[Archive] CD biggest weakness (LoA)?

Marduk:

That’s a great idea.

Discoking, please give us the link to the existing thread about deployment so that we can avoid being repetitive.

Gmaleron:

When it comes to deployment I have had quite a bit of success with the “swinging gate” tactic when I played Wood Elves and even now with My High Elves. Basically I have had my anvil units hold either the center or a flank and then place my others on the opposite flank, so for example in regards to Chaos Dwarfs:

-----IG-----IG---------------------------------------BC------K’daai Destroyer
----MC-----MC------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically throw all your heavy hitting units on a flank, run them up and hopefully smash that flank. With your “anvil” flank you could advance a little forward in the hopes of drawing out your opponents forces and force him to consider moving to support the other flank. Done this in the three games I have played in so far and am currently 3-0 using this tactic. :hat off

In regards to weaknesses I have had some issues with magic as well but mainly in the form of players either taking Lore of Shadow or Lore of Metal against me as both lores seem to destroy my infernal guard blocks with ease with shades and searing doom. Also the low numbers hurt and the lack of long range shooting outside our artillery also has hurt a little. I am definitely considering however running my units with pure Hand Weapons, Shields and Blunderbusses to help in regards to dealing with horde armies and possibly thin out the numbers of scary hard hitting units like white lions, ogres ect.

Discoking:

That's a great idea.

Discoking, please give us the link to the existing thread about deployment so that we can avoid being repetitive.

Marduk
There is no link - It's in the "How to Win with LoA" thread.
This is what I found there:

Try to castle with the infantry blocks, with the warmachines nearer the middle of the board (hellcannon furthest away from the infantry to protect that flank). Khans to go where they can cause most mischief. Destroyer as close to enemy infantry as possible (but not so it gets mired down), bull centaurs either extreme flank or to support the destroyer in causing carnage if needed.

But I was thinking more of a:
"Against Ogres" or "Against Lizardmen"...
Specific match-up & Deployment rules :hat off

burock:

the deployment problem due to having less drops could have been solved by scouts had we got any. that would cost us -1 for who will go first roll; but it’s a viable tactic for dwarfs to have rangers and cover the deployment weaknesses later on.

Samanos:

I guess it is possible to talk about match-ups but i dont think there is a specific wa to deploy. it depends too much on the terrain, your opponent and his army to have a standard deployment imo.

richard barby:

i think the army doesnt know if its aurthur or marthur you have to get your build spot on or you end up with fast maving troops getting strung out slow moving troops caught in a middle ground and war machines that get picked off

to counter it you reallyto get your build spot on. a build around sit in the corner and shoot lots boring as hell.or everything moves quick flyer with mage on it destroyer wolf riders centurs hell cannon and playing this build your army is tiny so you may end up even more outnumberd than the static build

javi:

After some testing I think Chalice of Blood and Darkness helps dealing with the main issue I was having: magic phases. I still have to use it against some very strong magic armies, but against O&G and OK it has proven to be worth every point. There isn’t a rule for how to use it always as it finally comes down to common sense and the situation of the game, (I am just stating my opinion here through my experience over only 2 games using Chalice, which can and may be wrong, so please just discuss) but using it in your magic phase when you get any 8+ result in WoM, and more specifically if you roll a at least 1x6, really makes it so much easier, as it allows you to throw “the spell” 6 dice against 4/3.

For dispelling, any average 7 dice WoM or less may be a good target for the Chalice, if what you want is to negate your opponent spells like 13th, PoS, etc and you already used your DS.

Even in the best case scenario you can withdrawn 3 dice from your pool and 1 from your opponents. It happened to me yesterday but did not hurt much as WoM had been 5+6.

Anyway, apologies for such a long post and also this may have been already discussed in another thread, but I thought it was a good place to comment it given that I myself mentioned magic phases as one of our biggest weaknesses.

Javi.

Samanos:

For dispelling, any average 7 dice WoM or less may be a good target for the Chalice, if what you want is to negate your opponent spells like 13th, PoS, etc and you already used your DS.

javi
I dont have the book with me right now, so I may be wrong, but dont you have to use the chalice after you have rolled for magic?
being able to use any time in the magic phase seems a bit broken to me....

javi:

Indeed, its only usable at the beginning of the magic phase, after WoM. I did not want to say the opposite, I meant if you already used your DS in your previous turns, and therefore you are undefended against a 6 dice roll that may get a 13th, dwellers, pit, etc of

Regards

Samanos:

ah gotcha. im wrong as well sice where you have DS i read dispell dice lol :slight_smile: