[Archive] Buying into CD from FW

Vitzh:

So after a million years of college I’m about to start my first real job. I’ve been thinking of buying a CD army from forge world as self graduation present, which leads to a bunch of questions!

If I give myself a budget of about $1k USD what would the forum recommend buying and what would the lists look like? Is forge world the way to go or would I be better poking about for used models online?

I notice there still aren’t FW Hobgoblins. Are there any good alternatives or is it best to hunt down the GW ones? Would a LotR Balrog be worth picking up as a K’hadii destroyer or does that look weird?

Thanks!

Bloodbeard:

Hi. Welcome to CDO.

This topic has been answered a lot of times in here, so try looking around for some old “how do I start”, “what to buy”, “first armylist” threads.

Take a look in the armylist section for some good 2400 point lists, that’ll get you what you need.

In the trade section there’s some large chunks of FW miniatures for sale - and that will save you money. Especially if bought within your own country.

There will never be FW hobgoblins. Russian Alternative have some nice hobgoblins - though quite expensive. A lot of people use regular goblins. The stormvermin with goblin/gnoblar head conversion is really popular too. In november I recieve my molds for hobgoblin heads and start casting them - perhaps you would want those.

I personally don’t like the balrog as a destroyer. Check out some of the cool armyblogs and the image gallery section for pictures of k’daiis. I use a converted Ghorgon (find it somewhere in my blog), many use the Maulerfiend as a base, Titan-Forge has releashed a really nice destroyer too.

Here’s a quick 1000p allround list to get you started. Don’t now how much something like this costs though.

+++ 1000pt Legion of Azgorh Roster (Standard)) +++

+ Heroes + (250pts)
* Daemonsmith Sorcerer (120pts)
Dispell Scroll (25pts), Lore of Fire

* Infernal Castellan (130pts)
Battle Standard Bearer (25pts)

+ Core + (504pts)
* Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (317pts)
20x Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (240pts), Deathmask (12pts), Musician (10pts)
* Standard Bearer (55pts)
Razor Standard (45pts)

* Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (187pts)
* 10x Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard (170pts)
10x Fireglave (50pts)
* Deathmask (17pts)
Naptha Bombs (5pts)

+ Special + (245pts)
* Deathshrieker Rocket (100pts)

* Magma Cannon (145pts)

Again welcome to CDO. Have a good look around and we’ll be happy to answer any further questions.

TheHoodedMan:

Hi there,
Congratulations :cheers!
A chaos dwarf army is a great way to reward yourself.

Onyx played a Forgeworld tournament list recently so take a look at his blog as an example and the models are also great painted! Adding prices is not so difficult then :-).
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13594&pid=244121#pid244121

There are also a lot of other options for dwarves, for example modern dwarves from Titan Wargames or Russian Alternative. Old big hats are also sold often and at the moment at the market place and ebay as is an mainly russian alternative painted army.
Old GW Hobgoblins can be very expensive if you are not lucky. There are new good looking models from battleforge and russian alternative for example. Some use LotR models, Mantic goblins or simply GW Goblins. A good option is to convert from skaven with gnoblar heads. There is also a project for casted hobgoblin heads for conversions from Admiral and Bloodbeard.
For options for the destroyer have a look in the showcase section or at one of the previous golden hats. There are a lot of great ideas. The balrog is not bad if one likes the style from my point of view.

I began an army from scratch this year and this were my experiences. Just take a look at the army blogs, there are a lot of ways to do this!
I personally chose a mix of forge world/russian alternative/old hobgoblins and an infernal golem as a destroyer.

edit: Bloodbeard was quicker :wink:

edit2: The 1000 points would be something under 240 british pounds bought from forge world (battle standard converted) without shipping. They don`t charge shipping above 250 pounds.

Bitterman:

I love the Forge World models, I think some of them are among the best I own. But, I think it would be difficult to recommend someone starting up with them now, without mentioning the following: an awful lot of Warhammer Forge stuff is disappearing from sale, not least of which includes the Monstrous Arcanum book (gone!) and more relevantly to Chaos Dwarfs, possibly also the Tamurkhan book (still available but price slashed, as though they’d trying to clear it).

Then there’s the models: Tamurkhan (gone!), Land Ship (gone!), Armoured Handgunner Command (gone!) and so on. I’ve not kept track too closely so I’m not sure if any CD stuff has gone off sale yet, but it seems like only a matter of time.

Add to that persistent rumours (which you may decide not to believe, of course) that the End Times that GW are currently running is a build-up to change everything in 9th Edition next year; with many special characters already dead, and CDs not even getting a mention, except that the entire Ogre nation is marching West (straight through where the CDs live)…?

So there’s a major question mark hanging over the future of the range. If you can afford to get everything you want in one go there’s no problem, but if you’re planning on picking up character A here, unit B there, unit C the next month and character D the month after that… consider that at any time, any of A, B, C or D might be removed from sale without warning. You might also consider asking yourself what happens if 9th Ed really does change everything. Will your gaming group be OK with you using an 8th Ed army in 9th Ed, or using house rules or community rules? Or is your gaming group the kind that only likes to play “official” rules and wouldn’t let you use your CDs if they didn’t have a current army list?

The WF CD models are fantastic and I endorse them heartily. But they’re also expensive, and before buying you should be sure that you won’t regret your purchases if the worst happens (models go off sale so you can’t complete your army, CDs don’t get “official” rules in 9th Ed, etc).

tenebre:

Get the models you love and WAIT for Bloodbeards AWESOME heads!!! (i am going to make units of dual wielding hobbos with those)

The first part I cant stress enough. FW models take work and $$ so make sure you think they are cool. The army list options have already been explained above :slight_smile:

The_Smither:

I love the Forge World models, I think some of them are among the best I own. But, I think it would be difficult to recommend someone starting up with them now, without mentioning the following: an awful lot of Warhammer Forge stuff is disappearing from sale, not least of which includes the Monstrous Arcanum book (gone!) and more relevantly to Chaos Dwarfs, possibly also the Tamurkhan book (still available but price slashed, as though they'd trying to clear it).

Then there's the models: Tamurkhan (gone!), Land Ship (gone!), Armoured Handgunner Command (gone!) and so on. I've not kept track too closely so I'm not sure if any CD stuff has gone off sale yet, but it seems like only a matter of time.

Add to that persistent rumours (which you may decide not to believe, of course) that the End Times that GW are currently running is a build-up to change everything in 9th Edition next year; with many special characters already dead, and CDs not even getting a mention, except that the entire Ogre nation is marching West (straight through where the CDs live)...?

So there's a major question mark hanging over the future of the range. If you can afford to get everything you want in one go there's no problem, but if you're planning on picking up character A here, unit B there, unit C the next month and character D the month after that... consider that at any time, any of A, B, C or D might be removed from sale without warning. You might also consider asking yourself what happens if 9th Ed really does change everything. Will your gaming group be OK with you using an 8th Ed army in 9th Ed, or using house rules or community rules? Or is your gaming group the kind that only likes to play "official" rules and wouldn't let you use your CDs if they didn't have a current army list?

The WF CD models are fantastic and I endorse them heartily. But they're also expensive, and before buying you should be sure that you won't regret your purchases if the worst happens (models go off sale so you can't complete your army, CDs don't get "official" rules in 9th Ed, etc).

Bitterman
I too am another poor fool who has fallen in love with warhammer forge chaos dwarfs. Iv priced up an army list and am contemplating hitting the confirm order button.

There's just this little voice in my head saying GW/FW are gonna screw it up for me!

TheHoodedMan:

So you need one to push you over the edge :hat?

The_Smither:

So you need one to push you over the edge :hat?

TheHoodedMan
A slight breeze

Admiral:

A Lotr Balrog will however look great if you convert it, like giving it a chain beard, armour plates and extra fire.

Also, wait with Hobgoblins until our heads are go and you can decide for yourself if they suit your tastes and are the right size. :wink:

TheHoodedMan:

Vogon reported from “warhammer fest”.

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14941

The Q&A was all about the Heresy. I can�?Tt remember a single question about anything else. I didn�?Tt get to ask a question myself during the main Q&A but did ask Tony about WFB and the K�?TDaai afterwards and was told that the K�?TDaai will get done eventually and there will be more Warhammer Forge stuff once the End Times Campaign has settled down. The focus is though on the Horus Heresy.
For me that means the existing models for cd will be continued. For more read in the thread “FW panic buying” :).

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14748

@The_Smither: Think carefully about it but I didn`t regret to begin with chaos dwarves and cdo is a great community also :cheers

Bloodbeard:

Sorry about the above discussion almost hijacking your thread Vitzh. For further discussion on the future of Warhammer Forge it should be moved to the “FW Panic Buying thread”. I for one don’t believe CDs will be discontinued and I do believe will have updated rules in 9th edition.

No matter what Vitzh - Chaos Dwarfs will survive. This community (the best of it’s kind) is a testament to that. Pumping out rules, fluff and material since the first disappearance of CDs.

I think you should go for the FW stuff, it’s a brilliant army and great miniatures. Here’s what i would like to have in my collection when finished (and i want a complete LoA list). But some people are fine with making a good 2400 list and just get that, and then start another army. Depends on the hobbyist.

28 Infernal guard with hw/s inc. command (reason: largest regiment I’ll ever field, with castellan and smith for a total of 30.

1 castellan with bsb

2 smiths/prophets (sometimes fielded as 1 prophet and 1 smith - often as 2 smiths)

20 Infernal Guard with fireglaives inc command (reason: often field 12 with cmd, sometimes 2 units of 10).

2 magma cannon (reason: best warmachine in warhammer. But only using 2 in large games)

2 death shrieker (reason: cheap warmachine. great for sniping enemy machines. Will use 2 against t3 armies)

1 Iron Demon (reason: I’ll never field two Iron Demon. Either 1 ID or 1 destroyer. Or 1 of each.)

8 fireborn (reason: 6 is minimum for them to work. 8 is awesome in mega battles)

6 Bull centaurs (reason: often 3 is enough. But they are freaking awesome!)

1 Tauruk (reason: He can eat a demonprince)

This will get you a long way. Have no idea about price (since I don’t use fw models.

Depending on money and skill I would lso suggest:

24 IG with blunderbuss with cmd (reason: 20 is minimum, 24 will give you some bodies to loose in combat. Convert from fireglaives. Alternatively use fireglaive models as "count as - which is fine)

23 IG with GW and cmd (reason: GWs are good in 8th edition. Convert from hw/s models).

1 dread quake mortar (reason: insanely cool model! But game wise i prefer to field hellcannons.)

Shop amok man!

Vitzh:

No worries. Its good to know and the list you posted(and poking about in that other section) have been really helpful.

What I’m surprised about is that about 50 IG is enough from the lists I’ve seen and I had assumed more. I’m also unsure about the Death Shriekers, I don’t remember them being that good and they cost as much as those Magma Cannons. Is Drazhoath worth picking up?

Thanks again!

tenebre:

No worries.  Its good to know and the list you posted(and poking about in that other section) have been really helpful.  

What I'm surprised about is that about 50 IG is enough from the lists I've seen and I had assumed more.  I'm also unsure about the Death Shriekers, I don't remember them being that good and they cost as much as those Magma Cannons.  Is Drazhoath worth picking up?  

Thanks again!

Vitzh
Game wise DS are weak... but they look cool.

My standard list includes 70 IG (and we play at 4k)

Drazhoath the character .. not so much.. the model though is good as he can be a SP on BT

Zuh-Khinie:

Personally, I’m a big fan of death shriekers. They’re very versatile pieces of artillery, and I never leave home without at least 2. They’re more than perfect against low-T units, and can even get a dent in a steamtank.

Fuggit Khan:

If I give myself a budget of about $1k USD what would the forum recommend buying and what would the lists look like?  Is forge world the way to go or would I be better poking about for used models online?

Vitzh
:o $1k USD !! ...you should buy the vintage 4th edition Big Hats and Hobgoblins with that sort of cash!
Sorry, just my pro-Big Hat propaganda kicking in.
I suggest you buy slowly, start off with a unit or two and a war machine...get the feel for them, paint/convert them, whatever.
Avoid buyers remorse in case you decide a different route for your army.
Have you built resin armies before?

hypnotix:

I think deatshrikers are very good for 100 pts, just a lot of monstrous cav and infantry on the battlefields nowadays makes them less usefull.

You are not using K’daai destroyer Bloodbeard?

Bloodbeard:

You are not using K'daai destroyer Bloodbeard?

hypnotix
Yes I am - as stated in a previous post. But the topic is one what FW models to get. That's why it's no included in my list of things to buy. Just as hobgoblins.

Bloodbeard:

You are not using K'daai destroyer Bloodbeard?

hypnotix
Yes I am (but very rarely). But the topic is one what FW models to get. That's why it's no included in my list of things to buy. Just as hobgoblins.

Honeym123:

Not to be selfpromoting, but I have a rather nice cd army consisting of both alternative and forgeworld miniautures of 1020+postage?
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14929

best regards