[Archive] Captain Crook's Army Blog

Captain Crooks:

Hi there,

I introduced myself the other day and mentioned how my interest in Chaos Dwarves began with a lucky discovery in an op-shop… well, here are some photos of that discovery, and this will be the first step in collecting and blogging about my new army project, the mighty Old School Big Hatted Large Nosed Chaos Dwarves (Working title).

Here is what I found in a minature’s case lying in the aisle of a Salvation Army Depot near Sydney:

In addition to all the early 90’s models there were three 80’s heroes, who’s names i have looked up in the past but currently have escaped me…

I was thrilled at the find (it was $45 for all that plus the case), and I  initially intended to resell them on eBay due to their value… but something stayed my hand. Somehow the lure of those tall hats seemed too tantalising, the temptation to throw my lot in with the short evil ones was just too great, so i gave in, and now i’ve got several more models on the way from various sources such as some character models, some old Dwarf flame cannons i will convert into Magma cannons, and more hobgoblins, because I seriously love how nasty and villainous they look… I can’t get enough hobgoblins, regardless of their actual in-game performance! :wink:

I will use this thread as a diary to track my progress. I’m hoping to get some games in with my army once my rulebooks arrive, and i want to document the battles, though my local GW has already informed me that i wont be able to use my CD’s in a tournament as they can’t be purchased in-store (anyone else have this issue? :s) so that will harm my game-time considerably…

I look forward to sharing my adventures with you all :slight_smile:

Gunnerson:

Amazing find Im a bit jelous! You look to be off to a good start. You should be able to pick more minis up on the trade thread here perhaps Bartertown or even Dakka. Im surprised they wont let you run them in the shop. All of the GW battle bunkers and shops here in the states let you run them as long as they are the real deal produced by GW or FW or scratch built. They just dont want the mantic junk or the other knockoffs like Titan or Scibor.

If you do go back to wanting sell the stuff let me be first in line for those hobbos!

gIL^:

Amazing find Im a bit jelous! You look to be off to a good start. You should be able to pick more minis up on the trade thread here perhaps Bartertown or even Dakka. Im surprised they wont let you run them in the shop. All of the GW battle bunkers and shops here in the states let you run them as long as they are the real deal produced by GW or FW or scratch built. They just dont want the mantic junk or the other knockoffs like Titan or Scibor.
If you do go back to wanting sell the stuff let me be first in line for those hobbos!

Gunnerson
I wouldn't say they are knockoff's especially Titan, I picked up a couple of Titan chaos dwarfs and they are excellent and were also made before the Forgeworld Chaos Dwarfs, I personally think Titan nailed the new more evil Chaos Dwarf before GW did.

They are great wished they had guns

Bolg:

What a great find! and i’m glad Hashut got to you before you resold them.

I’m looking forward to seeing your blog grow and welcome to the forum (:

Gunnerson:

Not meaning Knockoff as in poor quality. GW did originate the Chaos Dwarfs and Chaos in general to the best of my knowledge, so any reimagining of the Chaos Dwarf army not issued by GW/FW is in my opionion a knockoff of their IP…To quote a particular historical writer “A rose by any other name…”. It still looks and smells nice but its not the real deal!

Fuggit Khan:

Somewhere out there right now is a guy (crying) who just got back from college only to discover that his Mom cleaned out his room and gave his Games Workshop stuff to the local Salvation Army store…good find for you :hat off

Captain Crooks:

Thanks for the welcome folks! :slight_smile:

All of the GW battle bunkers and shops here in the states let you run them as long as they are the real deal produced by GW or FW or scratch built.

Gunnerson
I couldn’t use my scratch built grot tanks because there are models available from Forgeworld, yet can’t use Chaos Dwarves because they are only available from Forgeworld… mixed messages from GW are hurting my head, hehe.
GW did originate the Chaos Dwarfs and Chaos in general to the best of my knowledge

Gunnerson

GW ‘borrowed’ the concept of chaos from Micheal Moorcock’s Elric saga, and even produced a line of Elric figures at one point. If you read the books you’ll see the nucleus of the whole mythology, especially in the warping influence it has, and even the bit where is spreads from the north…

Somewhere out there right now is a guy (crying) who just got back from college only to discover that his Mom cleaned out his room and gave his Games Workshop stuff to the local Salvation Army store…good find for you :hat off

Fuggit Khan
Worst part was the case also had 10 wolves in it, one with the metal khan head, hut no sign of the riders… oh, and one arm of Astragoth, haha!

Abecedar:

Welcome fellow Aussie, I think you bring our numbers up to about 6 or 7 here at the moment. I’m about 5 hours south of you.

And that was a bloody good find you made. lucky, lucky Bast…!

This evilBay auction ends tomorrow morning and has most of a Ghazak Khan body

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151069758619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

from a memory the 3 fig’s are Finehorn Deathscream, a doomaxe the dreaded variant (love the spider on the helm), and Khazak Doomlord

Captain Crooks:

Welcome fellow Aussie, I think you bring our numbers up to about 6 or 7 here at the moment.  I'm about 5 hours south of you.
And that was a bloody good find you made. lucky, lucky Bast....!

This evilBay auction ends tomorrow morning and has most of a Ghazak Khan body
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151069758619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

from a memory the 3 fig's are Finehorn Deathscream,  a doomaxe the dreaded variant (love the spider on the helm), and Khazak Doomlord

Abecedar
Cheers for the welcome! It was a pretty ridiculous find, but the missing pieces nearly drove me crazy, for hours i scoured every other Salvos depot in the Sydney suburban area trying to find the 'other case' ;)

Is it sad that I already had that eBay auction on watch...? :s

Thanks for the hero names, how many doomaxe variants were there? I remember now that i couldn't find the spiderhelm one in pictures.

Abecedar:

Just the two variants of Doomaxe

Sticklander:

What a find!

My luckiest haul was from a Red Cross charity shop where I found a bag of pre-slotta miniatures for £10! :smiley:

I look forward to seeing how your experiment into the Dawi Zharr goes! :cheers