[Archive] CD - base colour blk or wht?

nitroglysarine:

I ALWAYS base my models with black i’m not saying its the right way, but it works for my empire, my dogs of war and my CD’s.

I was curious what base colour people here use and if they have had problems with either?

Pyro Stick:

I think both black and white are perfectly good for chaos dwarfs but it all depends on what your colour scheme is. For a brighter oclour sceheme use white but for a darker colour scheme use black. Ive always used black but i think i might change to white because the red comes through better with a white basecoat so i dont have to use as many layers. You probably cant tell much of a difference but this first model has a white basecoat and the bottom two have black basecoats:

nitroglysarine:

your right, its very hard to tell a difference.

my empire army is undercoated black, but the colour scheme is hunter green and creamy light brown. it comes out quite well and isn’t to dark.

Thommy H:

Black. Obviously.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

nitroglysarine:

i ask as i was surprised to see a series of ‘in process’ shots of armies with a white undercoat and it, to be honest, looked weird.

Maybe i’m just to used to black.

Border Reiver:

I concur with Pyro - what colour you use for a basecoat should depend on what your colour scheme is and how bright you want the final finish.

Shakhorth:

I’m for the black + white approach. A little something I learned from a friend. You just undercoat with black as normal, but after that you spray a very thin layer of white. This keeps the model relatively dark, but the touch of the white makes the detail come out. Makes it easier to see what you’re painting.

nitroglysarine:

I'm for the black + white approach. A little something I learned from a friend. You just undercoat with black as normal, but after that you spray a very thin layer of white. This keeps the model relitively dark, but the touch of the white makes the detail come out. Makes it easier to see what you're painting.

Shakhorth
nice idea, sort of 'ghost' your miniatures before hand.
might give that a try!

Pyro Stick:

I'm for the black + white approach. A little something I learned from a friend. You just undercoat with black as normal, but after that you spray a very thin layer of white. This keeps the model relatively dark, but the touch of the white makes the detail come out. Makes it easier to see what you're painting.

Shakhorth
Wont that give it quite a thick basecoat? I wouldnt risk doing that and it would also use up your spray a lot faster. Makes sense to just choose one colour.

Clinkz:

I used black for my first few years of painting, it helped cover any mistakes i made during that time and, depending on what i am painting i will still use it. I think its really a case by case basis like it has been mentioned here already.

I will be undercoating my Cd’s with black because i want dark colors where a white undercoat will be way to bright for those models.

as a general rule of thumb i would say go black undercoat but thats just my opinion.: :).

Mario:

I use black for all my models, empire and cds. If i want bright colours i then do a base coat where necessary with a light foundation paint (khemri brown suits red good much better then the mechrite red in my opinion, dheneb stone is excellent for light grey/white/yellow, better then iyanden darksun or tausept ochre)
You also have to remember to get a colour really bright and standing out you just need to contrast it with darker colour.

Usually the first layer of paint is enough after that, so its base black, foundation paint, color.
I know i could thin the paints more and get a smoother result with white and then several layers of color, but i also like the rough look on the minis sometimes, since i dont paint high elves :stuck_out_tongue: I thin my paints a bit, but i usually paint so that one layer covers things.

Its a fast and good looking way to paint. I should have more patience hehe.

I have to try the black base, thin white spray from top left as if light source and then thin glazes over the model method sometime.

Vash:

it completly depends on the colours i use for an army. although i usualy go for a darker palette of colours so i use black a lot.

but i’ve washed an army once for a tournement, it needed to be painted fast. so i used the washes over a white basecoat and that works like a charm. a single coat of asurman blue wash over white basecoat gives a lovely blue finish. same goes for green and mud washes.

Shakhorth:

I'm for the black + white approach. A little something I learned from a friend. You just undercoat with black as normal, but after that you spray a very thin layer of white. This keeps the model relatively dark, but the touch of the white makes the detail come out. Makes it easier to see what you're painting.

Shakhorth
Wont that give it quite a thick basecoat? I wouldnt risk doing that and it would also use up your spray a lot faster. Makes sense to just choose one colour.

Pyro Stick
Nope it won't give a thicker basecoat since you put a very small layer on it. The entire technique is to enhance the detail, it gives an almost greyish effect.
Nor will you use up more of your spray. My black goes as long as normal, my white spray can lasts for about 3 times as long.
I had the same reservations as you Pyro Stick but it really does help.

Bassman:

Shakhorth

Pyro Stick
Nope it won't give a thicker basecoat since you put a very small layer on it. The entire technique is to enhance the detail, it gives an almost greyish effect.
Nor will you use up more of your spray. My black goes as long as normal, my white spray can lasts for about 3 times as long.
I had the same reservations as you Pyro Stick but it really does help.

Shakhorth
I use the same techinique and it works really well (you can check my Golden Hats... lol ;) ).
Prime black, covering every crevice, then I add a light spray with white, following the direction of the light. E.G. if you suppose to paint the minihas it has the sun light coming from the left you have to spray with can hig form the left, the same position as the sun.

I always use this technique, it's easy and fast being able to enanche every detail very quickly and easily. Be careful, the white layer shall be very thin.

Every miniature here (but the warriors) has been primed with this technique:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3392

Where I learnt? From the master of course! Not that I'm even close to him but it's always good idea to take ideas from the masters ;)

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=48053&highlight=georc

cornixt:

I use black, except on the skin for elves and dwarfs, which I base in white. Never liked using the spray, I just use the paint pots.

ryanamandaanna:

I tend to prefer black, as it hides mistakes better… :wink:

Ogrob:

White, always white. I have a slightly odd way of painting that doesn’t work with black undercoat.

After basecoat, I will start with getting a solid coat of what would normally be the highlight color, and then I will shade this down with a series of washes and glazes and what not. Often using the GW washes because it accomplishes this quickly, but I was painting this way before I tried those.

nitroglysarine:

wow, split minds on this.

guess its all down to the painting system.

GRNDL:

I’ve been quiet on this, but since the idea of preference seems to be swaying “correct” ways based on no real data, I’ll add what I know.

As with any technique, there’s pros and cons. You need decide how to approach the model in a way that fits what you want to do with it. As for “what the experts do”, realize that these guys have lots of time and go to great lengths to get specific effects. You might want to ask yourself if you’re using oil paints, airbrushes, weathering powders and the rest…

* Painting an undercoat of any colour will only make a difference if you paint lightly on top of it. The undercoat has to show through in order for it to have a visual effect on the viewer. If light cannot penetrate the upper layers of paint on the model, it doesn’t matter what’s underneath it.  That being said, most professional painters use layered washes, rather than solid colour, so they’re already using much less paint that most people would. If you’re not lightly painting on top of an undercoat, I don’t think it makes much difference.

* If you want fast and dirty, use a dark undercoat. Why? Because if you’re lazy or don’t want to address every scrap of area on your model, you can leave it and it won’t attract attention. White is glaringly obvious to see, and can be depressing to get rid of.

* If you want bright vivid colours, use white or off white, but paint thinly on top of it. GeOrcs advice for spraying a white primer from the direction of light might lend some optical qualities, but I think its advantage will be in reminding the painter how to paint the model, like a guide coat/wash. Afterall, if you paint thickly on top of a white mini, not much light will be reflected from the lower levels, which will reduce the effectiveness of the white underneath.

* If you have lots of metallic paints to use on a model, go black. Metallic paints rely on chunks of metal particulate to achieve that look (as opposed to dyes and pigment in other paints), so they tend to show lots of the undercoat underneath unless they’re really caked on. Painting black underneath before the metals help with how they read.

* Use both!!  Have a mini that needs vibrant colours and yet has lots of dark bits or metals? Spray white, touch up bits needing something darker. You don’t have to solve every issue with a spray…  Obviously this is time consuming, so ask yourself how much time you want to spend on the model? Rank and file, say screw it, do it black and move along…  Golden Daemon? Spend the time…

Personally, i think the best advice is to not use any specific technique unless you understand how it helps you, or at the very least, gives you substantial results. If you’re using a technique because that’s how you think people do it, it might not be working for you - there might be a better alternative. Bottom line, do you want to do what you want, or be better? Sometimes those line up, sometimes (most often) they don’t.

Henroth:

Black always.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.