[Archive] Bull Centaur Lord? Any one actually use one

Maul:

I am still experimenting with my lord choices. I like the CDL on Taurus, but I was just wondering what folks experiences or thoughts on Bull centaur Lord were and how they might structure their other three characters if you were to use one?

Ubertechie:

I am still experimenting with my lord choices. I like the CDL on Taurus, but I was just wondering what folks experiences or thoughts on Bull centaur Lord were and how they might structure their other three characters if you were to use one?

Maul
They are pretty hitty but i think they are like a chaos lord in comparison to an exalted hero the extra cost just does not justify the performance difference and the loss of the lord slot - which is a real shame (in both cases) - also you dont get LD 10 which you do with any other of our lords

Border Reiver:

I haven’t tried a BC lord for quite some time. As a walk up and smack the enemy silly sort of character he can’t be beat, but gives up a pip of ld over the other choices. The ld loss can be compensated for my taking a CD hero who can act as a general.

On really hitty build is

BC lord with the armour of gazrakh, gauntlets of B the Cruel and a great weapon - 226 points, M8 and able to smash chariot with impunity

However, like all character builds, if you focus soley on characters in you army, then the rest of your army won’t be able to handle your opponent’s army.

Time of Madness:

There are several problems with the bull centaur lord build.

#1) Not cost effective. Take Border Reiver’s build costing 228pts for example. For the lord to be effective you are going to need to take a unit of bull centaurs which costs at least another 100pts. So for 338pts you get five T4 1 wound centaurs and one T5 3 wound centaur.

#2) Units of bull centaurs are already heavily focused on by most opponents (shooting/magic/war machines etc). Throw a lord into the unit and your opponent will whittle away at it even more.

#3) The basic chaos dwarf lord is a better alternative and cheaper. The ability to mount him on a cheap taurus gives him more hitting power and makes him more mobile then the bull centaur lord. The loss of the lord slot really cripples the bull centaur lord.

#4) LD9 means you most likely are going to have to take a chaos dwarf hero to be the general.

When it comes down to it if you want a bull centaur character then take the bull centaur hero. Gives you a T5 character that still packs 4 attacks.

Time of Madness

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

I wanted a BC lord, but now I just use a BC hero who is my battle standard bearer.

Swissdictator:

The only times a lord level character is worthwhile for us is if we want either a lot of magic power (Sorcerer Lord), or a flying terror causing mount (Lord on Great Taurus more so then Sorc Lord on Lammassu (in my opinion)).

If it’s all foot based (and not going for high magic)? The Heroes are far more cost effective. The points you save can allow for a bolt thrower or two if my memory is correct.

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

Well, I could see using a BC lord in a 3,500 point plus game when multiple lords are aloud.

wizuriel:

I personally use the lord with black hammer + shield + armour of furnace for 263 pts. he is fast enough that I can smash chariots or hit where I need to hit.

alot cheaper than the lord on taurus and still pretty good.

I guess the main reason to use the lord over the hero is you can give the lord both defense and offensive magic items, a hero I find can only go with 1 or the other.

compared to a hero with GW + gauntlets + gaz (154 pts), for 109 more pts you get

+1 attack, WS, wounds, I, magic attacks, instant kill flamable creatures, 5+ wardsave and immunity to fire. Though the AS is 2 saves worst

Ancient History:

Someone once mentioned an anti-Empire tactic of planting a Bull Centaur Lord or Hero in a unit of Hobgoblin Wolfboyz. When the unit got within range, the Bull Centaur Lord/Hero would charge out of the unit into the detachment, hopefully breaking them and causing them to flee; the Wolfboyz could then take on the exposed flank of the Empire unit.

RedRaven:

As always with the green little friends, if they squabble your lord would be in a very nasty situation.

Also, T3, low S, they’re pretty easily annihilated, leaving your lord exposed.

Time of Madness:

That’s the problem, I could never justify putting a Bull centaur lord in a unit of wolf riders…If they squabble you are screwed.

That leaves the bull centaurs as the only logical place to put him. Making the unit expensive/all your eggs in one basket type unit.

Time of Madness

rabotak:

I always use my BC-Lord, at least in the last 30 games or so…

I either equip him with armour of gazrakk and obsidian blade or for hard hitting (when i leave my taurus at home - I usually play 3k+)

with gaz/bazh and black hammer of hashut, and always running solo…

subtle enough that hes almost never shot at, and hard and hitty to always regain my points

Maul:

I could never rationalize how to use the BC lord. I think the hobgoblin wolf riders is where I would dump him if I use him. If my bull centaurs get blasted a lot, you should see my hobgoblins. I can’t remember a game in which I felt like the wolf riders paid back their points. With their soft leadership, they are so easy to scare off from magic. The lord could do something in that front. The problem then is that he is likely to end up on a flank, out of the main fray.

I do use a BC battle standard bear and really like him (armor of Gaz & Sword of Might). I like to put him in with either Orcs or Black Orcs depending on the point total of the game.

I have used a sorcerer lord, and not been overly impressed with their performance. Compared to the army’s with books, CD magic just does not have much wow factor (no great selection of magic items or special rules). To give up the lord choice in the name of magic defense just seems like a raw deal to me.

Ubertechie:

I think that we are lucky in that we don’t require lords to make most builds of our army work effectivley - we have leadership 10 heroes, great fighty heroes and decent enough wizards you can easily get a BSB, a LD10 general and 2 level 2s for less than 500 points which is very hard in most other armies.

The only benefits lords give you are :-

Greater access to magic items (not always a benefit as you can sink a lot of points into 1 model)

Flying mounts

qwe50:

I use a BC lord - especially if i expect alot of shooty opponents so a Taurus lord would be to risky.

I think we can say it’s a BC lord VS. Taurus lord - there are no reson at all to take a Dwarf on food and a sorcerer is a difrent kind of playing style.  

A few builds.

BC lord @ 263p
Black hammer, armour of furnace, shield
M8 WS6 S7 T5 5A Ld9  3+ / 5+ward   kill flaming / imune to fire.

BC lord @ 268p
Sword of striking, gauntlets of bazarakh, armour of furnace, shield
M8 WS6 S6 T5 5A Ld9  3+ / 5+ward   +1 to hit / imune to fire.

Alan the evil:

I started to use BC lord after loosing a lots of time my hero lord on great taurus for shoot/magic in many games (even let him under cover for 1/2 turn/s).

The building was

BC lord @ 263p

M8 WS6 S7 T5 5A Ld9  3+ / 5+ward   kill flaming / imune to fire.
like qwe50 said (maybe the best combination)

It worked very well for many matches

but…

a hero with GW + gauntlets + gaz (154 pts)

works the same quite well and let me open for a another lord choice and, how swissdictator said:
The only times a lord level character is worthwhile for us is if we want either a lot of magic power (Sorcerer Lord), or a flying terror causing mount (Lord on Great Taurus more so then Sorc Lord on Lammassu (in my opinion))
obviously in 1999/2999 pt lists

also, in italy they often use (in the few lists i read out of FIGW rules) a BC hero BSB with sorcerer lord and two sorcerers… BC lord it’s not so used

qwe50:

In my lists under the ETC rules (or rules like that) i usely have

BC lord @ 263p

M8 WS6 S7 T5 5A Ld9 3+ / 5+ward kill flaming / imune to fire.

BC BSB @175

Sword of might, armour of gazarakh

Sorcerer @115

2 x dispel magic scrolls

Sorcerer @90

dispel magic scroll

i can’t have a hero as general - the scroll and DD from the 2th sorcerer is to important.

Or Taurus

Chaos Dwarf Lord @443

Black Hammer of Hashut, Armour of the Furnace

Shield, Great Taurus

BC BSB @175

Sword of might, armour of gazarakh

Sorcerer @115

2 x dispel magic scrolls

Sorcerer @90

dispel magic scroll

That make my current list.

Chaos Dwarf Lord @443