[Archive] CD Hats?

Cryonicleech:

After view Snotling’s 10,000% Gorgeous models, I was sure that I was going to use masks/helms. But I’ve had a change of heart. I’ve decided to use hats for my upcoming CD army, and I don’t know what to use for them!

I am thinking about cutting the Dwarf Helmet flat and putting on the top of a thumbtack for a hat. Would this be suitable? any other ideas would be also helpful

GRNDL:

That is the most tried and trusted method. Many of the hat armies around here use that technique. Some fill out the thumb tack with GS and decorate it. Some put horns and other decorations onto the tack directly, but the truth is that a thumb tack’s diameter almost seamlessly fits the size of a dwarf’s head. Its like it was meant to be!

tjub:

Ive done mine with thumbtacks, and IMO it works great!

Heres my blog if you want more pics.

Cryonicleech:

Woahses, that’s awesome tjub! thanks!!!

yeah, i’ll probably use thumbtacks now.

I’d actually better start working on them… he he he

GRNDL:

Yep, I think Tjub is a master of the tack hat (and beard in RL), he seems to take the use of the tack to new heights. I think he just has to work on his smile technique - its just not working out in his avatar pic. :slight_smile:

Willmark:

I’m predicting a world wide shortage of push pins, economists are at a lost to explain the run up on this seemingly mundane item!

Kera foehunter:

i think with the tall hat it the best way to go!!

Cryonicleech:

Well, Tjub, uno question.

Do I need some kinda pretty thing-a-ma-jig on top of my hats? Or can I leave the sharp pin in there. I actually might take it off…

GRNDL:

You’ll probably want to get rid of the pin itself and leave the plastic bit. Just trim it off with a pair of clippers. Make sure you hold both parts of the pin so when you clip it, the metal doesn’t fly off into something like your eye. I stick the pin into some wood (usually my work bench) hold on to the plastic bit and clip, then use pliers to pull the metal bit out of the wood.

two_heads_talking:

don’t use Gw clippers on the thumbtacks… the metal on the pin is much harder than a paperclip or other stuff. It will actually deform your clippers. If you use anything a pair of sidecutter or dikes electric snips will work.

Time of Madness:

Saftey is no accident! Bite the metal bit off with your teeth :wink:

Time of Madness

tjub:

I cut it off with a cable cutter and then green stuff the top…

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’ve just finished making a tutorial on making them with pushpins. (Unfortunately, I can’t upload it until Monday earliest mind…)

Kera foehunter:

that is cool hb!! can’t wait to see Tutorial

snowblizz:

I'm predicting a world wide shortage of push pins, economists are at a lost to explain the run up on this seemingly mundane item!

Willmark
:idea Ah-ha! An opportunity for me to write some research papers! :hat off

Thorgar:

one of the things I did to make CD hats is to use lego bits, maybe cut a few parts and glue them together, it may be hard to get the specific bits, unless you have some spare pieces lying around.

Swissdictator:

Tacks and LOTS of old skeleton shields… hmmm I think I still have a bunch… I hope. I might have to… “re hat” my army.

Ghrask Dragh:

Saftey is no accident! Bite the metal bit off with your teeth ;)
Time of Madness

Time of Madness

:D:D:D:D
How did I miss that one! Worthy of some slaves at least :hat off