[Archive] Bull Centaurs - Making a full unit from alternate models?

RiTides:

I often have come across alternate bull centaurs, but I never seem to be able to find enough of a similar aesthetic to make a full unit.

I have owned the FW ones, and decided they were too large for my purposes. I next sourced the “bloodlust tyrant” model from Dark Hammer Miniatures which, while very cool, is a bit too asian-themed and has only one sculpt.

So, here is my newest plan, please tell me if it makes sense!

For the normal bull centaur unit, I will use these models as the rank and file, converting them with axes:

This will be the unit champion, also converted with an axe:

Finally, the model on the right of the below pic will be the Taur’ruk. I have these two models (unlike the above) and they are quite beefy - I think they will be larger than the above models, and thus work for a Taur’ruk. They are also more armored:

Thoughts appreciated! The first 3 models are from Meiko, the Taur’ruk is from the Volmarian line. I am especially curious about the size of the Meiko models as I am afraid they are rather small, and I can’t find size comparison shots anywhere online. I will likely just take the risk and order them, but if anyone can tell me more before I do I would of course appreciate it! Also just whether or not you think the unit will “work” or not :slight_smile: (I plan to run either one big 7-8 man unit, or two smaller units, along with a Taur’ruk)

dromar:

You can use the half-breeds form mantic games abyssal dwarfs.

Thought they are small they are very cheap.

Bloodbeard:

They are super nice miniatures. Used the top one for my CD chaos dwarf team. A bit larger in the torso than dwarfs - I would say chaos warrior size. There is more in that style, because I had one you havn’t pictured.

RiTides:

They are super nice miniatures. Used the top one for my CD chaos dwarf team. A bit larger in the torso than dwarfs - I would say chaos warrior size. There is more in that style, because I had one you havn't pictured.

Bloodbeard
Oh man, any chance you could find a picture of the one you're referring to that I haven't pictured?

Was it these from Gaspez Arts?

They also have a newer one, which looks quite good as a green:

If these are the same size I would certainly mix them in for more variety, but I wasn't sure if they would match. I have been leaning towards just going with the ones I put in the OP to make sure they are all the same style...

Any thoughts / knowledge / input greatly appreciated!

Bloodbeard:

Yes, it’s the two in the top! That’s the ones I have. Only have their bull bodies know and the spiked glove. I wanted to have their torsos in the style and size of my other dwarfs - what a waste. I wonder know if I still have the gut plates, better find a way to use them in my CD army.

Those greens are super awesome!

RiTides:

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

From a bit of googling, I’m thinking the Volmarian models are by far the beefiest (and I have two of these so have seen that in-person) so I may just go with them and do a bit of converting to vary up the unit.

I also happen to have two of these models (from the rolljordan Kickstarter campaign) so if I am up to it, will try converting the torso onto one of the centaurs to use as my Taur’ruk: