? right now California style is dry and burning because of our drought and lightning storms.

Hill_Billy_Bub
Read about a guy who makes a living painting peoples grass lawns green. To save them a lot of water.

Dînadan:

Fuggit Khan

Hill_Billy_Bub
Read about a guy who makes a living painting peoples grass lawns green. To save them a lot of water.

Bloodbeard
Wouldn't it be a lot less hassle just to get AstroTurf installed?