[Archive] Bull Centaur Lord combos

KramDratta:

Hi ,

I tried fielding a Lvl 4 Sorceror & a Chaos Dwarf Lord on Taurus, but @ 2500 pts (which seems to be the standard here) its just not feasible. So I decided to try out the Bull Centaur Lord for the first time.

This is what I’ve come up with:

Bull Centaur Lord

Sword Of Bloodshed (+3A)

Dragon Helm (+1AS & 2+ Ward Save against Flaming Attacks)

Luckstone (re-roll on failed Armour Save)

Potion Of Strength (+3 Strength)

Heavy Armour & Shield (2+ Armour Save)

With Initiative 5, 8 Attacks WS 8 Strength 8 attacks seem great on paper. I’ll place the Lord in a unit of Bull Centaurs (Banner of Swiftness) and add a Hobgoblin on Wolf with the Black Gem. With Movement 9 & Ld 9, out flanking block units should be possible. Hobgoblin hero takes on opponent’s fighty character & the Bull Centaur Lord (hopefully makes a mess of the rank and file)

Any suggestions and or other combos anyone might be using?

Cheers

JonnyBoomBoom:

This is how i have been running mine with great success…

Sword of Swiftness (ASF)
Gauntlets of Bazhrakk (+1 Str)
Talismon of Pres (4+ Ward)
Enchanted Shield
Hvy Arm

With this, his defense is solid with an armor save (+2 w/CDO Faq or +3 w/out) and a great ward.

For offense, he has Str 6 attacks that are ASF and the majority of the time can be re-rolled (to get rid of those pesky 1’s w/the gauntlets) cuz his Int is 5.

He is not built for character slaying perse, but does a great job slaying rank and file.

KramDratta:

@JonnyBoomBoom: Nice combo…me likey. Do you deploy him with a unit & how do you use him (flanker/head on & grind opponent)?

Bolg:

For offense, he has Str 6 attacks that are ASF and the majority of the time can be re-rolled (to get rid of those pesky 1's w/the gauntlets) cuz his Int is 5.

JonnyBoomBoom
Wow thats a very sweet trick giving him a good chance at reroll's like that. I'll keep that in mind.

Personally I havent tried the centaur lord jet but I would like to try him.

I assume you put him in a unit with additional hand weapons?

JonnyBoomBoom:

It really depends on what i am going up against. below is a short list of deployments…

Vs anything w/cannons or anything else that i really need a look out sir roll, he goes in a unit of 5 bull centaurs w/add HW. No cmd, just hvy arm. 105pts of goodness that i could care less if they die, just get my bull lord behind enemies lines to take out all supporting units and perhaps a timely rear or flank charge in turn 5 or 6.

Vs an army in which i do not have to worry about look out sir rolls but does have some shooting/magic, in my block of black orcs. On their own they hit like a ton of bricks, but throw this bad boy in there, it’s a like dropping an anvil off sears tower. Alot of times he’ll charge out of the unit on his own however. It typically surprises people when i do this, as they did not specific it at all.

Vs an army with no shooting, sometimes believe it or not, on his own. he can bob-n-weave around terrain and actually win combat vs most small blocks or cav (+1 CR for Flank, +1 CR for Charge, and a modest +3 CR for wounds, for a total of 5 CR on a bad day).

Da Crusha:

a build I used once was:
bull centaur lord
potion of strength (+3 Strength 1 use only)
sword of strife (+2 attacks)
armour of gazrakh
luckstone

come to think of it it is almost exactly the same build as yours Kramdratta. except I trade the extra attack for a pip of AS. and you get the 2+ ward against fire… I think I like yours better.

KramDratta:

@JonnyBoomBoom: I like your setup, but I prefer the Dragonhelm (&mundane shield) over the Enchanted Shield (since I give it the Hobgoblin Hero for a 2+ save. This way, he gets the same Armour Save as yours, but with a 2+ Ward save against Flaming Attacks.

Sword of Swiftness (ASF)

Gauntlets of Bazhrakk (+1 Str)

Talismon of Pres (4+ Ward)

Dragon Helm

Heavy Arm

Shield

@Da Crusha: After some practise dice rolls with both models, I admit I prefer the above combo than yours or mine. There are 2 reasons:

1. The potion of Strength must be declared at the beginning of the turn, which I have a habit of forgetting.

2. As JonnyBoomBoom said, with ASF & Initiative 5 the BC Lord gets that awesome re-roll most of the time. I have forefcully erased from my memory the times when I had to hit on 3+ & wound on 2+ (with 4/5 dice) and all I get is 1s & 2s (on the to hit).

JonnyBoomBoom:

Absolutely.  After reading yer set-up, i went back to my list & still trying to squeeze out 8 more pts for the helm & mundane shield.  Thx!

Also, w/the potion of str, u only get it for a turn, deters me from it.

I do like the potion of speed alot, but my enchanted item is already taken w/the gauntlets.

JonnyBoomBoom:

@Kramdratta

BTW, ever thought of giving yer Hobo on wolf the potion of foolhardiness? Gives him +1 Attack and ItP for a turn.

KramDratta:

@JonnyBoomBoom: Re the Hobgoblin hero, I normally use one of the following:

Hobgoblin Hero on Wolf

Sword of Antiheros

Heavy Armour

Enchanted Shield

Potion of Foolhardiness

Luckstone

Hobgoblin Hero on Wolf

Heavy Armour;

Enchanted Shield

Black Gem of Gnar

Luckstone

The first is my suicide gobbo, who I throw wherever the opponent’s wizard is. The other I use to negate killy characters in combat (Vampire Lords with red fury/Chaos Lords/Dragons, etc)

qwe50:

I play with this one.

BC lord

Talishman of Preservation, Crown of Command, Dragon Helm.

Heavy armour, Shield, Great weapon.

4+/2+ armour and 4+wad,r 5S7/5S5

but that is because i wan’t the crown for my horde units.

Thommy H:

He’s wearing two hats! How does that work?

zhatan87:

I up the topic to know if anybody have tried this set up :
I usually play a sorcerer level 4 with talisman of preservation (4+ ward save) and black gem or dispel scroll (dispell scroll on level 1 metal if I got one).
So, the talisman of preservation is taken and a taurus can’t be filled in 2500 pts game.

Sword of Swiftness (ASF)
Dragon Helm
Talisman of toughness (5+ ward save)
Crown of command (stubborn)
Heavy armour
Shield
279 pts

BolgGorog:

Sword of Swiftness (ASF)
Dragon Helm
Heavy Weapon
Shield
279 pts

zhatan87
Looks like a good idea, but I just thought that you can´t play the heavy weapon with the SoS?!?!

Da Crusha:

I up the topic to know if anybody have tried this set up :
I usually play a sorcerer level 4 with talisman of preservation (4+ ward save) and black gem or dispel scroll (dispell scroll on level 1 metal if I got one).
So, the talisman of preservation is taken and a taurus can't be filled in 2500 pts game.

Sword of Swiftness (ASF)
Dragon Helm
Heavy Weapon
Shield
279 pts

zhatan87
this bull centaur has a 4+ armour save (with cdo FAQ) in close combat, not a 2+. not sure how comfortable I am with his defense though. as a stubborn character I think he needs to be pretty survivable. I think a stubborn character in a horde of cd's is a great Idea, a bit of insurance for our ~500 pt unit. the only time we would really need that unit to be stubborn is if we are facing a more powerful character in which case you would definitely want it to be stubborn. I'm remembering a bout with a 50 strong unit of graveguard with great weapons, regeneration banner and vampire with a lend able weapon skill nearby. I lost about 19 or so chaos dwarfs and only did a handful in return...... in that case bring the flaming banner on a horde too. not sure if your bull centaur lord would've survived this long enough to grant stubborn to the unit. I couldn't throw my steadfast hobgoblins at this unit because they were already fighting against a horde of ghouls.

The biggest thing I worry about having a bull centaur lord fighting alongside cd warriors is that since they don't get look out sir because of being different troop types, they will likely be targeted by warmachines. I think the most ideal stubborn lord to fight alongside cds would be a cd lord with crown of commandment(35), Armour of destiny(50pts) and maybe dragonbane gem(5) or luckstone(5) and shield. this would give him a 4+ Armour save, 4+ ward save, stubborn and either a single armour reroll, or a 2 +ward against flaming attacks, and he gets a look out sir. still not 100% sure if I like his survivability but I think its the best we can achieve... any takers?

zhatan87:

Mistake : the BC lord doesn’t have heavy weapon (of course) but heavy ARMOUR to get the 2+ armour save…

The BC lord is far faster than the CD lord, which can be very handy in many occasions. The CD lord can be avoided, not the BC.

In fact, I very often play tourneys, and many people play a fast lord with the crown.
Such as the DE lord (but we don’t have the cheesy Khaeleth pendant…), or a WoC lord, etc…

So, our lord is pretty poor in comparison to them, but despite this fact, can he fill the same purposes?

Yes for the look sir, but i usually play 7 bull centaurs to hide him for 1-2 turn. BC are good in small numbers in support. And I have 2 hobgoblins hero on wolf (to get warmachines or to declare a faraway charge “to push a fleeing unit off”). So I don’t think that it’s insurmountable.

Da Crusha:

Mistake : the BC lord doesn't have heavy weapon (of course) but heavy ARMOUR to get the 2+ armour save...

The BC lord is far faster than the CD lord, which can be very handy in many occasions. The CD lord can be avoided, not the BC.

In fact, I very often play tourneys, and many people play a fast lord with the crown.
Such as the DE lord (but we don't have the cheesy Khaeleth pendant...), or a WoC lord, etc...

So, our lord is pretty poor in comparison to them, but despite this fact, can he fill the same purposes?

Yes for the look sir, but i usually play 7 bull centaurs to hide him for 1-2 turn. BC are good in small numbers in support. And I have 2 hobgoblins hero on wolf (to get warmachines or to declare a faraway charge "to push a fleeing unit off"). So I don't think that it's insurmountable.

zhatan87
hmm then that does sound pretty good actually. He'll have nice defense and the look out sir. HG heros to take out warmachines. I like the composition. I suppose I would use him to sit back in my BC unit and then before combat (assuming its a very powerful unit coming) I can have him run over quickly and join my Horde of cd's, or being so quick he could actually be a powerful mobile threat. hmm I might reconsider bringing a BC lord.