[Archive] CD warmachines and rust?

Grimstonefire:

Seems to me that with FW having a large supply of weathering powders that when they come to paint the new CD warmachines it will be tempting to put an unhealthy amount of rust all over them.

My question to you all is how appropriate do you think this is for the chaos dwarfs?

On the one hand it would show that they’re badass dwarfs who don’t mind rust as long as it still functions.  On the otherhand the (western) dwarf mindset is to keep things rust free where possible, as far as I know. So would this be a CD trait as well?

dncswlf:

Seems to me they’d want to keep their warengines in top notch shape… and with the abundance of slaves who can while away their hours polishing I think they would have no problem!

Thommy H:

I can’t imagine this would ever matter. Just paint what you think is cool and invent your own justification for it.

The_Bear_in_the_Hat:

It depends on the look of the rest of your army, I suppose.  If you have lots of clean-painted and shiney-axed CDs then it would be odd to do rust on the machines.  Equally, it’s probably not very “Chaos Dwary” to have rust, just like it’s wouldn’t be very “High Elfy” for them to look rusty…but there are always individual styles.

I would say that the CD standard would probably be clean rather than rusted, but given that most Chaos Dwarf armies are individualised and converted these days “standard” doesn’t really count for much.

Nicodemus:

Seems to me they'd want to keep their warengines in top notch shape...  and with the abundance of slaves who can while away their hours polishing I think they would have no problem!

dncswlf
Mightn't even matter how much the slaves polish... if the environment is volcanic there'll be a lot of acid rain (likely as sulfuric acid) which will rapidly corrode and eat away most metals. Although I don't particularly like the orc look of patchwork metal plates, this might every well be a necessity too. Either that or your Dawi Zharr may have to come up with some kind of glass or crystalline coating to paint on their warmachines to keep them from corroding. ... either that or just keep strapping a new slave on to the mass of dead/rotting/screaming ones that have been chained down and are forming the framework for your warmachine... it's all the rage in Zharr Naggrund you know ;)

~N

GRNDL:

I think its very appropriate, since it’ll make it more “industrial” and generate more interest. Rust, verdigris, scratches, daemonic “residue”, carbon/ash, blued metals, etc. I think everything is fair game.

I just don’t see their machines shiny.

Baggronor:

I think ‘weathered’ is the look that fashionable CDs adopt :wink: Grimy, oiled, blood-slicked, its all good. Falling apart, however, is not. I paint my machines in a gunmetal shade, and apply plenty of black and brown wash to the wheels and joints; makes it look grungy but maintained.

cornixt:

it's probably not very "Chaos Dwary" to have rust, just like it's wouldn't be very "High Elfy" for them to look rusty.....but there are always individual styles.

The_Bear_in_the_Hat
You've just given me an idea for how to make HE into a half-decent looking army without the dullness. Make them a stranded battalion, with tattered uniforms and rusty weapons, trying to get home.

The_Bear_in_the_Hat:

You've just given me an idea for how to make HE into a half-decent looking army without the dullness. Make them a stranded battalion, with tattered uniforms and rusty weapons, trying to get home.

cornixt
Actually beat you to that one mate ;)

I did about 2000 points in that style before switching to a green and blue naval-army style. My "Tatty Elves" were turned into undead and given to a friend's son for Christmas.

nitroglysarine:

I’m keeping rust VERY low on my models, the main think i’m aiming to do it a layer of grease so a dark blue shading, or a wash to give the appearence of treatment.

Do demon engines rust, interesting question.

silentbob27:

I see the CD’s as having very oily warmachines and such. Not much rust at all.

Hobgoblin weapons and bolt throwers, I see rust and grime

nitroglysarine:

I see the CD's as having very oily warmachines and such. Not much rust at all.

Hobgoblin weapons and bolt throwers, I see rust and grime

silentbob27
on second thoughts, that's bang on!

Abecedar:

Baggronor and silent bob have it right. CD’s well maintained, Hobbo’s rusty and grimy. All the machines would be made of the bestest, toughest and really rust resistant alloys they find and then have the slaves polish them.

Fequiil:

I think its very appropriate, since it'll make it more "industrial" and generate more interest. Rust, verdigris, scratches, daemonic "residue", carbon/ash, blued metals, etc. I think everything is fair game.

I just don't see their machines shiny.

GRNDL
yep, me neither.

Fallen246:

Although I agree with Thommy H that it’s all up to your own personal preference, I’d have to also say that oiled/grimy and/or tarnished and/or some daemonic influence on the metal’s colour is what I’d expect from CDs.

Border Reiver:

I don’t see the Dawi Zharr’s machines, weapons or armour as rusty - at their core they are dwarfs with their respect for craftsmanship. Worn and well maintained by all means, perhaps even with lots of oil in moving joints to indicate the lubrication necessary, but not rusted - that would be disrespectful to the craftsman who made it.

All that being said - there is an argument that a landtrain, etc would be dusty or with mud on it depending on the terrain you’re moving through.

nitroglysarine:

I guess if anyone was going to invent Stainless Steel, it’d be CD’s!

cornixt:

CDs are pretty far from everyone else, so an army low on supplies like oil would feasibly have some rusting war machines for some time before they can replenish since they can’t get it shipped from home very easily.