[Archive] CD beasts of burden

The Odor:

A simple question. I know the zharrs use slaves for… everything but do they have any beasts of burden? Like… Giant Moles? Or is it just lines of greenskins?

Abecedar:

anything they can catch or you want or can think of they would use is my opinion.

RichardC1967:

probably Thundertusks/Stonehorns and/or Rhinox’s traded from Ogre Kingdoms

Geist:

I could easily see chaos dwarfs doing a large market in ogres. Not just now and again to man the mortar either. But like to help get the fires up super hot in the forges, felling trees. Kinda like an ogre work force.

beefcake:

What about Things like Bulls or Cows? Or are they too much of a sacred creature.

Zuh-Khinie:

Why wouldn’t they just use the trains they have as ‘beasts of burden’? Maybe they do use ogres in large numbers as haulers in mines or something similar, but I think they’d use smaller versions of their steam carriages to haul the larger loads around.

And when a riot breaks out, they have a warmachine on site to subdue the slaves, or they can just flee to get reinforcements faster.

Vardan Painkiller:

arent huge beast more difficult to controll, i think its easier to scare 50 goblins than 1 thundertusk.

Animatone:

I would love to see CD Thundertusks and Stonehorns. The models are already cool enough and to armor them up a bit and put a few dwarfs on their back would be awesome!

CopperPot:

I cant imagine chaos dwarfs using animals for some reason like pulling warmachines into battle just dont seem right to me.

They use slave power or just create something mechanical to do the job.

Grimstonefire:

I can see them using Slave giants for hauling massive rocks etc. Anything else that can move on relatively flat ground I imagine would be pulled by a steam wagon or slaves.

Stonetusks would have a use in a similar way to elephants in the real world, who were used for clearing ground and moving massive blocks of stone for buildings. The reason they were used instead of humans in our case would be because of efficiency of movement (it being easier to negotiate terrain etc given the strength required and the number of people needed in comparison).

There would be a lot of occasions when steam wagons couldn’t get to places and getting angles for slave ropes etc would just be impractical.

Animatone:

I can see them using Slave giants for hauling massive rocks etc.  Anything else that can move on relatively flat ground I imagine would be pulled by a steam wagon or slaves.

Stonetusks would have a use in a similar way to elephants in the real world, who were used for clearing ground and moving massive blocks of stone for buildings.  The reason they were used instead of humans in our case would be because of efficiency of movement (it being easier to negotiate terrain etc given the strength required and the number of people needed in comparison).

There would be a lot of occasions when steam wagons couldn't get to places and getting angles for slave ropes etc would just be impractical.

Grimstonefire
Well put.

I think I've found a new use for some OK stuff I have laying around.

Admiral:

I cant imagine chaos dwarfs using animals for some reason like pulling warmachines into battle just dont seem right to me.

They use slave power or just create something mechanical to do the job.

CopperPot
Although Warmachines would mostly be tractored into battle by Iron Daemons or other mechanical contraptions, it would still be silly of the Chaos Dwarfs to not use beasts of burden for civilian purposes.

During WWII, which was a highly mechanized war where the major powers were concerned, horses found widespread use for pulling wagons and artillery pieces. I agree that Chaos Dwarfs ought to make great use of slave labour and mechanical vessels, but considering the grand industry of the Dawi Zharr they would almost certainly fasten anything with pulling power before their mine wagons and carts, including Stonehorns, slave Giants, Ogres, captured horses and mules and perhaps even oxen (if these are not viewed as sacred). And hordes of chained Gnoblars would almost count as beasts of burden rather than slaves. :D

Besides, would it not be pleasant for a sadistic little dwarf to whip and goad beasts of burden the size of elephants?

Edit: There is a mention in Tamurkhan of huge, ash-covered beasts of burden along the mechanical contraptions in the caravans of the Chaos Dwarfs.

Kera foehunter:

Boar centaurs power most of the old warmachine